Photo

Screenshot of the Week 177

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 177 (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:49 PM

HeavyTitanium:

Very good. It's usually darker than that on rainy days, though. Also, I think you're curving my shore tiles a bit much; not sure they'll look as good in motion. Incidentally, what's that thing in the upper-right?

IaN:

Nice, but it looks like a tileset demo. Nothing is happening. icon_shrug.gif Like the palette, though.

Moonwhisper:

Definitely a good Pure screen, but it has the typical Pure issue of having few colors and too much heavy black outline. Good job with the design, though.

Newbydude:

Not bad, but the trees and canopy to the south are too squarish and straight. Nature needs more randomness than that. It also has what I'm sorry to say is a typical problem with my tileset, in that the ground "debris" looks like a lot of random stuff fell off of a cart that just drove by.

Shoelace:

Ooooh, VERY nice colors. icon_smile.gif It has detail, it is pleasing to the eye, and it is well thought-out and designed. For me, this beats out IaN's, because of the reasons I just stated, plus there's more interesting stuff to look at, including two character sprites. *votes*

#17 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:00 PM

IaN. I love it.
Shoelace, close second, I just don't like whatever that thing in the water is.

#18 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:01 PM

IPB Image<
That thing in the water on the right is an ocean rock just to let you guys know(Do you think i should make transluceant DOR water)

Edited by HeavyTitanium, 17 September 2007 - 09:02 PM.

#19 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:29 PM

It was tough between IaN and Shoelace for me. After looking at them for long enough, I decided that Shoelace's shot was most appealing to me. Magnificent job!

#20 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE(HeavyTitanium @ Sep 17 2007, 07:01 PM) View Post

That thing in the water on the right is an ocean rock just to let you guys know

Hmm, to be honest, it doesn't look much like rock. The colors just look wrong.

#21 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:38 AM

QUOTE(HeavyTitanium @ Sep 17 2007, 09:01 PM) View Post

IPB Image<
That thing in the water on the right is an ocean rock just to let you guys know(Do you think i should make transluceant DOR water)

It doesn't blend in well. I suggest for you to recolor it.

#22 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE(HeavyTitanium @ Sep 17 2007, 07:01 PM) View Post

IPB Image<

I have to go with the others here. It looks kinda weird, and looks like it's sitting on top of the water. It's possible we're just not seeing the whole picture, but as it is in that screenshot, I'm not sure what's what. It doesn't really ruin the shot, though.

Hmm, translucent water...tough call. Personally, I wouldn't try it. I just don't see it as turning out very well. However, others HAVE taken steps to prove me wrong. It's possible you could make it look good. I just don't think I would do it if I were you.

I am pretty proud of those shore tiles, though. I'm glad people are using them.

#23 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:19 AM

Hmm. Tough call between IaN and Shoelace, but I nulled. Both shots are very nice.

#24 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:49 AM

I voted for IaN... It's a great shot and I LOVE the palette... HOWEVER, if you're planning to use the MC mountains all over the quest, you should add some varierty and use my ''higher MC mountains'' cause you can make the mountains higher and notjust 2 tiles high... Shoelace's shot comes next!

#25 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:39 PM

I voted for Moonwhisper, because he has a decent shot with some action and standard graphics, which is good enough for me. Ian made me thinking as well.

@Radien: I'm using those shore tiles as well, because they're nice.
Did you make them then? Or is it a rip.

Edited by Twilight_Knight, 18 September 2007 - 02:42 PM.

#26 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:03 PM

I'm gonna have to go with moonwhisper on this one icon_bounce.gif

I liked shoelace's shot, but i have to agree that it is too crowded for just one screen. icon_unsettled.gif

I also liked Heavy Titanium's, but that rock does look pretty weird, i would have to agree with TriMaster and recolor it icon_wink.gif

#27 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for votes Peeps. One thing, that I think is weird is, when I showed EotM off when it was Pure, I got the comments: "Great screen design, graphics suck." Most of the shots I have released have been Pure Shots converted to my new tileset. Same shots if you really compare. However, now I am getting the "Graphics good, screen design awful." I am just so confused now as my focus has always been screen design. And I can't see how better you can do for screen design.

