Photo

Making own tileset/spriteset

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 LavaWave

LavaWave

• Members

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:57 AM

OK but did anyone downloaded the TestQuest? it comes with the 2 image files and the tiles inserted, I don't know what else to show, I hope that someone can help me out on it so I can put tiles/sprites in my quests properly.

#17 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

I reccomend that you don't upload rar. or 7zip. files because the programs that unzip them (WinRAR and 7Zip respectivley) do not come pre-built on most machines and are not freeware, as far as I know. Zip them into zip. files because WinZip comes pre-built on most machines.

#18 LavaWave

LavaWave

• Members

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

OK here is a .zip version.

http://www.speedysha...e/TestQuest.zip

#19 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:39 AM

(Someone logged me off before I could finish my reply to this that I started earlier. icon_neutral.gif I can't retype it all right now, so I hope this will do.)

I took a look at it. There's been some color loss because of the pallettes. Keep in mind that each CSet has only 16 colors (the first of which is transparent, except in 8-bit depth whereas only CSet 0's "color 0" is the transparent color). Unless you enable 8-bit depth to begin with, when you grab your tiles from the image, it will only use the colors in the currently-selected CSet; in your case, it looked like that was CSet 2.

Question: Did you grab your pallettes from the image itself? If so, how many CSets did you grab from the image and which ones did you grab them to?
- The reason I ask is because grabbing pallettes from images that are not screenshots from ZQ/ZC leaves the pallettes in a jumbled mess, not very easy to work with. I had to deal with reorganizing pallettes when I made a title screen in MS Paint and tried to import it into ZQ.
- If you can answer me this question, I could tell you what I see is the best way to fix your problem. It may be as simple as separating the file with your graphics into separate files and grouping the graphics that have the same/similar colors. Once I know how many CSets you grabbed and which ones, I'll be able to see how many colors you're dealing with.

#20 LavaWave

LavaWave

• Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:56 AM

Well yes, I did import the palette from the images themselves.

but I think I just fixed my problem tough but with colour losses, what I just did now in Gimp is taking off the alpha layer replacing it with purple layer where there should be transparency and I set the images into Indexed mode but set it to use 16 colours which means 1 row of colours in the palette, this loses most of the tiles colours but atleast now I can import the image palette in ZQuest without corrupted colours, I don't know if this the best way to do it but so far it's better then what I've just done.

Thanks anyway Lightwolf.

#21 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

Well, I'd say you're on the right track. Things are a heck of a lot easier in this regard when you reduce your graphics to 16 colors.

When I imported my quest's title screen, I reduce the colors from 3 CSets to 2, so I've got some experience with working with these things.
If you need any more advice, just let me know. icon_smile.gif

#22 LavaWave

LavaWave

• Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

Thanks ^_^ glad my tiles are working as they should.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users