Sword Equip Issue

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:30 AM

*>>>>No picked up swords are equippable, even when initially starting with the item.<<<<

(Secondary B-Button items seem just fine.)

Currently making a very large X-Men Zelda game involving customizing all items as equippable powers that change characters.

Either I changed something stupid without realizing or I'm experiencing a bug.

At first I thought it was the excessive amount of backups, DMAPs and long music,

but even reverting to prior versions and removing the music and backups doesn't fix this;

neither does using new downloads of the Zelda Classic player or backup files I emailed to myself in case of data loss.

I'd really prefer not to start over at the 11th hour, because I've been working on this for a year.

I've been saving versions as I progress, but I must have changed something a long time ago

and not noticed as I've just been adding heaps of content after everything was working appropriately before.

I must have changed this on even the oldest working version,

encountered a bug with the programs themselves, or changed a program setting in the editor or player itself.

I'm trying to hurry up and at least release a partial version with the beginning areas before my birthday in 6 days,

but if I can't fix the swords the whole thing is shot.

Any thoughts on what I might have done or how to get around this issue?

I'm using 2.50(.2?), not using any scripts at all.

I've tried downloading the newer release to see if there's a more intuitive way to edit things back to working order

*but in Windows 10 I can't open the editor even when running as an administrator or using the bundled launcher

*(and in this new version of Zelda Classic the Roc's feathers show a mirror image of the character below the jump

whereas in the version I'm using it's only the shadow as is appropriate).

*Also, I'm not sure if I've forgotten how to appropriately code my USB SNES controller, but a couple of the buttons seem switched around now. When I open the player and open the option to set them then click on the different controller buttons to set the functions, it doesn't seem to read what buttons I'm pressing on the controller. If it's just setting the keyboard keys which the controller is pressing after the fact there doesn't seem to be an option where I can set the correct controller buttons to press the correct buttons because there aren't enough buttons to set in the player.

I'd be more than happy to send a copy of the current version to check for anything that stands out if anyone wants an email.

Help?

[Update: Tried saving a duplicate file with all item defaults reset, and the initial sword still doesn't show up. What on Earth is going on?]

[Update 2: Playing normal original game file for The Legend of Zelda works normally, so it's not the program, just a custom quest setting?]

Edited by Thunderfist, 09 April 2019 - 09:11 AM.

#2 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:38 AM

Could you try sending me the most recent file?

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:36 AM

Have you used the subscreen editor at all for your quest? A pretty common mistake is setting the "Can Select A-Button Weapon On Subscreen" quest rule while still using a default subscreen which doesn't have the selectable sword. Any case where the sword doesn't appear on the subscreen in ZQuest or does but can't be selected in ZC, those are usually subscreen editor issues.

If the sword does appear to equip to the button but can't be used, that could be a sign of a more serious issue.

#4 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:58 AM

Just sent a message requesting your email so I can send you the game file.

I really appreciate it.

I played around with subscreens a little while trying to figure them out, still haven't, but already tried selecting and de-selecting that rule so that's not it.

Thanks for trying. Any other ideas?

#5 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:04 AM

My idea has to do with the subscreen. But, it's easier if I can just poke around in the file. Then if I figure it out, I can explain how I did it.

#6 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:09 AM

Sent.

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:30 AM

*>>>>No picked up swords are equippable, even when initially starting with the item.<<<<

(Secondary B-Button items seem just fine.)

Currently making a very large X-Men Zelda game involving customizing all items as equippable powers that change characters.

Either I changed something stupid without realizing or I'm experiencing a bug.

At first I thought it was the excessive amount of backups, DMAPs and long music,

but even reverting to prior versions and removing the music and backups doesn't fix this;

neither does using new downloads of the Zelda Classic player or backup files I emailed to myself in case of data loss.

I'd really prefer not to start over at the 11th hour, because I've been working on this for a year.

I've been saving versions as I progress, but I must have changed something a long time ago

and not noticed as I've just been adding heaps of content after everything was working appropriately before.

I must have changed this on even the oldest working version,

encountered a bug with the programs themselves, or changed a program setting in the editor or player itself.

I'm trying to hurry up and at least release a partial version with the beginning areas before my birthday in 6 days,

but if I can't fix the swords the whole thing is shot.

Any thoughts on what I might have done or how to get around this issue?

I'm using 2.50(.2?), not using any scripts at all.

