Gay Marriage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#1 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 October 2004 - 08:05 PM

Why is 2 people who love eachother wrong? I just cant figure it out. I am not gay, but i dont see why people must be judgemental just because of the love someone has. I dont belive that bieng gay is a choice ( because no one would choose to be shunned by society ) so why do we try to tighten laws on it. One thing i think is very funny is that the a lot of the people who are agast gays are also the same who like to see girls kiss.
If 2 people whom love eachother want to get marriered, let them, I dont see how it will effect me... Just for the record, im not gay by the way, i just think with common sense. If god really loved all of his children, why would he want us to shun others? icon_blah.gif

#2 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:05 PM

People who are gay should be allowed to marry. You marry for the sole purpose of living with a loved one for the rest of your life, so I don't understand why people are against this. icon_shrug.gif

#3 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:38 PM

I am against it, but I guess my thoughts don't matter too much. I say, let them do what they want. icon_shrug.gif

#4 Jaivaz

Jaivaz

God of Death

• Banned

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:46 PM

Do what thou wish to do.

Nuff said.

#5 Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Legend

• Site Creator

Posted 20 October 2004 - 10:04 PM

Homosexual relationships do not make sense. I don't care what you believe regarding the origin of what exists (whether it be from God or monkeys), the role of gender means that homosexuality does not make sense. As a result, homosexual marriage does not make sense either.

#6 Vincent

Vincent

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 20 October 2004 - 10:43 PM

In the Bible homosexuality is stated to be a sin, so there's why a good portion are against homosexual marriage. However, you are correct ZC Ninja, people should not be discriminated against like homosexuals are. If people want to tell them it's wrong and that it's illegal, (Christians especially) should give the other sins (such as adultery, stealing, lying and murder, etc.) just as much weight because they are all of equal weight. The main problem is that in America today, such a profound change will never happen.

#7 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:40 AM

Why would one have any reasons to be against it? Okay... it doesn't make sense to you. Perhaps it makes sense to the homosexuals.

There are too many defined gender roles as it is. You have to be straight, men must like sports and rough things and be all tough, while girls have to like dresses and pink things and fluffy things and be all sensitive. If you cross those boundaries, you're a screwed up freak. Yeah, right. I say... let people do what they want. It's their life. They can choose to do what they wish with it.

But... that's just me. icon_shrug.gif

#8 DarkZero

DarkZero

Junior

• Members

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:54 AM

Yep thats the way I see it Ben. Let people do as they wish if others find it wierd then they should just deal with it. I myself am not gay but I still think if someone wants to spend the rest of thier life with another, same gender or not, it's thier choice and who are we to say otherwise?

#9 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:37 AM

It's not whether gay marriage is a "sin" which is the biggest issue. Because that's a religious issue. And thus a personal choice.

The main argument used against gay marriage is that "marriage is a gift from God, and thus a religious institution, and we don't believe homosexuals should be able to take it from us."

Is that religiously true? Personally, I don't care to comment. Discuss that on your own time.

The REAL issue here is that many Christians believe that marriage is exclusively a Christian institution. That's the only reason people give besides "we think it's wrong."

Do you see the weakness in this statement?... Think about it. hundreds of thousands of cultures around the globe have had marriage longer than recorded history. It's safe to assume that a very large number of them will claim that it is a gift from (insert higher power here).

To me, that's the final word. Even if Christians believe they own marriage, the government has no place sticking their hand into the matter. Everybody's individual beliefs have to be treated equally.

Edited by Radien, 21 October 2004 - 01:38 AM.

#10 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:20 AM

I'm with Radien, most of the people that are against gay marriage are Christians that try to get the Bible into government. Last I checked, our government was built to not have religion to affect the laws, as remember not all people in the United States are Christians. So, why should they be affected by laws that are controled by something outside of their religion? That is far from fair. Now, whether you dislike it or not, it's something that people have a choice to do. Like me, personally, I don't understand it. I don't understand why a guy would go for a guy because that's not how I feel. But, I do see why people that are gay would want to marry who they are in love with, so I am for gay marriage. icon_wink.gif

#11 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:02 PM

Well, they should be able to get married because it is really isn't fair if they couldn't. Everything that makes up a marriage is still going to be there, except for the fact that it is the same gender. However, what Raiden said is very true. So maybe they could get married a different way. A legal way except without the chruch.

I don't know this topic is very iffy. However, it is just like saying, no you can't get married because you are Mexican.

#12 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:19 PM

Something occured to me that I heard someone else mention once. I'm not sure whether it's the best answer, but it's definitely worth considering.

Why is the government sticking their hand into marriage at all? If we want equality, perhaps neither sexual preference should be able to take government support though marriage. Why not abolish support of what some say is a religious institution, and perhaps replace it with something else?

Just a thought.

#13 plith

plith

I've been thinking.

• Members

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:39 PM

This is why I support "civil unions" as completely replacing marriage. For both homosexuals and heterosexuals. If marriage is so damned sacred, its best left to the church. That's been Bush's argument in favor of his horrendou Constitutional amendment; he's preserving the sanctity of marriage. The trouble is that having the state play an active role in the institution violates that supposed sanctity to begin with.

#14 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 21 October 2004 - 04:46 PM

The main issue to me is that they can live together, but as a couple of stories go, because they are not related ( cause they cant get married ) they have no laws of ownership. One story if i can recall it right is that there was a 40 year old couple which one of them became sick. Because they have no relation the partner can not see his "mate" which i think is wrong. That also goes into ownership if one of them dies, then the family of the other can take all the stuff.
Here I might get in trouble but oh well. Wild Bill, why is two people loving each other strange? Who cares if its man and woman, woman and woman, or man and man? How would you feel if you could not marry youre loved one? Its just wrong to not let two people who love eachother not marry in my opion. icon_sigh.gif

#15 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:08 PM

I generally disapprove of gay relationships, but if 2 people love each other, let them marry. It's just easier to let things slide that aren't bad, than make a fuss that isn't going to change people's mind. So, yeah, whatever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users