Photo

Project DoRUCC

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:45 PM

Well, I've decided that one person shouldn't be limited to doing this; others can help if they wish.

I was recently asked about creating new NPCs for DoR, allowing for something a little more fitting than the overused, 16x16 GB characters. since most of the tiles in DoR are actually designed for larger characters, I have started a new set - one that should be possible to contibute to.

So my question is this: Do you wish to help?

So far, this is what I have, and to use as an example:
IPB Image
Recently, this is what I've got for four NPCs - Yes, I know they virtually use the same body, but they're designed to be somewhat generic, and rather forgetful yet have wider role possibilities.

IPB Image

This would be the template for a front-facing adult female - Although, don't entirely base it on what you see.
Use it as guideline - Hairstyles and facial modifications will mean ignoring the given hair highlight ring and hair\face outline, as the same to a new outfit, but making note of the character's height and width. Moreover, don't forget that the view is top-down, so don't make it look like the character's laying down (unless that's the intention). Also, this should also have the most up-to-date experimental DoR palette included, of which has been discussed here.

So, participants, get spriting - I'll get side and back sprites done as soon as possible, along with their animations. (Unless you wish to do your own animations, along with back and side sprites as well - That's okay with me.)

EDIT: Clarifications.

Edited by Linkus, 11 February 2009 - 10:46 PM.

#2 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:32 PM

Which works SO well with 16x16 Link!

#3 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE(Prospekt @ Feb 11 2009, 09:32 PM) View Post

Which works SO well with 16x16 Link!

Well, yeah, especially when somebody's been playing with a "Jack and the Beanstalk" idea in his head. icon_wink.gif

These look cool, Linkus. Big Link needs company. I, unfortunately, am a terrible spriter and artist, so I'm going to settle for... emotional support.

#4 Questwizard

Questwizard

The Moldorm Guy

• Members

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:50 AM

Could be an interesting thing. We might see some really good stuff come out of this, though I too, am a terrible artist when it comes to drawing any sort of person or monster sprites, though I can do just about anything else fairly well.

Edited by Questwizard88, 12 February 2009 - 12:50 AM.

#5 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

I have been seeking an oppurtunity to attempt some spriting, so may I be of some assistance?

#6 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, we would need a big Link first though. icon_confused.gif

But the project sounds great!

#7 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

Are these going to be animated? The problem with most 16x32 people are that they aren't animated.

This looks like a great project though. I'd help, but I'm not very good with sprites.

#8 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE(Blaman @ Feb 12 2009, 10:10 AM) View Post
I have been seeking an oppurtunity to attempt some spriting, so may I be of some assistance?

It's an open project, so yes. Like I said, I have provided a palette and a small template for now, which I'll get to expanding sometime soon.

QUOTE(ZebraStallion @ Feb 12 2009, 04:00 PM) View Post
Are these going to be animated? The problem with most 16x32 people are that they aren't animated.

This looks like a great project though. I'd help, but I'm not very good with sprites.

They will be animated, in a four-frame sequence. I won't go too much into detail with them, as I want to make them easy to use, instead of a difficult setup.

EDIT:

I know some of you have waiting for this - The female template is done, so I'll start on a male template, followed by the child template.

IPB Image

Edited by Linkus, 12 February 2009 - 07:28 PM.

#9 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:17 PM

I love the walking template. Keep up the good work!

#10 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:27 AM

Those rock. I'd help, but I'm not that good at handling awesome.

#11 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:29 AM

icon_neutral.gif I have mixed thoughts here. On the one hand, those look awesome, and it's true that DoR would look good with bigger sprites.

On the other hand, there are problems...

1. Everybody's right about there being no DoR 16x32 Link, but a passable option would be to rip Minish Cap Link directly into the set (might have to replace CSet 6, though).
2. These are good for the forgettable characters, but you'd need sprites for the "memorable" characters to match.
3. 16x32 Link doesn't look right without the Big Link rule checked. If you check it, good luck converting all the tileset's walk flags... Especially if you've already started a quest.

Anyway, I'm sure your finished tiles will be fantastic. icon_thumbsup.gif I'm just not sure how many of us will be able to use them. icon_unsettled.gif

#12 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

I can think of some uses for them when they're done, but it doesn't involve ZC at all. They'd make great NPCs for an RPG.
How are the templates coming Linkus?

I decided to take a crack at it:
IPB Image
Thoughts? Does it fit in with your project, Linkus?

#13 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

Well, here's what I can tell you:

First off, try to keep within the palette you want to work for this. Although 8-bit is something I can work with, it is better for the person to make it easy on the person who rips the NPC. In this case, you have either worked in Cset 9 or Cset 10, which is the one you need to form into.

Secondly, don't overdo it in terms of anti-aliasing; everything doesn't need to be anti-aliased. A little bit of a harsh change in color doesn't hurt, and in terms of palette limits, it is also unavoidable.

Also, to make it easier on others, a note: try keeping to a single color gradient on specific parts, such as the hair or an article of clothing, but don't be afraid to detail a little bit.

#14 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

1. I can probably change it to use one cset.

2. I...don't actually know what anti-aliasing is... Lol. >_<

3. I'm guessing you're reffering to the bright red on the dress? I ment for that to be some frills, but i can change it. I also did the same with the hair's outline. Again, no big deal for me t change.

#15 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

http://gas13.ru/v3/t...ntialiasing.php

Maybe this will help with anti-aliasing, but for something like this don't put too much into it. icon_wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users