New GBC Tileset

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:39 PM

I'm currently working on my ForestTemle with the great EZGBZ tileset (which nowadays is a bit out of days) and just recognized that there are far to less dungeon detail tiles. I'm like spreading stoned flowers and barrels and little leafs all over the dungeon and I'm pretty bored by the look of it, one room looks like the one I made before. Well, it's able to avoid falling asleep by the look of it by having different floors and giving the temple an specific architecture but still...

The point: Gimme detail tiles to layer around with! Thats pretty important oO.

Yep. That's it for know, if something else comes in my mind I miss here I'll mention it. So long, Shiek.

#32 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

I like the idea, I've used the currently made gbc tilesets, but they have to much missing from them. You could still make a quest with them, but not as good as you would normally be able to create, without having to add much tiles and what not yourself. It would also be cool to have a custom sub screen that resembles the Orcale zelda games. One thing I don't like about most tilesets is having to create a whole new sub screen from scratch just to make it look somewhat decent. This is a good idea Joe123, stay with it. icon_thumbsup.gif

#33 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(Elmensajero @ Apr 10 2009, 06:47 PM) View Post

Reduced to differences and/or ones I wanted to comment on.

Default:
  • Bracelets - GBstyle power bracelets! lol, j/k unless you changed your mind about scripting them, which I doubt you have. As far as keeping the LOZstyle bracelets in, sure, why not.
  • Defence Rings - I think the tunics idea is better.
  • Flippers - I prefer the actual flippers item.
  • Amulet - I don't really remember what this item did, so no preference I guess.
  • Bow - maybe, I actually prefer the Slingshot, see note below
  • Candle - Would be replaced with the Ember seeds. Hmmm, it seems kind of weird to have one kind of seeds but not any other. What about replacing with Magic Powder instead?
  • Whistle - Not if it is LOZstyle. I can't really think of a feasible way to include it as a GBstyle ocarina/flute at the moment...
  • Wand/Book - Might be able to set up like the LA wand which can power through ice combos. Yeah, I would say have the book as an invisible item so that the wand acts like the LA wand.
  • Hammer - I would say no...
Scripted:
  • Harp of Ages - If you are including Rod of Seasons, might as well include this too.
  • Ember Seeds - Again, I would suggest using Magic Powder, unless you really like the Ember Seeds for some reason.
  • Scripted active shield - scripted
Note: If you used the Slingshot instead of the bow, then you could also script a Hyper Slingshot as an upgrade to it that would work similarly to how it was in OoS.
  • I haven't changed my mind about the bracelets, no. I'll probably keep in the LOZ ones though.
  • Yeah, I'm starting to think I might prefer the tunics
  • But what do we do about the blue tunic?
  • Makes invisible enemies visible. The golden tunic used it.
  • Right ok
  • Actually that's not a bad idea. It was just that the ember seeds filled the place quite well. I think I might use the magic powder though
  • So no book, but keep the wand. I'll have a think.
  • Why not? I was thinking no because it's not in the GB games, but it's a standard ZC item
  • But would a quest-maker want both?
  • Maybe
  • Yes ok
And that's a very good reason to use the slingshot instead of the bow. I might well do that, it wouldn't be very hard at all.

QUOTE(Alestance @ Apr 10 2009, 06:48 PM) View Post
The default items left out will just have to be added to the subscreen manually. The tileset isn't gonna force you to lose your original potions, ladders, rafts, etc. You just have to know a little about the subscreen editor to put them back. icon_shrug.gif

The more people I can stop from using the ladder and the raft the better! =P

QUOTE(Shiek @ Apr 10 2009, 09:39 PM) View Post
The point: Gimme detail tiles to layer around with! Thats pretty important oO.

Well if they were in the original games, I'll give you them. Hopefully.

And I'm glad you like the sound of it Mr Fresh. There will definately be a GB-style custom subscreen, no need to worry about that.

You know, it was so much easier making tilesets back in 2.10 when we didn't have any choice over which items we were going to include and whatnot.

#34 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

Great, I have seen some of your work, I have no doubts in you.

Plus, this would be a good tileset for me to use in a quest one day. (When it's finished) I used the others and even with most of the leftout things they did not contain, I was able to have fun, and make some progress with them.

The Legend of Zelda Oracle series was also one of my favorites.

#35 creatorofchaos

creatorofchaos

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

Don't forget Gasha seeds

#36 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

i think the seeds wouldn't be a problem to script. but the pegasus seeds and the gale seeds are useless.

the embers seed , i actually would prefer them over the red candle anytime. the red candle doesn't fit the gameboy aspect .

the hyper slingshot , as elmensajero noted above , will it be possible to be scripted as an upgrade to the L-1 slingshot?

I really don't see the blue tunic acting as the flippers. maybe you can script an L-2 flippers to act as the mermaid suit and change links LTM? just an idea.

And keep up the good work joe.
I'm waiting and anticipating this release to finish my quest.

was the shovel LTM ever fixed?

