• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:54 AM

Well damn... This feels more connected to Breath of the Wild than I had expected. It comes out November 20th too!

• Adem, Eddy, Jenny and 3 others like this

#2 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:08 AM

Hyrule Warriors isn't my favorite thing ever, but I'm always excited to get new ways to explore Breath of the Wild's world.  :love:

• Shane, Avaro, Jenny and 1 other like this

#3 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:12 AM

It's not Breath of the Wild 2, but it's still nice to see another addition to the BotW storyline. I also suppose that means that this Hyrule Warriors will actually be canon, unlike the first one which supposedly isn't. I'm sure that wont confuse anyone at all.

I never actually played the first Hyrule Warriors and never gave it much thought, but this is making me wonder if I should give it a try.

• Shane likes this

#4 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:27 PM

I’m really confused as to why this exists. Like we got pretty much the whole story of what happened 100 years prior to BotW in BotW itself, so this isn’t really needed. As this game is canon from the looks of it, it’s going to restrict the game a lot too. The original HW isn’t canon as far as I’m aware and that gave it more freedom to do whatever it wanted.

Beyond that, the game looks fine I guess. It’ll be interesting to see what they do for music as BotW didn’t have many themes to remaster or bring over really.

It’s also worth noting that this game will probably get remastered, ported or a definitive edition in the future with more content, so best to probably wait for that. (As I have no Switch, I’ll be waiting regardless).

#5 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 09 September 2020 - 12:01 PM

I’m really confused as to why this exists. Like we got pretty much the whole story of what happened 100 years prior to BotW in BotW itself, so this isn’t really needed. As this game is canon from the looks of it, it’s going to restrict the game a lot too. The original HW isn’t canon as far as I’m aware and that gave it more freedom to do whatever it wanted.

Beyond that, the game looks fine I guess. It’ll be interesting to see what they do for music as BotW didn’t have many themes to remaster or bring over really.

It’s also worth noting that this game will probably get remastered, ported or a definitive edition in the future with more content, so best to probably wait for that. (As I have no Switch, I’ll be waiting regardless).

There's also the issue of the possibility of only characters from BOTW being playable. One of the appeals of the first game was the fact you could play characters from different Zelda titles, but this being a prequel to BOTW pretty much shots that down. Or i hope i'm wrong and they add characters from other titles in the series that weren't playable in the first game, which would be cool.

#6 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 09 September 2020 - 12:57 PM

Assuming we did need to see the events 100 years before BotW, this feels like the right way to do it. Given that it's pretty much canonically an all-out war, the normal Zelda one-man adventure/puzzle gameplay/story definitely seems like it'd be the wrong approach, whereas having our characters involved in big battles would make much more sense.

I mean, as long as they don't ruin the lore (and that seems unlikely), it'll be at worst a somewhat pointless extra distraction, plot-wise. And the gameplay would more or less balance that out for me.

Not that I, uh, played the first one. Or have played any Warriors game, except for one of the Dynasty Warriors on PS2 at a friend's house once.

Still, as Matthew said, it's nice to have another way to experience BotW's world, and this'll tide us over until BotW2. I'm excited.

Edited by klop422, 09 September 2020 - 12:58 PM.

• Jared likes this

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 09 September 2020 - 02:04 PM

With the original Hyrule Warriors, my reaction was mainly just curiosity, helped by my Zelda obsession. In the end, it was a fun enough game, a decent mindless waste of time with an alright plot. And too many Adventure Mode maps that were grindy as hell and I lost interest in completing any of them. (Allegedly the 3DS and maybe the Switch versions made them slightly less grindy but I never experienced them.)

This game on the other hand was immediately more appealing. Sure, the fanservice aspect of the original where you could play as so many different characters from levels across the series as well as new original levels was neat, but this one having a pure focus on a specific period has my interest. There's a plot, there's a goal, and how heavy is this plot going to be? Do we get to witness the murders of the champions one-by-one in the waning levels? Is this going to break our hearts? I'm far more intrigued by what's in store here, as well as who the robot egg buddy on the cover's going to be.

• Adem and Jared like this

#8 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:11 AM

They could have just been like, Hyrule Warriors 2. More maps, more characters, more things, and I would have been pleased. I love Warrior game. But this taking place in the actual BotW mentioned war has me extra excited.
  • Jared likes this

#9 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:40 AM

For me i Wait for more Information i dont know but it Feels like i dont have seen anything from the Game more like i Have seen thinks from Breath of the Wild so maybe and just maybe we didnt saw realy something from Warriors Itself more from Breath of the Wild which only should show the Theme of the Game :D

#10 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 11 September 2020 - 06:48 AM

A Warriors game with only half a dozen playable characters? Meeeeeehhhh... I dunno.

Honestly, as much as I love Dynasty Warriors 3 and 4, nothing else has captured my interest. I love the costumes, the music, the campiness, the story, the core gameplay... something about the soul of those games is missing in later entries - including Hyrule Warriors. I don't really know what it is. Maybe the unnecessary complexity with weapon fusions and stuff? The lack of voice acting is a huge bummer too. Maybe it's just too out of place to see Zelda characters in a Warriors setting.

In any case, I have very little interest in this. The 2020 Switch drought continues...
  • Matthew likes this

#11 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 11 September 2020 - 03:11 PM

Im kind of interested because the idea, story and presentation seem great. Not a fan of Warriors games but still

#12 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 October 2020 - 05:11 PM

I'm kind of on the fence about this.

While I liked Hyrule Warriors, in my mind it sat firmly outside of canon whereas this game is to my knowledge supposed to provide some backstory?? to canon?

Whatever. it's the Zelda timeline. spend 60 bucks on it or something

#13 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 19 November 2020 - 05:39 AM

Downloading the game right now, and probably will be able to play in just 2 hours.  :slycool:

#14 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:00 AM

There was one memory in BotW where it shows Link and Zelda standing among a huge field of fallen foes. Literally when I saw that, it made me think of Hyrule Warriors. So we've come full circle. :P

I won't be able to play till tomorrow, but I'm downloading it now. Ultimately, I think it will be fun enough on its own, and from what I've heard so far, it's not quite as grindy, or repetitive as the original.

• Daniel likes this

#15 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 01 December 2020 - 02:52 AM

Gotta say, I've been thinking about this for a while now after I completed it. It was pretty good up until the end for me.

Major spoilers are about to be revealed here. Here's some messy thoughts about how I feel that might interest you.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users