Photo

Screenshot of the Week 750

Orithan Eddy HeroOfFire Sheik

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 750 (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 February 2021 - 01:07 PM

Four shots, four distinct moods and tilesets. Vote for your favorite, and consider leaving some feedback.

Eddy
Eddy.png
Link in da library, what he gonna do?? (Ignore the DMap title, that's WIP)

HeroOfFire
HeroOfFire.png
A scene from a classic screen, except with 90% less Z1.

Orithan
Orithan.png
What if this was not a beautiful lie?

Sheik
Sheik.png

• Bagu likes this

#2 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 28 February 2021 - 02:11 PM

Eddy: There's a lot about this screen that bothers me. The placement of the bookshelves is really awkward--bookshelves are taller than they are wide, and the top row of them should be overlapping the wall. It looks like you should be able to walk behind them on this screen, but nobody ever places bookshelves that way. Also, I think that's a bridge made of a really long desk? The floor color is really saturated and kind of jarring to me. The NESish pattern on the walls bugs me too, but I think it's more an issue with how the sprites look more than how you placed them.

HeroOfFire: I'm not normally a fan of classic, but this is honestly a pretty nice screen. I am a little confused about how it works in practice, though--particularly in the top-right where the mushroom and dead tree are blocking your way. Can you just not get past without flippers?

Orithan: Oh, that's interesting. I don't know how this dungeon works at all (why is there a door with no floor under it? Do you just fall if you come at the screen from the north?), but I definitely like it, and the questions going off in my mind are the "ooh, what could that mean?" kind and not "ugh, immersion ruined" kind. The lower level floor being darker is a really nice touch, but it also makes me notice that the wall for the lower floor doesn't have the same effect--if anything, it looks brighter than the wall for the upper floor. The pillars on the south walls bother me a little because of their proximity to the diagonals making make the corners/door look more dynamic. It makes it look like the pillars are leaning. I also think the screen might look a bit cleaner if the floor pattern weren't as strong.

I'm giving this one the vote, I like the multilevel floor and the weird crystal in the middle of the room. Gotta reward weird.

Sheik: This one I'm not really sure how to talk about! It's a pretty screen in one of those fancy RPG-looking tilesets that blur together for me a little. I like the house a lot. I think the thing that's the most jarring to me is the thick black outline on the cucco (and, to a lesser degree, the other NPCs). It looks like it hasn't quiiiiiiite left its LA roots behind.

• Eddy likes this

#3 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:25 PM

Eddy: There's a lot about this screen that bothers me. The placement of the bookshelves is really awkward--bookshelves are taller than they are wide, and the top row of them should be overlapping the wall. It looks like you should be able to walk behind them on this screen, but nobody ever places bookshelves that way. Also, I think that's a bridge made of a really long desk? The floor color is really saturated and kind of jarring to me. The NESish pattern on the walls bugs me too, but I think it's more an issue with how the sprites look more than how you placed them.

Well damn, plenty of stuff to get through here but plenty of valid critique too :P Totally fair with the bookshelves, the placements of them are intentional since this is meant to be kind of a "maze" to put it loosely. Shelves not going over the wall is also intentional to be consistent with everything else in the quest where nothing goes over walls. The desk is in fact not a bridge, although that would've be more obvious if I took the screen below instead. As far as colours go, I'm absolute trash at palette making, so this was just some modifications of default stuff. I think it's fine for the most part IMO, earlier iterations of this screen looked much much worse when I had no idea what I was doing, but I'll try and have a go at changing things again.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

• Twilight Knight and Shane like this

#4 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:21 PM

Eddy's looks most interesting to me for today.'

• Shane and Eddy like this

#5 Ephemeral.7

Ephemeral.7

• Members

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:19 PM

Eddy - That looks new to me! Fresh. Bs Graphics with a twist. What is he gonna do?!? I dont know but I bet there is some good reads up in there! Could use a bit more detail but BS Zelda graphics are kind of like that. I think it looks good. Not sure if it's completely BS graphics or not. But the walls are for sure. Sweet job!

