Photo

The Hero's Memory

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#226 Xavier

Xavier

• Members

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:33 AM

What's the old Zora from the Temple of Droplets underwater supposed to give you? I went back after doing level 4 and he says he hopes I'll never have to use what he has for me, but I'm not sure I saw anything being given to me.

#227 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:13 AM

He gave you the peril beam, which lets you use sword beams when you're on your last heart. It's possible most players won't ever see it. I probably should have raised the minimum to 3 hearts or something ... But there's your answer. ;)

#228 Xavier

Xavier

• Members

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:23 AM

Ooooh that's genius, a great detail, should've figured it before.

Thank you! I'm actually replaying your quest after three years and I love it =)
  • Aevin likes this

#229 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:44 AM

He gave you the peril beam, which lets you use sword beams when you're on your last heart. It's possible most players won't ever see it. I probably should have raised the minimum to 3 hearts or something ... But there's your answer. ;)

Yeah, had to guess on that given it doesn't show up in the inventory. Then again, I don't think I ever went down on health enough to get close to that point =p
  • Aevin likes this

#230 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:52 PM

I finally got around to playing this, and it's the first quest I've played in a loooong time.

I really like it so far. The modified Pure version adds a lot of personality, and it is well designed, in most cases. I pretty much marathoned my way to the fourth dungeon, and have enjoyed it. the block puzzle in Level 4 is annoying, but not poorly designed. One gripe I have is the slow walk ice. Not that is exists, but that there is so much of it. It made traversing the second dungeon not as fun as it could have been. The puzzle to get the one key in Level 3 was also one of the coolest things I've seen done in ZC. Was that just using FFCs to make the Armos move? It was really cool regardless.

I'll be back with a full review if I finish playing it, which I probably will unless I lose my save, or my power goes off and I lose hours of progress (which has happened, but not with this quest :P)

EDIT: Okay, I'm taking a break. This block puzzle is royally pissing me off. I hate block puzzles (this is no fault of yours) but this shit is making me rage. ghghghg. Mostly cause it looks easy, but then, I've tried it a dozen times and keep screwing it up. I would like a solution cause I am tired of it lol.

#231 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:54 PM

Hi! Thanks for playing!

Is this the block puzzle near the beginning of level 4, still? It looks simple, but it's kind of counter-intuitive. The first two blocks can go in the upper positions just fine, but the third needs to go to the bottom left position to leave space for the last one to go on the right. Here's the solution from pixcalibur's let's play.

You can rest assured there's not a whole lot of block puzzles in the quest. I don't like them much myself, and feel like I included them here because I felt they were expected in Zelda games. The armos was indeed just an ffc. I'm glad you liked that puzzle! This quest is old, and I feel not my best work. There will probably be some other frustrating things ahead, but I hope that you manage to enjoy it on the whole. If you need any additional help, please speak up. :)

• Anthus likes this

#232 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:29 PM

Thanks, I got past it now. :) Quick question: Did you script the Z2-esque enemies, or are they done with the editor? I'm mostly asking about the scorpion creatures seen in death mountain. I've actually wanted to make a very similar enemy, but didn't know if you could without scripting.

Also, I totally missed the blue ring, and first boomerang. I have the magic boomerang, and no blue ring. Is the blue ring in a shop, or did I miss it in a dungeon? I would read the item guide packaged with the quest, but I can't open .doc files :(

#233 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:44 PM

Optional Item Guide

There you go.

Here's a hint for the tunic if you don't want to spoil it completely. If you check your minimap against the spacebar map in the forest, you should find that there's a screen missing ...

There's no scripting anywhere in the quest. The eyeball and scorpion enemies use the enemy editor's "tribble" mechanic. It's usually used for enemies to duplicate themselves or upgrade into more powerful enemies. Here, I had an open-eye enemy and a closed-eye enemy with different defenses that tribble back and forth. The limitation is that their HP is reset every time they tribble, so the player needs to focus on dealing a lot of damage quickly before the eyes close and they heal. I tried to keep their HP relatively low so most players don't notice, and it becomes much easier with more powerful items. Working around the editor's limitations was a really fun challenge when making this quest.

• Anthus likes this

#234 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:55 PM

That's cool that there is no scripting. I just kind of assumed there were some small "polishing" scripts here and there. And yeah, ZC limits make for some unique designs, that's for sure. After playing a bit more, I gotta say my biggest issue is the slow walk tiles lol (since there's even more in Jabu-Jabu's Belly). Everything else is really well done. 

• Aevin likes this

#235 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:14 PM

I fully agree about the slow walk tiles. I wanted to add some realism to the underwater sections, but it's a case where the gameplay suffers too much as a result. If I ever make another big update, I'll probably change that.

#236 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:28 PM

How did you do the tunnels in Turtle Rock? I simply can't fathom how it was done without a script :P

#237 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:19 PM

They're raft paths. ;)

• Anthus likes this

#238 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

Wow, that's clever. Makes sense now though.

#239 aranche

aranche

Initiate

• Members

Posted 28 September 2018 - 04:54 AM

Aevin

can you please help me im at level 7 used 2 keys but the room most left down that is locked for the jar is stil locked so im missing a key dont have keys left ive walked the whole level like 4 times used the lens walked through walls bomb walls etc ive got anything so far all the the trials ...tunic ..sword ...please help im stuck

#240 aranche

aranche

Initiate

• Members

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:06 AM

solved it 

Aevin

can you please help me im at level 7 used 2 keys but the room most left down that is locked for the jar is stil locked so im missing a key dont have keys left ive walked the whole level like 4 times used the lens walked through walls bomb walls etc ive got anything so far all the the trials ...tunic ..sword ...please help im stuck

• Aevin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users