Status of Quest- To Continue or Not

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 superpatch13

superpatch13

Zehahaha!!!

• Members

Posted 29 August 2021 - 06:37 PM

Hey everyone! I've been pondering about the status of my quest for a while. I've been working on it off and on for years and it feels like I'll never finish it. I have a ton of ideas for it as it's a high concept quest (at least for me anyway) and I have worked on a lot of it despite not even being halfway done. But sometimes I wonder if it would be easier/more realistic/smarter to start anew on a simpler/more approachable quest using ideas I have for my current quest (Secret of Grefall.) I can't seem to dedicate enough time to quest making and other hobbies at the same time and my YouTube tends to take priority more often than not hence all my starting and stopping; especially when it comes to map design. Like I have an overall plan for the game for areas and ideas, but a lot of the logistics is as I go since it's a lot for me. Just felt like sharing this out and seeing what everyone else thinks about this kind of...dilemma(?)

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 August 2021 - 07:35 PM

I've given up on doing longer projects for a while now. They just seem to take too long to complete to justify the investment. That said, the shelf life of my ideas tends to be especially low. If you really believe in your quest ideas and continue to feel inspired to work on them, I think you should take however long it takes to finish your quest. 

• Mani Kanina likes this

#3 superpatch13

superpatch13

Zehahaha!!!

• Members

Posted 29 August 2021 - 09:19 PM

I guess my other fear is that I'll spend all this time on it and then it ends up being bad. Like it's a very linear quest (branching paths) with tons of dialogue and not many traditional style dungeons. Grefall is a VERY story driven project, so what if that heavy focus ends up being a bad part too? But then I feel like I've already invested too much time in it to start over.

#4 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 29 August 2021 - 11:22 PM

You have to make a quest for you and not based on what people will think.  I really liked Throwback so I would almost certainly at least try something else you released.  If you get enjoyment out of the process, and it makes you happy, you should keep it up even if it takes a long time.  If it doesn't bring you joy then you should pursue something else.  It's really that simple I think. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users