Idea how you could share your quest elsewhere

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:00 PM

Have you ever wanted to let people outside this community play your quest, but realised getting it to play is just too awkward? "Hey check out my cool game, but first download this, then that, then open ZC, press Escape to find the control settings, create a new savegame, press press "A" twice, browse for the quest to load it and then start playing."

Here's an idea on how to do it better, not sure if it's good.
  • Prepare your quest in a zip file which includes the correct ZC version. Can include enhanced music too.
  • Prepare the savefile so that your quest is already loaded in a slot.
  • Delete 1st - 5th quests so theres no chance they accidently start up those.
I also see an option in the launcher called "enable quickload quest:" Maybe preparing that to automatically start your quest can work too?

Edited by Avataro, 18 September 2018 - 08:15 PM.

• Anthus and Aquamentus (Facing Right) like this

#2 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:57 PM

ZC normally won't start if any of the 1st-5th quests are missing.

What you want is the -standalone command line argument. Make a batch file to run
.\zelda-w.exe -standalone myquest.qst
and it will only play that quest. It will skip both the 1st-5th quests check and the save screen.

It's not perfect, though. Since there's no save screen, there's only one save slot, and there's no way to start the quest over except to delete zc.sav.
  • Avaro and Aquamentus (Facing Right) like this

#3 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:29 AM

I just delete 1st.qst then rename my own quest as '1st.qst'.

• Avaro and Aquamentus (Facing Right) like this

#4 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:36 AM

I've been considering whether it would be a good idea for someone to write a tool which combines the ZC engine with a quest into one executable. Would solve these issues outright, as well as making it possible (if you used you own assets - especially relevant since we're doing the open assets right now) to potentially publish quests as 'proper' games.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to program such a thing right now :P, but it'd be something that I feel would be fairly useful.
  • Avaro likes this

#5 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:43 AM

I'd also really like to see a more user-friendly way to set up ZC and start playing custom quests. We don't need it, but it may encourage more people to try and play our stuff. The more complicated it is to set something up, the less people will be bothered to try it.

• Avaro and Joelmacool like this

#6 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:21 AM

Maybe there could be customs quest in place of 1st-5th quest. Like how we voted for which quests made the front page and demonstrated the community, but for the engine itself. It could also be a good example of how to make a quest in the first place.

• Avaro likes this

#7 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:54 AM

Aren't 3rd, 4th and 5th already custom quests? Also, I always wondered if it would be possible to let multiple quests interact which each other.

Like you have 4 quests, but you only can start one and the game results decide which one you can play next.

Or you have multiple quest files that kind of act as maps, to make some things easier not to corrupt each other.

Like if you want to edit things in a older dungeon, you can do so by editing a small quest instead of a big quest that might mess things up in other parts of the quest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users