Photo

Making own tileset/spriteset

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 LavaWave

LavaWave

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

I have used Zelda Classic 2.10 before so I do have experience with the program but I never made my own custom tiles/sprites or to be precise using custom palettes/csets from other images (imported to ZC) but now I am using ZC 2.50 and I am getting the hang of it, I can't use 2.10 even if I want to, since I have Win 7 64 bit and I tried using 2.10 but it won't work but I now have grown to prefer 2.50 over it.

Anyway my question is is that I want to make my first quest with custom tiles and sprites to separate it from the regular Zelda quests out there but I wonder about palettes, from what I've searched is that some csets should be avoided like the first 2 csets from top row, why? what tiles do they affect? should I care if I intend to change most/all the graphics from characters (be it hero, enemy and npc) to making a whole new tileset? I intend to aim for SNES style graphics not NES so I know I need to do quite a palette work but from what I've searched on this forum I haven't seen much topics to help me, their problems are different then mine.

I thought about decreasing the palette colours, slightly erasing some colours in the tiles/chars.

The tiles and chars are in 2 different image files so what would happen if the tiles and chars have a different palette?

Thanks in advance.

#2 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

The game uses various csets for dark rooms, cycling or flashing sprites, but I don't know for sure which they are. csets 6-9 usually relate to link and other sprites and there are special csets for certain bosses that are the higher valued ones. If you just want to change the enemy colors and link, focus on 6-9 first. cset 6 will also transition as link gains different rings, so enemies that share that cset will sometimes change their color.

If you want to change the level colors, focus on csets 3-5 (I think), and 2 is for dark rooms (maybe), 9 for flashing??? Sorry, I have limited experience, but that's what I recall. The sprites use a different pallete so don't worry about mixing the colors, having tiles and sprites with separate palettes is okay. To change the overworld tile colors, use the level palettes, and for the sprites use the main palette. For different overworld areas you can hit 1-10 on the keyboard to switch to different ones or f4 to enter a value. Assigning a level number 1-9 to a dmap may also force certain things to take on specific color values, but I think that's for the more classic style quest rules.

mmm hope that helps some, good luck

p.s. awesome Giygas pic

Edited by peteandwally, 28 August 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#3 LavaWave

LavaWave

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

Like my cool avatar ey icon_razz.gif

Anyway since in this release ZC 2.50 RC4 you can change the characters/items trough Quests > Enemies/itmes/Quests > Graphics > Sprites > Link/Weapons/Misc sprites doesn't that mean they can use csets 1 - 5 as well? unlike in ZC 2.10 you cannot change their properties.

Thanks for the reply btw.

#4 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

CSets 2-4 are used for combos and change between levels. CSet 9 is used for level-specific sprites and can change between levels (though it doesn't always).

CSet 6 is Link's CSet and changes when you get new rings.

CSets 0-1, 5, and 7-11 don't change between levels and are best for sprites.

#5 LavaWave

LavaWave

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

I see, thanks.

Edited by LavaWave, 28 August 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#6 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE(MoscowModder @ Aug 28 2012, 09:09 AM) View Post

CSets 2-4 are used for combos and change between levels. CSet 9 is used for level-specific sprites and can change between levels (though it doesn't always).

CSet 6 is Link's CSet and changes when you get new rings.

CSets 0-1, 5, and 7-11 don't change between levels and are best for sprites.

I want to be able to answer questions like you one day...

#7 LavaWave

LavaWave

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

btw is there any proper custom palette/cset building tutorial? I can't make my tiles to look correctly, they have strange colours on them for example my grass tile is purple and I cannot make it green, I tried playing around with the palette/cset settings but I am messing up other tiles :/

#8 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

Try practicing on an empty level palette. Take a screenshot in the palette you want to copy, and grab its color sets into the new palette.

That way, if you mess things up, you don't ruin your main palette.

#9 ShadowPC

ShadowPC

Where is ma hearts?

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

You could use a paletre editing program.

#10 LavaWave

LavaWave

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE(ShadowPC @ Aug 28 2012, 10:23 AM) View Post

You could use a paletre editing program.

