Zelda Modern

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#406 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

I think the focus has been on completing version 2.5, as it appears to be very close to it, as long as not too many bugs are being found. As for this Zelda Modern project, its future is uncertain right now. It might continue from where it left off at some point, or maybe something else will be tried after 2.5 is finished. I suppose Gleeok might have a better answer, since he was pretty involved with it when it was being worked on.

#407 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

I know there's a demand for this sort of thing and it would be really cool if there was a more modernized 2D Zelda Classic type thing, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...it's not really being worked on. icon_confused.gif All the people that were willing to be involved in it have either left or decided to do other things. Sorry guys, not my fault.

While it's not really that difficult to put together a more powerful engine than zc/allegro, without a way to let users edit lots of data efficiently (aka: a decent editor or GUI) then it's not going to be useful for non-developers. Besides what I occasionally mess around with, there is no one working to put one together.

Here are some screenshots of what there is so far:

http://i235.photobuc...at_AD/meff1.jpg
http://i235.photobuc..._AD/editorz.png
http://i235.photobuc...amat_AD/me1.jpg
http://i235.photobuc...amat_AD/me2.jpg

Engine supports: OpenGL for rendering, shaders, blending, sprites, animations, animation_sets, maps, layers, object z or y-sorting. Scripting engine is built off angelscript http://www.angelcode...doc_script.html and has a full c/c++ preprocessor as part of the parser. I've actually already scripted a few simple games for fun. icon_smile.gif

As cool as this sounds it needs a lot of work to even get close to something that can *somewhat* easily make a 2D tile-based rpg/action-adventure games (yes, like Zelda icon_razz.gif ), otherwise it looks doubtful.

#408 ShadowPC

ShadowPC

Where is ma hearts?

• Members

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Wow gleeok... Nice. But i dont like the tiles there, they dont have the same feel as theyre not zelda... But that is not important when you can switch tilesets.

Edited by ShadowPC, 01 July 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#409 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

That looks pretty cool. I just started trying to write my own game engine too based on plain SDL, after only a short while(less than a day) i have a basic level system, animation and graphics system going(first time i try to program a game and first time i tried SDL). I bet it must be really hard and most of all time consuming to program an extensive gui like seen in the pic(i would never find the time for it). I have to say some of you people have some mad skillz.

#410 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

That looks to be more a Final Fantasy clone than a Zelda clone. Interesting.

#411 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

In order for Zelda Modern to have much usage in the Zelda Classic community, the scripting must be approachable.

#412 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE(Nolornbon @ Jul 5 2012, 11:28 AM) View Post

In order for Zelda Modern to have much usage in the Zelda Classic community, the scripting must be approachable.

Are you saying that the scripting in ZC is not approachable? Cause that's a load of hooey. Besides a good UI could make it so available scripts can be easily implemented and editted(at a basic level) by people who don't know the slightest thing about scripting.

I'm all for a more modern ZC like program (that is in no way, besides general gameplay function, related to Zelda). And if there is a demand(not 25 ZC nerds hoping for the nexts great thing tomorrow) for it we should really put a project together. If we could get a project plan, developers, graphics team(no ripped off tiles from SNES), sound/music team, and a decent demo(to illustrate the concept), without the burden of copyright infringement worries we could ask for donations(start a kickstarter or something), use advertisements(yes I hate them too), advertise the project, etc to drum up funds and interest to make the project happen. Because the project will take a significant amount of time before something anywhere near useable to the common quest builder is done.

But I am saying all this with a very vague idea of what it takes to develop something like this. I'm no developer(though that is what I went to school for before I dropped out) the idea just excites me(plus I hate/suck at palettes). Starting from the ground up to be completely customizable and open for scripting could eventual make something much better than ZC. I do love ZC, have since ~2000. And All you hopeless Zelda Fanatics can import all the infringing graphics/audio for your quest when the project is mature.

I just thought of a cool idea. A Script Database that can be accessed from inside the editor itself. The script could be tested, customized for personal quest, even accompanied by suggested tiles/sfx, and imported without even having to look at the actual script(unless they wanted). It's also almost 4 am so it might not be as cool or practical of an idea as I think. I'll figure it out tomorrow. I have a feeling I'm rambling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users