#1 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Windows
Mac
Linux

Updated executable for Windows (replace RC5's zelda-w.exe): http://filesmelt.com/dl/zelda-w6.zip

There have been no changes in the quest format. Quests saved in RC5 will work in RC4 unless they use any new script functions.

We are still expecting to have the final version finished this year. That means that if all goes well, you've only got about two more months to report bugs, so please do not put off downloading and testing this build.

#2 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

oh, yeah? cool. thanks for all of your hard work!

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Changing the way buying items works and has worked since 1.90? WHY DEVS, WHY? Who thought this was a good idea?

#4 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

OH MAH GOD GUIZ IT'S FINALLY HERE.

(Testing right away!)

#5 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Nov 4 2012, 08:48 PM) View Post

Changing the way buying items works and has worked since 1.90? WHY DEVS, WHY? Who thought this was a good idea?

What changed?

Edit - I saw it on Shardstorm.

Edited by Jared, 04 November 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#6 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Nov 4 2012, 07:48 PM) View Post

You mean this or something else?

"* It's no longer possible to buy items with rupees that are already being drained away."

Anyhow, I'll give it a try later. My bet is playing through my demo will turn up bugs if there are any.

#7 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Nov 4 2012, 07:48 PM) View Post
All they did was fix a bug that had to do with shops. icon_odd.gif

Anyway, it's good to see this is out. icon_smile.gif There's a few things I've really been looking forward to using.

#8 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

my buddy has a Mac Lion and couldn't get 2.50(4) to run. anybody know much about getting the Mac version running? I couldn't get any of them working on my 10.4.11, even back when they should have been compatible. my friend describes a similar fail in which it looks like it will open, but flashes away immediately. I don't know.

#9 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hm. Can you tell me what it says if you try to run it from a terminal?

#10 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

well, mine is too old and his is too new. I'll suggest Terminal use to him.

#11 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Nov 4 2012, 08:40 PM) View Post

All they did was fix a bug that had to do with shops. icon_odd.gif

Anyway, it's good to see this is out. icon_smile.gif There's a few things I've really been looking forward to using.

But this bug has been present for so long (I think it was even like that in the NES Legend of Zelda) it has become a feature quest makers take into account when designing quests. If it was just a quest rule type fix I'd be fine, but as it stands it's like when they made peahats immune to the fire boomerang. When I design shops I base my pricing off the expectation that players would use the shop trick. Will we next be removing the dodongo smoke trick?

#12 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

Ah, yes! A new RC has come out. I should be testing soon.

Edit: Sweet! Std.zh has been split into two files now. Now it should be a LOT easier to take a look at the inner workings of functions and a look at the constants.

Edit 2: Yes! The bug where ZQ fails to play NSF files is gone. Thank you.

QUOTE(Moosh @ Nov 5 2012, 03:12 PM) View Post

But this bug has been present for so long (I think it was even like that in the NES Legend of Zelda) it has become a feature quest makers take into account when designing quests. If it was just a quest rule type fix I'd be fine, but as it stands it's like when they made peahats immune to the fire boomerang. When I design shops I base my pricing off the expectation that players would use the shop trick. Will we next be removing the dodongo smoke trick?

Nintendo probably expected you to find out the Dodongo smoke trick, hence the three Dodongoes at the start of Level 5 in Z1 and the hint in level 2 "Dodongo dislikes smoke". The rupee trick probably wasn't intended and therefore is a bug. Tell me, were any of the item prices in Z1 so high that you were expected to abuse that bug?

Edited by Orin XD, 05 November 2012 - 04:10 AM.

#13 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

Doesn't bother me much. I never knew about the Rupee bug until you guys just told me about it.

Not everybody knows about all the little bugs and glitches, so you can't honestly expect people to abuse them when designing your quest. Well, you can, I suppose. There's nothing really stopping you (until this), but you really shouldn't.

#14 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:32 AM

As far as I know the rupee bug is a very recent RC one.
I know I tried to make use of the concept in 2.10 and on NES and it didn't work, the game knew how many rupees the player had and the draining was just a display. I guess the bug got in with the "drain counter" option sometime, because it drained the actual number of rupees instead of setting the actual number to the required one and displayed the draining separately.

Anyway, I was looking forward to it, I'm curious if it works better than any so far or I still need to stuck with RC2.

EDIT:
"Removed the map and screen flipping functions, as they were extremely buggy and not that useful."
Aww, I liked to use screen flipping!

"Fixed a warp arrival issue that could break some quests."
I hope this is what kept causing me problems.

Edited by CastChaos, 05 November 2012 - 04:43 AM.

#15 Erdrick

Erdrick

Redeemed

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

The bug with the shops was never in the NES version. With cheats, you can't buy anything until the Rupees counter finishes draining.

On that regard, I'm going to test this build to see if any new bugs emerged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users