There is a palette editting program specifically for ZQuest main tiles/sprites? I use Gimp to edit palette's/colourmaps (which is specifically the palette of the main image files not the files in ZQuest) I did sort the palette/colourmap on hue, saturation and value which changes the location of each colour.

Now I just thought about something, if I make the palettes in gimp and ZQuest (level palettes) something like in this website
http://www.bigmessow...-palette-setup/

do these palettes help if I organize the colours in the CSets like that, would that work?

@MoscowModder I'l take your advice icon_smile.gif maybe I could manage something

Update: This is what I just did, I opened/started a new quest and exported the tiles via ZQuest and imported it's palette into my tiles and then I used those tiles, so far now my tiles are working fine altough missing some colours :/ I wonder if it's possible or if there is a better way to import your tiles with their proper palette or work it out properly, oh well, it's better then what I've been doing atleast.

Edited by LavaWave, 28 August 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#11 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

First of all, welcome to PureZC! icon_smile.gif
QUOTE(LavaWave @ Aug 28 2012, 08:55 AM) View Post
btw is there any proper custom palette/cset building tutorial? I can't make my tiles to look correctly, they have strange colours on them for example my grass tile is purple and I cannot make it green, I tried playing around with the palette/cset settings but I am messing up other tiles :/
Question: Is this happening to tiles that you grabbed from a screenshot or tilesheet (like, downloaded from Spriters Resource or something)? If your pictures/screenshots weren't done in ZC/ZQ, the colors most likely won't match up.

If you already have your pallettes set up how you want them, then, when you go to your tilepage and use "Grab", press "R" to recolor your sprites before you hit the "OK" button on the Grab screen. However, before you even open the tile editor, make sure you switch to the CSet that has the colors you want. If the sprites use colors in one of your level pallettes, as long as the colors you want are in the current level pallette (on the screen before opening the tile editor) when you're grabbing sprites, it will recolor them correctly. If not, go to a screen in your quest that uses the level pallette that has the colors you want.
Then again, if you choose 8-bit depth (instead of 4-bit), you only have to worry about the level pallette CSets (2-4, 9) and Link's CSet (6) colors changing; other than those, everything will stay the same.

Edited by Lightwulf, 28 August 2012 - 02:44 PM.

#12 LavaWave

LavaWave

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

What I did was downloading tiles/chars from tsr and put them into tiles mode in seperate png files via gimp one image for tiles and the other for sprites/characters/items, once I finished I turned them into indexed colour mode (which gives the palette in the colourmap editor as well as making the images 256 colours) so they are not RGB colours, they do have alpha channel tough but I don't think it should affect it.

Some graphics show their proper colour, some not, be it tiles or objects and I cannot make them properly change colours for other csets for you know, making grass and snow tile in one combo for example, this also gives problems for when I want to make a dungeon/other biome/area map.

#13 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

If the images are really 256 colors, keep in mind ZQ can only handle a lot less than that (64 or less, not including the various level pallettes). Plus, you may have to load different graphics at a time because you'll have to change pallettes/CSets in order to grab images with different colors than the CSet/pallette you're using.
You know what, it'll help us to help you if you post some pictures of what you're talking about.
If you don't know how:

#14 LavaWave

LavaWave

• Members

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

I am unable to take a print screen screenshot of ZQuest, it always comes up as a black screenshot when I paste in paint/Gimp or any other image editing program, anyway I did took a screenshot of Gimp about the tiles I am trying to put on ZQuest, as well as the quest file itself with the 2 unfinished tiles (the original and the editted) that if you open each one in Gimp or any other painting program one is in RGB mode and the one I'm trying to use is in Indexed mode.

Gimp screenshot.

http://imageshack.us...mpscreenie.jpg/

Test quest with the tiles.

http://speedy.sh/q62Ee/TestQuest.7z

Don't know what else I can do :/

#15 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE(LavaWave @ Aug 28 2012, 10:42 PM) View Post

I am unable to take a print screen screenshot of ZQuest, it always comes up as a black screenshot when I paste in paint/Gimp or any other image editing program

If you press Z or F12 in ZQuest, it should spit out an image to your ZC directory. Are you trying that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users