Photo

A Hat in Time

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:57 PM

I'm sure many people may have heard of this little game in development by now, but I can't recall anyone making a topic about it or really talking about it at all here on PureZC, so thought I would do so and spread some more awareness:

http://hatintime.com/

A Hat in Time is a 3D platformer game in the alpha stage of development by indie developer Gears for Breakfast, modeled after 3D collectathon platoformers of the past, namely Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie. The game stars a young girl named Hat Kid as she does interstellar adventures on a quest to get home or something like that. It was crowd-funded via Kickstarter and became a huge success, and is currently slated for a PC release only right now, though the developers hope to be able to release it on Wii U as well; unsure about plans for other consoles.

Game will also feature JonTron as a side character voice role, and a couple of music compositions from Mr. Grant Kirkhope himself! Between this and Playtonic Games' Project Ukulele, the future looks bright for fans of the collectathon genre. Hopefully this sparks a revival of that genre, though admittedly I'm not holding my breath. Unless another 64/Sunshine/Galaxy-style Mario comes out, then we're good.

Video for the lazy:

• DCEnygma likes this

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:04 PM

I have it. I spent a while playing it a day or two ago. I really wish the controls were rebindable, (Or at least to my knowledge they aren't.) because that would make it absolutely perfect. I also kind of wish we had more than 4 hit points to us, but that part comes later, maybe.

It's completely filled with class, charm, wit, detail, (SO much detail...) and I am really, really having a lot of fun with it.
  • The Satellite likes this

#3 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:59 AM

I love N64 era style platformers!  I love cute protagonists wearing awesome hats!  I also love Grant Kirkhope more than I love you.

So yeah, I guess this is a must have for me, then.

• DCEnygma and The Satellite like this

#4 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:38 AM

Well this looks very interesting. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

#5 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:59 AM

I remember seeing this back when it hit Kickstarter and ended up missing the window to jump on board (the same issue happened with Mighty No. 9, actually). That said, it still looks as interesting as it did back then and I can't wait to see what comes from this! :)

#6 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

I almost forgot I made this thread. Game has still been in development all this time and a release date was nowhere in sight... but no longer.

Fall 2017. It's about time. Personally I'm hoping this game can get a console port, would love to have it on Switch, but I'm happy to see the game's finally about to be released. Also...

Between this and Playtonic Games' Project Ukulele, the future looks bright for fans of the collectathon genre. Hopefully this sparks a revival of that genre, though admittedly I'm not holding my breath. Unless another 64/Sunshine/Galaxy-style Mario comes out, then we're good.

... I accidentally called Super Mario Odyssey, also coming out this year. You're all welcome.

• Anthus and Jared like this

#7 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

If a game has great adventure and exploration elements, then I really want to go do all the side-collectiony stuff. If the adventure and exploration elements are weak or oversimplified then I ultimately don't give a crap. Sunshine is one of my fave games ever, I like Mario 64 a lot, Galaxy 1 was okay, I thought Starfox Dinosaur Planet was boring and lame, and really did not enjoy the hour or two I put into DK64.

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:59 PM

So this came out yesterday. I'm going to be buying it today, after work. Anyone else pick it up yet? It looks really, really good, and is getting good reviews, for whatever that's worth.

As videogamedunkey puts it, "This is an indie game. Is it on the Might No. 9 side, or the Shovel Knight side? Fortunately, this one is on the Shovel Knight side". (To clarify, he said this about Yooka-Laylee, but said that was on the Mighty No. 9 side.)

#9 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

I would pick it up but I'm low on cash and need to save for Odyssey. Plus, a Switch version may be in the works, so I may just hold out for that.

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

I've played it for about an hour now, and it feels really good so far, and like they thought a lot about how the character should feel to control. The character's weight is very similar to how Mario feels in Mario Sunshine. That's personally my favorite Mario to control, so that's a plus for me. I have a feeling I'll be playing this for a few hours on end. The writing seems pretty decent too, and there are a plethora of options for the graphics settings.

I'm still Switchless, but I was bummed that there wasn't a Switch version announced right away, but I can see it coming out after the Odyssey hype train slows down.

#11 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:55 PM

They haven't been able to get a Switch devkit for a while. They just recently got one, so of course that's gonna take some time before they can release a Switch version. Plus, PC launch was imminent so they had to focus all their efforts on making sure that went well. They're a small team, after all.

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

A small part of me thinks Nintendo doesn't want it to come out before their Mario on the same system for fear of it competing for sales. I'm probably totally wrong here, but they are doing PS4 and Xbone ports. From my understanding the Switch is supposed to be easy to port to, especially with unity, or unreal.

Either way the game is a blast so far. It's not without its kinks, but it's a refreshing experience. :)

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

From my understanding the Switch is supposed to be easy to port to, especially with unity, or unreal.

And yet here I am six months later still waiting for Yooka-Laylee's Switch port.

#14 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:26 PM

That's true, I suppose. It may be cause it was somewhat poorly received, but I have no real evidence to back that up.

There's also this: (Very minor easter egg/ reference)

Spoiler

Even though I'm playing on Steam which is fully capable of taking screenshots, here I am taking a picture with my phone. :tard:

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:33 PM

Playtonic has at least kept running updates and just the other week told us why it's taking so long. It has little to do with reception there. Plus, if Nintendo was really concerned about releasing 3D platformers competing with Mario on their own system, they wouldn't have given Playtonic access to a devkit so early on. A Hat in Time is honestly really small-time too, so I highly doubt it's because Nintendo fears competition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users