I've tried downloading the newer release to see if there's a more intuitive way to edit things back to working order

*but in Windows 10 I can't open the editor even when running as an administrator or using the bundled launcher

*(and in this new version of Zelda Classic the Roc's feathers show a mirror image of the character below the jump

whereas in the version I'm using it's only the shadow as is appropriate).

*Also, I'm not sure if I've forgotten how to appropriately code my USB SNES controller, but a couple of the buttons seem switched around now. When I open the player and open the option to set them then click on the different controller buttons to set the functions, it doesn't seem to read what buttons I'm pressing on the controller. If it's just setting the keyboard keys which the controller is pressing after the fact there doesn't seem to be an option where I can set the correct controller buttons to press the correct buttons because there aren't enough buttons to set in the player.

I'd be more than happy to send a copy of the current version to check for anything that stands out if anyone wants an email.

Help?

[Update: Tried saving a duplicate file with all item defaults reset, and the initial sword still doesn't show up. What on Earth is going on?]

[Update 2: Playing normal original game file for The Legend of Zelda works normally, so it's not the program, just a custom quest setting?]

It isn't just the subscreen: You need to enable the Quest Rule, Can Select A-Button Weapon On Subscreen, in Quest->Rules->Other->1.

Once you do this, you will want to build your subscreen based on the A+B type as a template.

If you are on Windows, note that support for 2.50.2 (and earlier 2.50.x builds) ends in 21 days. You should upgrade to 2.53.0. Issues in your report have already been resolved in the update.

#8 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:33 AM

So, I got to where you can select the sword freely. However, it's not displaying the image for the sword on the subscreen. For whatever reason.

The item has a GFX, so it makes no sense.

#9 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:45 AM

I believe I tried with the rule both enabled and disabled, using the standard stock subscreen. Good tip, though, thank you.

Would anyone else like a copy to poke around?
I believe what you're describing is how it's intended, partially. The item graphic for each character's primary power (or Sword) should appear as a color version of that character's graphic showing them using the power, with an L in the bottom left corner indicating this weapon changes the (Link Tile Modifier) leader graphic and a number indicating the strength of the item power. Since you start with Professor X as the default character and keep his temporarily replaceable stun blast sword, you'll see at the top left of his Link tiles page where there are 3 such icons for each of his powers you get in the game, and his sword should have no Link Tile Modifier offset as all the others do given that his is the default graphic. The item graphic for the weapon should be set to reflect this icon, but if it's not I'm at a loss.

What did you change to make the weapon selectable???

Edited by Thunderfist, 09 April 2019 - 10:48 AM.

#10 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:26 AM

He said it's selectable in the subscreen if I make a space for it, but it's invisible??

#11 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:14 PM

So, I got to where you can select the sword freely. However, it's not displaying the image for the sword on the subscreen. For whatever reason.

The item has a GFX, so it makes no sense.

Is it set as an equipment item? What is the position data for the sword on the subscreen?

Send the file to me, and I'll see if I can find the error. 

#12 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:37 PM

Send me your email
I've tried as both equipment item and not, but I know basically nothing about subscreens.

#13 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:42 AM

Anyone know how to fix an invisible sword icon in the subscreen?

Edited by Thunderfist, 10 April 2019 - 06:43 AM.

#14 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:12 PM

I tried to see how hard recreating my quest would be, and came upon an interesting clue.

When I export the tiles and import into a new save, the sword disappears.

I think I erased the graphics tile for the subscreen icon, and that might be separate from the actual item graphic.

Is that a possibility?

#15 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:39 PM

I sent a revised quest file to you:

I added the A+B subscreens to your quest--not sure how they were missing--, and I set them on all of your DMaps, then I enabled the QR. You should be set, insofar as setting the sword to any button.

What in the world did you use as a base quest file? That looks like it was built over a 1.84 or 1.90 quest.

Oh. it's invisible because you have 26+ sword items, oftenset to the same level. You can't do that. The subscreen doesn't know what to display.

Every single item that shares an itemclass must be a unique level ID.

I'm not sure what the heck you have going on here, but you need to clean up your inventory, so that each item in a given itemclass has a unique, incrementing level, starting at 1.

In the year that you have spent working on the quest, when was the last time you tested to see if it worked?

When I set the item override, to something valid, I could see a sword. You absolutely need to fix all of your items in the fixed quest file that I sent to you, before they will work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users