• Banned

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:39 AM

Hmm...

Nine Villages
Nargad's Trail
Ballad of a Bloodline (2 and 3)
Hero of Dreams
Dreams of Yesterday

Those come tob mind when I think of quests with large overworlds. I might think of a few others.

Nine Villages covers the most 'in-game' terrain/distance, as it uses a Z2 style overworld with nine sub-areas.

My own stuff tends to be immense, with an average 'area' size' of 32x32 screens per 'region'. I also probably have the largest 'in-game' distance, as some of my quests have 'space' DMaps where the player sprite becomes a spacecraft.

I'm trying to think of some Classic tileset quests with huge areas...

Forbidden City, Souls of Wisdom, and Shattered Courage also have big overworlds IIRC.

For Classic quests, I'm not sure. IDR how big the overworld is in RoyalDarkness (Remastered).. I seem to recall that it felt decently big, for the style.

Dawn to Twillight, was also sufficiently large for a Classic quest.

I'm rather fond of large quests.

#3 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:22 AM

Nowadays, I don't ever create large overworlds (See Chocolate Shadow Temple for a very small overworld) mainly because when I do make big overworlds, I find it hard to fit things in without leaving dead-ends or just blank spots. With smaller areas, the overworld would seem a lot more expansive in terms of secrets and overall, feel a lot better to the player. 

• Shane and Jared like this

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:36 AM

Nowadays, I don't ever create large overworlds (See Chocolate Shadow Temple for a very small overworld) mainly because when I do make big overworlds, I find it hard to fit things in without leaving dead-ends or just blank spots. With smaller areas, the overworld would seem a lot more expansive in terms of secrets and overall, feel a lot better to the player.

Back in the 2.10 era, people were shouting for more maps, to make huge overworlds, because they ran out of maps, trying to make them.

Now, you have the maps, and you don't use them.

Pfffffffffft.
  • Anthus, nicklegends, Jared and 2 others like this

#5 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:07 AM

To mention a quest with large overwold
Time After by mudvayne..

#6 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:02 AM

I'd say Lost Isle has a pretty gigantic overworld, 6 BS-Zelda overworlds compiled into one I believe. Also a really nice overworld to play through too with a nice variety of areas and a ton of hidden things to find everywhere.

A couple other huge ones that come to mind: Hero of Dreams, Ballad of a Bloodline and Isle of Rebirth. There's probably more but I can't think of any right now.

• Shane and Jared like this

#7 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:08 AM

Nargad's Trails: Crystal Crusades.

• judasrising likes this

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

Don't the Ramdomizer quests also have beaucoup overworlds?
  • nicklegends likes this

#9 Reflectionist

Reflectionist

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:19 PM

Back in the 2.10 era, people were shouting for more maps, to make huge overworlds, because they ran out of maps, trying to make them.

Now, you have the maps, and you don't use them.

Pfffffffffft.

Heh, I remember those days. I appreciate having more maps even with smaller overworlds because you have more space to pull of eye candy wizardry.

Or even duplicates of overworld areas for gameplay purposes, like the Oracle games or LttP or even Minish Cap.

There are puzzlebox dungeons in almost every game, too. Thats basically copies of maps for every combination of state... can get rough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users