It amazes me looking at my whole map as a whole. As it looks like a real forest. The areas go together so well. The Fairy Springs actually look like Fairy Springs. But it doesn't look fake, as every mountain every tree is there for a reason. I drew the whole thing by hand first and I am really proud of what I designed.

When I was making the graphics, I wanted it to feel and look like a forest. I was playing a lot of quests with forests, and I thought something was missing. And was looking at pictures of forests, and noticed that their was a variety on plants, life, and colors. Forests aren't just green, the leaves, flowers, plants around are different colors. There is plants in the water, rocks in the water, etc. I wanted to capture that image.

Too me, I did just that. So now that I finally got my graphics down, the way I wanted it, I am now focusing on making the forest. So, sorry for everyone that doesn't look my forest ideas and say that it is too crowded. That was what I am going for, and I am now too far to go back, and I see no reason too. Word of advice then, stay clear of the tileset I am making. XD

By the way, Link is walking in Shallow water on the screen, the darker blue around the shallow water is deep water and Link would need the flippers to get around in there.

Again, thanks for the comments.

#28 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:21 PM

Shoelace has won.
Oh wait, I see IaN submitted a shot. He'll win because he's IaN.
Overall, their all semi-good.

#29 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE(Shoelace @ Sep 18 2007, 08:33 PM) View Post

Thanks for votes Peeps. One thing, that I think is weird is, when I showed EotM off when it was Pure, I got the comments: "Great screen design, graphics suck." Most of the shots I have released have been Pure Shots converted to my new tileset. Same shots if you really compare. However, now I am getting the "Graphics good, screen design awful." I am just so confused now as my focus has always been screen design. And I can't see how better you can do for screen design.

It amazes me looking at my whole map as a whole. As it looks like a real forest. The areas go together so well. The Fairy Springs actually look like Fairy Springs. But it doesn't look fake, as every mountain every tree is there for a reason. I drew the whole thing by hand first and I am really proud of what I designed.

When I was making the graphics, I wanted it to feel and look like a forest. I was playing a lot of quests with forests, and I thought something was missing. And was looking at pictures of forests, and noticed that their was a variety on plants, life, and colors. Forests aren't just green, the leaves, flowers, plants around are different colors. There is plants in the water, rocks in the water, etc. I wanted to capture that image.

Too me, I did just that. So now that I finally got my graphics down, the way I wanted it, I am now focusing on making the forest. So, sorry for everyone that doesn't look my forest ideas and say that it is too crowded. That was what I am going for, and I am now too far to go back, and I see no reason too. Word of advice then, stay clear of the tileset I am making. XD

By the way, Link is walking in Shallow water on the screen, the darker blue around the shallow water is deep water and Link would need the flippers to get around in there.

Again, thanks for the comments.

It's like you told me, design your quest the way you like it. Don't let others control your quest.

#30 WindStrike

WindStrike

Culex is the bane of my existence.

• Members

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:53 AM

Eh... had to go with IaN on this one... the flow of it just owned everything else. Shoelace woulda been second, considering he tried to take in practically every aspect including the different water colors, the trees, and all that. But... two things that bothered me: The MC trees... they're clustered wherever they are and it just doesn't look good. Instead, I think placing several bushes in place of some of the packed trees may be better, even though you can't reach 'em. Also, although I've noted it in chat already, I'll say it again - the wood planks are just hovering and not actually floating on the water. I think a rim of darker blue beneath the planks might fix that problem. After that, I'd say Moonwhisper's... though I really don't see the point of those holes. Actually, the tiles for random holes in the ground really doesn't make sense... I mean, do you see random holes in the ground when you walk around a forest or wherever? Tis pretty good nonetheless... as for HeavyTitanium's, the one thing that bothers me the most is the repitition in the water. Somehow, it looks like there's suppose to be a variety, but it's just not there. That threw the whole of picture off for me - sorry. Newbydude, your's uhh... it's pretty much just plain random in about every aspect of the screen. Detailing is meant to be in a more organized manner (I have yet to see a single person who's actually mastered this aspect, inclusive of myself) with a theme of objects in areas with semi-realistic placing. But what you have is well... like someone previously, a bunch of objects fell out of the cart. Sorry and I mean no offense, but you might want to work on that some more.

If you'll excuse me, I have a cold that needs eradicating, which explains why I didn't make as nearly a formal review as I normally would.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users