HeroOfFire - I really am digging the colors of this NES remake classic style. Nicely detailed and reminds me a bit of swansong with lesser detail with the lily pads and those pond plants. I could see this going somewhere. The colors too again are very nice! Great work! 

Orithan - This is some nice design! New floor tiles I've never seen! I like the higher and lower color change in light and dark, feels authentic! I wanna know what that diamond fountain is. I just stared at it for 5 minutes without blinking. Feel like a crow. Shiny! I especially like the doorway shadows and the light rays from the windows. Nicely placed! Awesome work!

Sheik - Highly Detailed! Nice contrast between Green, Brown and grey, it works nicely together in combination. Very natural feeling. Nice placement of tiles, not too crowded. All around a good screen. long process to make. I can tell it was tedious! I like that small piece of grass sticking out from beside the ladder on the cliff. Nice touch! Excellent job!

I voted HeroOfFire because the screen itself felt nostalgic yet new. Very interested to see what else can come if this.!

:clap:

• Eddy likes this

#6 Ghost

Ghost

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:21 AM

Eddy, definitely. It's chaotic with graphics of mixed perspectives and colors, but I like it.

• Eddy likes this

#7 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:26 AM

Eddy - That looks new to me! Fresh. Bs Graphics with a twist. What is he gonna do?!? I dont know but I bet there is some good reads up in there! Could use a bit more detail but BS Zelda graphics are kind of like that. I think it looks good. Not sure if it's completely BS graphics or not. But the walls are for sure. Sweet job!

Thanks! This uses the FYS tileset as a base. The walls were made by Shane which are freeform BS walls, so ye it's kind of a mix of stuff.

• SkyLizardGirl and Ephemeral.7 like this

#8 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Ether and Ephemeral.

@ Ether: Funnily enough, the Cucco is the only sprite that did not originate from the Gameboy Zeldas but is actually from LttP! I agree though, that it would be nicer to have a set of NPCs and other sprites that blend better with the tileset. --
@ Ephemeral: Yeah, I might have spent a couple hours on that while I should have been studying instead...

• nicklegends likes this

#9 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 04 March 2021 - 09:21 AM

Eddy.png

Is it me or are those bookshelf tiles kind of... sus? :flushed: I'd make that crapet not blue but red, it kind of looks like water. But overall great screen and can't wait for the release! :bounce:

I voted Sheik, it's good to see DoR getting some love every now and again. The Link sprite I'm not big on though.

• Eddy, SkyLizardGirl and Bagu like this

#10 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:05 PM

Orithan or Sheik...? Orithan or Sheik...?
...that's not an easy question.

I love both screens but my vote goes to Orithan.
His Hero Sprite looks amazing.

#11 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 04 March 2021 - 05:09 PM

Is it me or are those bookshelf tiles kind of... sus? :flushed:

Don't do this to me Shane, PLEASE

But that is fair with the carpet, Joel thought it was water too until I told him it's meant to be a carpet lol. I could try for a red carpet and see how that looks instead.

• Shane and SkyLizardGirl like this

#12 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:45 PM

Don't do this to me Shane, PLEASE

But that is fair with the carpet, Joel thought it was water too until I told him it's meant to be a carpet lol. I could try for a red carpet and see how that looks instead.

amogus

• Shane, Eddy and Matthew like this

#13 Lordkronos

Lordkronos

Hero of Dark World

• Members

Posted 14 March 2021 - 10:44 AM

My Vote goes for Orithans Mysticaly Looking Screen :D

#14 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:29 AM

With 46.51% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 750 is Orithan!

Orithan.png
What if this was not a beautiful lie?

Congrats!

Voting totals:
- Eddy - 6 votes [13.95%]
- HeroOfFire - 9 votes [20.93%]
- Orithan - 20 votes [46.51%]
- Sheik - 8 votes [18.60%]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Orithan, Eddy, HeroOfFire, Sheik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users