Photo

Screenshot of the Week 182

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 182 (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#46 Aribar

Aribar

• Members

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:32 PM

Gah... Between school work and the new release of Dwarf Fortress, I totally forgot I entered a screenshot here.. At the time of typing, I've gotten 4 votes; my best entry yet! Time to begin my picture scrutiny, and apologies in advance if I'm coming on too harsh.

Nuvo: Nice moutainy/valley screen. Everything looks pretty nice except for the... Wind fans? After a close look they don't look as out-of-place as I first thought, but they still don't seem to fit with the rest of the screen. I think that may be because it seemingly uses just a single gray color for the majority of it. Subscreen-wise, it looks okay, but I'd make the handle of the sword a pixel or so longer. (Edit: Noticed you also were showing off the waterfall stuff. The water looks wonderful there!)

Evan the great: Oooh... That's a nice forest scene. The only comment I can make here is that the BS-style grass in the middle seems a tiny bit out of place. Besides that, excellent setting, good graphics, and sharp looking subscreen.

CastChaos: A nice shot, but parts of it just seem.. Odd to me. It seems like the mountain tiles near Link and the ones on the right side of the screen just don't mesh in 100% (Edit: Could just be my lack of familiarity with the tilesets, though). On the left side, that raised foresty part over the hole in the ground seems kinda odd, as well as the rock on the cliff at the bottom of the screen. Still, a very cool screenshot.

Joe123: It's a pretty nice shot, and I can find no complaints with it. I remember seeing the video this one came from. This one would have probably gotten my vote if I didn't null. While nothing particularly stands out about this shot, it's still pretty well designed.

Aribar: Talentless hack! Er, I mean... I could have put some more effort into it such as a custom Link and enemies, custom subscreen... Still, thanks for the construtive criticism, all. The canyon in the middle was supposed to be a small dried up river. I didn't even think that it might look too short on the northern side, although now I can definately see that. It isn't the best in the world, but for not putting all that I could into the shot, I'm happy.

Plissken: Ooh... Shiney custom tiles. Looks pretty nice. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with commenting on screens such as this, so I can't say much.

TriMaster: Eh, it's okay. A tiny bit too semetrical (Referring mostly to the nigh-identical sets of bones in the red floor near the walls). Still, a decent dungeon screen I think.

Edited by Aribar, 31 October 2007 - 03:37 PM.

#47 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Oct 31 2007, 08:30 PM) View Post
Nope, I don't. I recommend using more twists and turns and multiple levels of height to prevent monotony in mountains. Note what I did with the diagonals in my example screenshot earlier.

I would do that, but I'm really not that confident with your cliffs. To be honest, I've never been particularily great with any mountain tiles (apart from Z1 and FFA but they don't really count). I spose I find them too hard to use to start making them look fancy icon_unsettled.gif

#48 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

A lesson I have to learn. "Symmetry does not win SotW." icon_razz.gif

#49 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE(russadwan @ Oct 31 2007, 09:20 PM) View Post

Hm, easy way out. Blaming the bad guy for your errors. I like it.

Okay, seems like I can't explain it without spoilers: Vaati searches for "something", so he turns the whole land upside down. Of course, the elevation issue was because of me, and I fixed it. It looks really neat now, especially it's light world version. That foresty part is to show that Kokiri Forest is just west from this overworld. I hope later screens will clear things up. Let's just say, what you have been told in the demo, were lies! :O

QUOTE(TriMaster001)

A lesson I have to learn. "Symmetry does not win SotW." icon_razz.gif

No, simmetry is just inverting one half of the screen to the another. So, it worths half a screen. Use simmetry only where you need it, like treasure rooms, royal castles, etc. Twists are always good.

#50 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:23 PM

Nuvo is the winner. 183 begins tomorrow, but I've yet to receive any submissions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users