• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 05 March 2022 - 01:16 PM

Hiya

I have a rather simple problem this time.

I'll use the ladder item in my quest, but I don't want it to be a ladder. It want it to be "hover boots".

My main problem with this is aesthetic. Instead of a ladder appearing, I have a type of cloud graphic, but i don't think it looks great. When link steps one pixel into a ladder combo, the whole cloud appears. It would be nice if a smaller sprite could appear just under where Link is standing, but I don't know if this is possible.

What do you think? Is that possible? Should I try something else, keep it as is or just conform to a regular ladder?

On another note, I'm thinking of dropping a "demo" of the first area, but that would showcase mostly the lore and npcs in the game, not so much the exploration segments. I also like keeping things mysterious, so maybe no demo(?). Tell me your opinions.

kbye

• Twilight Knight likes this

#2 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 March 2022 - 06:44 PM

I think this is a lovely idea. I'm sure someone could script the behavior you want.

Way back when, I had someone script me real hover boots. I bet someone could make even better ones today!

• Twilight Knight and Ica like this

#3 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 12 March 2022 - 09:38 AM

Hey Ica, I think it's a neat idea

There are ways to know whether the player is using the ladder via scripts:

Hero->LadderX != 0 && Hero->LadderY != 0;

What's also possible is that if you're using Pitfall combos, you can make the player hover for more tiles than just 1 by temporarily disabling gravity with 1 line of code:

Hero->MoveFlags[HEROMV_CAN_PITFALL] = false;

And you can show a sprite under Link with Screen->FastCombo() or Hero->ScriptTile

Note that some of these things are only available in 2.55

• nicklegends and Ica like this

#4 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 12 March 2022 - 11:17 AM

THANK YOU, LOVELIES!

I'm trying to convince a friend who's into coding to do this for me, with the info y'all gave me he won't have a good excuse not to! hahahahhha

I'm not using the latest version of ZC i don't think, but maybe I should switch. I'm a little concerned about glitches and all that, but since I'm doing the last roundups for the quest I guess i'd make sense to swtich.

• Twilight Knight and Jared like this

#5 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 March 2022 - 11:37 AM

You should use the latest 2.55!! It's honestly amazing what the new versions can do.

• Twilight Knight and Ica like this

#6 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 12 March 2022 - 08:28 PM

My man, I'll have to get used to it for sure, but if you're saying it's worth it... version 255 alpha 103 is the best, right?

I was using version 2.50 build 24, I guess that's pretty outdated now!

I'm glad I don't need to implement bottles via scripting now hehehehhe

If there are any ESSENCIAL things I should know about this new version, do tell me about it 

• Jared likes this

#7 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 13 March 2022 - 04:02 AM

2.55 is definitely a worthwhile upgrade, I'm enjoying it very much myself.

Most important thing to note is that it is currently in development, be sure to back up your quest a lot and at least with every upgrade to a newer build/alpha.

But you can do many neat things without scripting in 2.55 and can achieve much more with much simpler scripts too. To name a few things: pitfalls; more string options; more quest rules; more enemy options; more settings in general; and more ease of access stuff.

• Ica likes this

#8 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 13 March 2022 - 12:03 PM

Ooh, I'll be making lots of back ups!

I'm glad you guys convinced me to upgrade, it sure seems a lot easier, or how we say it where I'm from, "hand on wheel".

Soon I'll  post another quest update

• Twilight Knight likes this

#9 Ica

Ica

Napoleon Bonaparty

• Members

Posted 17 May 2023 - 01:27 PM

Hello guys, returning to this after a whille I'm running into a similar problem, but of simpler nature.

Truth is, scripting and programming is difficult to me, and so I'm also trying to avoid it when there are simpler solutions built in the engine. 

Now, I'm using a Ladder item as the Hover Boots graphics and a custom item for the Hover Boots subscreen appearance.

The current problem is that it's not working correctly, the ladder is not called upon crossing pitfalls even with the item setting "can cross over pitfalls" and combo setting "allow ladder". I even made a test quest to see if it worked, and it did, but the problem persists on my main quest.

I'm worried, is it maybe a rule or is my quest fucked??

[UPDATE]

Just to leave it here, if anyone ever has the same problem:
If "can step over pitfalls" is checked for the Ladder item and "allows ladder" is checked for the pitfall combo, then checking the "toggle allow ladder" Screen flag (screen data) will result in the ladder not working.  

Edited by Ica, 19 May 2023 - 05:28 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Crystal Heart, Ladder, Hover Boots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users