Original Graphics Showcase

• Please log in to reply
1785 replies to this topic

#1741 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:53 AM

One of the lose tiles for example has three rows in GC, perfectly for ZC. No rainbow-palette. But if I try to grab from it in ZC it still creates new colors (that are quite obviously different from the one in the picture). Is this also based in the color depth?

And is there a way to create a palette from an Internet image without palette data? Not from some photos or so, just simple images with only reasonable few colors.

#1742 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:05 AM

Post the images in question and I'll have a look at them.

When you say you "try to grab from it in ZC", are you grabbing the tiles or the palette? If you're grabbing the palette there shouldn't be obviously different colours. If you're grabbing/recolouring tiles you'll see different colours.

EDIT: Also yes, you can create a palette from any image, in exactly the same way I mentioned. Just bear in mind that if there's antialiasing you're going to have a lot of superfluous colours in your palette, so it can be better to manually use the dropper and "paint" the palette on a blank part of the image then crop that before reducing colour depth.

Edited by NoeL, 30 September 2017 - 01:10 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#1743 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

That was a really helpful tutorial. I was never clear on how exactly you make palettes in GG, but you explained it perfectly.

#1744 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:27 PM

My latest original graphic: Another portrait! This time of Tuhrahkkkii, k'siih warrior and blade-for-hire.

For comparison, here is also an updated version of Nightmare's portrait (with shorter horns, among other things).

ZsRigKE.pnglF2nqvf.png

This one was a big challenge to pull off - Tuhrahkkkii's anatomy in-game really doesn't make the most sense, so I had to take a lot of liberties adapting his sprite.

I'll probably make a few more tweaks to it later, but I'm tired and want to show something off.

• Shane likes this

#1745 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:47 PM

nice bonkles

#1746 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:10 AM

Guess I could post these here:
UKz6R5z.png

Left's mine. Right for reference.

HOpt1s4.png

Yuga.

• Anthus, Twilight Knight, Shane and 6 others like this

#1747 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

If you want to import a "cset" into Graphics Gale (note: GG doesn't have "csets" as such, just rows of a palette):

• Click the down-facing arrow at the lower left of the palette (just beneath the grid)
  • Select "load palette" - a popup will appear
  • On the lower left where it says "file", click it and select "load from file"
  • Select the image you want to import a "cset" from (if it's from ZC, you'll need to save a screenshot with the same palette and load from that screenshot in GG)
  • It will then show two palettes: on the left is the palette of the file you just selected, on the right is the palette of the image you currently have open (and are importing to)
  • On the left palette, find the cset(s) you wish to import then click and drag from the first colour in the cset, horizontally right, to the last colour in the cset (the whole row will appear selected). If you only want to import single colours or parts of a cset, select only the relevant colours.
  • Move the cursor onto the right palette and you will see the selected cset "hovering" where the mouse cursor is. Position the mouse so that the cset you wish to import fills a single row of the palette (i.e. somewhere on the left edge of the palette), then left click.
  • Click "ok"
  • Save the image.

Nevermind, I got it, I'm an idiot sometimes

#1748 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:02 AM

If it's a full-color image [as opposed to an indexed one], you'll have to change it to a color-indexed one yourself [All frames -> Color Depth... -> pick the 256 color option], and then deal with moving around the colors in the palette yourself.

Anyway, some enemy graphics I've done relatively recently:

2J0QxI6.pngwPNj4wU.pngMtipmuG.png

• Anthus and MoscowModder like this

#1749 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

Thanks, I forgot to mention that you can only import from 4/8-bit images with indexed palettes. Fixed this.

@Feenix: Looking really good, love the palettes. If I had one criticism it's the outlines. The way you've done it is like AAing into a dark background, with the black pixels on the "outside" of curves - this causes the sprites to look really jagged on light backgrounds (like PureZC), and just looks messy in general. I'd suggest either a solid black border, or a solid "black" border with highlights. You've also used the red to AA into the background in areas which gives you little red spots speckled around the sprite when placed on dark backgrounds. I made a few edits to the border to show you what I mean:

Original - Black border - Black border with highlights
S7c1Kvf.png

There were actually a couple of other criticisms I had once I got up close with this sprite too:

1) You haven't used the red effectively. A contrasting hue like that should be used as a secondary lighting highlight rather than just a deep shadow (as it's used here). You're using the red as if it were a fourth blue, which looks weird. Instead, try using the red to light the undersides of the wings.

2) This is the same criticism but more of an example - don't use the red to AA the primary highlights (e.g. tops of the wings, head) with the border. The red is your secondary light source, and it would be completely washed out by the primary in those areas.

3) Similarly, you don't need to use the darker tones when AAing your highlights. At the moment the border along the top of the wings looks really thick, and that's because you've blended the wings into your outline too much (also why my edits still look quite jagged). Beyond the greens you shouldn't go any darker than your lightest blue.

There are a few other nitpicks, but in general everything else is pretty nice. Form, clustering and lighting (beyond the issues noted) are all good.

Edited by NoeL, 18 October 2017 - 06:23 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#1750 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:57 AM

Sprited 8 dungeon treasures for a gameboy-styled Zelda 1 spin-off I had in mind for a while.

X8t9ulT.png

The Eagle (custom)
The Moon (by "professorvermo", not my work)
The Clover (custom, replacing the Manji 'cause swatiska)
The Snake (custom)
The Lizard (custom)
The Dragon (edit, based off a Dragon Quest sprite)
The Demon (edit, based off a GB Zelda tile)
The Lion (custom)

Almost all of these could use some retouching, but for the moment I don't know how to fix things. Especially the clover looks funky, though I like the general idea of it. What do you think?

Edited by Sheik, 19 November 2017 - 12:56 PM.

• Anthus and Shane like this

#1751 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:37 PM

I actually think the clover is one of the best ones. I like the moon a lot too. The snake, eagle, and lion are on point, but I think the demon, and dragon look a little similar. I'm not really sure how to change that though. Maybe make the demon based off of a goat or pig (or some other horned animal associated with the devil).

• Sheik and Jared like this

#1752 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:00 PM

A pig might work well, as in the designs of Moblins and Ganon.

• Anthus likes this

#1753 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:08 AM

Sprited 8 dungeon treasures for a gameboy-styled Zelda 1 spin-off I had in mind for a while.

X8t9ulT.png

*snip*

I actually think the clover is one of the best ones. I like the moon a lot too. The snake, eagle, and lion are on point, but I think the demon, and dragon look a little similar. I'm not really sure how to change that though. Maybe make the demon based off of a goat or pig (or some other horned animal associated with the devil).

A pig might work well, as in the designs of Moblins and Ganon.

IAByfP8.png

• Shane, Jared and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#1754 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:46 PM

I think you should use a vire, because using Ganon will create confusion with Level 9 Second Quest.

#1755 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for the feedback. However, I have decided to stick with the Ganon design. He is the demon after all.

I have been reworking the Lizard, the Dragon and the Demon again btw:

wH55VFW.png

For the moment I am happy with the results.

• Anthus, Shane, Jared and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users