Edited by Christian, 10 April 2009 - 08:50 PM.

#37 Elmensajero

Elmensajero

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:47 PM

Well, I just played The Fort Knights for the first time, and I changed my mind on a couple of things. (Very nice job with that quest btw Joe, I was quite impressed that something like that could be made in only 2 weeks!)

First, the ember seeds fit rather well, much better than I thought they would, and if you are looking for something to just replace the candle without much modification, those might be a better choice than the magic powder. (When I suggested the Magic Powder before I was picturing something more to the way it worked in LA, it might be strange for fire to suddenly appear instantly instead of "magic dust" appearing that has the ability to set stuff on fire.)

The hammer also seemed to fit okay. I was thinking no for the same reason as you, since it isn't a standard GB item, but it would prob work fine with this tileset, it just depends how much room you need once you start designing the subscreen.

I did not like the Blue Tunic very much. It was annoying to have to switch over to it to go through water, esp. if there were invisible enemies on the screen. Flippers would be much more appropriate in my opinion. The other tunics were fine, but when I was thinking of tunics before, I was imagining one that would increase the player's attack power and another that would increase the defense power. If you still want to include the ones you scripted, the red and golden ones worked fine, I just don't know what could replace the Blue Tunic either. Perhaps it could enhance the flippers by allowing Link to stay underwater for longer periods of time.

Edited by Elmensajero, 10 April 2009 - 10:49 PM.

#38 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE(Elmensajero @ Apr 11 2009, 05:47 AM) View Post

I did not like the Blue Tunic very much. It was annoying to have to switch over to it to go through water, esp. if there were invisible enemies on the screen. Flippers would be much more appropriate in my opinion. The other tunics were fine, but when I was thinking of tunics before, I was imagining one that would increase the player's attack power and another that would increase the defense power. If you still want to include the ones you scripted, the red and golden ones worked fine, I just don't know what could replace the Blue Tunic either. Perhaps it could enhance the flippers by allowing Link to stay underwater for longer periods of time.

Or the player can't dive without wearing the blue tunic so that you can give it a look with the blue tunic and the dive warps as if the blue tunic allows you to enter underwater sections like a zora town or what ever as if it was the blue tunic in OoT a bit.

But I don't bother switching tunics, that's what they are made for.

Edit: Sounds. We all want a GB overworld MIDI (and maybe some more) and GB SFX's. We wan't 'em bad. Yep.

Edited by Shiek, 11 April 2009 - 05:22 AM.

#39 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE(Elmensajero @ Apr 10 2009, 11:47 PM) View Post

The hammer also seemed to fit okay. I was thinking no for the same reason as you, since it isn't a standard GB item, but it would prob work fine with this tileset, it just depends how much room you need once you start designing the subscreen.

Wasn't the hammer in LA? icon_blink.gif

#40 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:56 AM

It's been a few days since you last told us how your coming along. So,... how are you coming along ? :-)

#41 4matsy

4matsy

SHE WILL WAKE ONLY WITH THE POWER OF NO. 3 CHEESEFORCE

• Members

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

So I stumbled across this thingy that I think might be useful in doing this tileset...

http://www.romhackin...ic,8238.75.html

Dwedit (the guy that wrote that old DOS editor for the Zelda 2 ROM) has been working on a viewer (and I guess editor, eventually...) for the Oracles games' tiles and maps. The download link for the latest version of it is in his last post in the thread.

It can dump all the tiles and maps in the game's level data to PNGs...would be a big help in ripping tiles and palettes, if you guys aren't too far along with that. icon_biggrin.gif

It doesn't do sprites though, at least at the moment...

Edited by 4matsy, 15 April 2009 - 03:17 PM.

#42 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Apr 11 2009, 03:30 AM) View Post

Wasn't the hammer in LA? icon_blink.gif

No.

#43 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(4matsy @ Apr 15 2009, 02:13 PM) View Post

So I stumbled across this thingy that I think might be useful in doing this tileset...

http://www.romhackin...ic,8238.75.html

Dwedit (the guy that wrote that old DOS editor for the Zelda 2 ROM) has been working on a viewer (and I guess editor, eventually...) for the Oracles games' tiles and maps. The download link for the latest version of it is in his last post in the thread.

It can dump all the tiles and maps in the game's level data to PNGs...would be a big help in ripping tiles and palettes, if you guys aren't too far along with that. icon_biggrin.gif

It doesn't do sprites though, at least at the moment...

Its already been done, I can;t remember who did it but they already ripped all the Oracle / Gb screens like that before.

#44 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:35 AM

Now THAT is cool. What would be even cooler is if the PNGs had palettes intact... do they?

#45 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE(Relic @ Apr 16 2009, 03:35 AM) View Post

Now THAT is cool. What would be even cooler is if the PNGs had palettes intact... do they?

I just tried it , and i must say , its pretty IMPRESSIVE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users