Photo

Map of the Month 57

Shoelace

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 57 (55 member(s) have cast votes)

What are you doing right now?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:52 AM

Eddy's was a bit too modern -- I can appreciate the modern setting, don't get me wrong. But I prefer medieval maps more. :P

#toomuchrealismyo

But yeah, that's perfectly understandable. I kinda wanted to try something new and that happened lol

• Shane likes this

#17 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:01 AM

#toomuchrealismyo

But yeah, that's perfectly understandable. I kinda wanted to try something new and that happened lol

Yeah, I like it. It's certainly unique, and not to mention, you did a great job on Subrosia; it looks great. :D

• Eddy likes this

#18 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:06 AM

Here's gameplay footage of my map. I may or may not get back to this project someday :)

https://www.youtube....h?v=zboyf1-sOSM

Sadly the quality isn't the best, but yeah.

Edited by Avataro, 02 November 2014 - 10:07 AM.

• Shane, Eddy, Jared and 1 other like this

#19 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:51 PM

Here's gameplay footage of my map. I may or may not get back to this project someday :)

The animated details really bring the place to life. Too bad it's so difficult to create an animated map. :(
  • Avaro likes this

#20 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

I voted for Avataro, I'm a sucker for forest shots, but alas, this guy here managed to pull something beautiful and it's not in DoRH. Shoelace would have been second place for me, but I also love the Sky Land feel and it's something new! But like some said, it's a bit too busy, but who cares, it's the effort for pulling something like this off that I love! Oh yeah, and too much Donkey Kong from those barrels. I would have loved to vote for both, they were pretty much tied from my perspective, but... yep. 

Dude, this makes Hylian Legacy look bad. I fricking love that intro and the scripts so far! (You used Tango.zh for the strings right?) You better take this project again! :D

Edited by Demonlink, 02 November 2014 - 07:39 PM.

• Avaro likes this

#21 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:32 AM

I nulled my vote. And indeed we had a good turn out. Interesting comments with the busy part of my map. I guess I will explain my side. I sorta thought about other games where there are just screens connecting just to connect. Every time I make a screen I kinda ask what is the point of this area. I feel that it is important on how I design because now I have back stories for every path. Even if the player doesn't know it I know the back story on the areas. And you can see it in the design.

Now obviously ZC is one screen to another. I don't think of the screens being busy because I think everything is needed. I am not a fan of repeativeness. I make the areas with tons to do and many routes to go through; but goal being to not be repeative. In my game I won't have random heart pieces laying around the over world. People will need to work for them. Lol
  • Jenny and Mr Silver like this

#22 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:20 PM

I nulled my vote. And indeed we had a good turn out. Interesting comments with the busy part of my map. I guess I will explain my side. I sorta thought about other games where there are just screens connecting just to connect. Every time I make a screen I kinda ask what is the point of this area. I feel that it is important on how I design because now I have back stories for every path. Even if the player doesn't know it I know the back story on the areas. And you can see it in the design.

Now obviously ZC is one screen to another. I don't think of the screens being busy because I think everything is needed. I am not a fan of repeativeness. I make the areas with tons to do and many routes to go through; but goal being to not be repeative. In my game I won't have random heart pieces laying around the over world. People will need to work for them. Lol

You know what may help with the "business"? Adding a white tint to the land below. Kind of like what Skyward Sword did, except only making a transparent layer. It would make everything seem a bit lighter and toned out, so we don't focus on it as much as the rest of the actual screen/island we're on.

Edited by Jared, 04 November 2014 - 11:34 PM.

• Shane likes this

#23 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:03 AM

Yeah that won't work though.  I am already using all of the layers.  lol.  The sky background is all Layer 3 then I click the use as bottom layer.  Plus, the way zscript works with drawing things under Layer 2, causes a problem, so I had to settle with this method.  It's alright though, I think people will get over it.  If I think it plays fine in game, it is pretty easy to see what is the ground level, that's all that matters.  ;)

#24 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:14 AM

You could always try transparent FFCs. :P

#25 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:19 AM

You could always try transparent FFCs. :P

That'd be pretty insane, honestly. There wouldn't be enough FFCs anyway, I think. :(

Also, while I'm here making a post, I might want to add that I think you misunderstood me, Shoelace. It's good to have different routes and making Heart Container Pieces more harder to find. However, I meant it's visually busy to look at, as there's so much going on that my mind is literally trying to decide what to look at first... In game, it will be a lot better since I can slowly, screen by screen, process the world. I have mad respect for what you've created and what your goal is, don't get me wrong, but it was just a matter of finding the most appealing map. And that isn't to say, I don't like your map. Well, I don't, because I love it. :P

But hey, I'm a sucker for stories too, so your game might blow my mind lol.

Edited by Shane, 05 November 2014 - 10:28 AM.

• nicklegends likes this

#26 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

Yeah that won't work though.  I am already using all of the layers.  lol.  The sky background is all Layer 3 then I click the use as bottom layer.  Plus, the way zscript works with drawing things under Layer 2, causes a problem, so I had to settle with this method.  It's alright though, I think people will get over it.  If I think it plays fine in game, it is pretty easy to see what is the ground level, that's all that matters.  ;)

Well then, you could try changing the colors, that are used in the background, itself (in the palette editor). It really will pay off. Here's a screen that I made, that has a sky background:

AirKingdomBetter_zpse3a990fb.png

This way, the background looks much more distant and it'll be easier to see what's going on. :)

Edited by Avataro, 05 November 2014 - 02:07 PM.

• Eddy and Jared like this

#27 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:32 PM

Well then, you could try changing the colors, that are used in the background, itself (in the palette editor). It really will pay off. Here's a screen that I made, that has a sky background:

True.  Problem is, I am like heavily using the whole palette.  If I lighten the greens, I can't use green in the area.  I use 10+ different colors for the surface, so it wouldn't work very well.  I really wish ZC had a few more palettes and tilespace.  Because since every tile is 8-bit and I am using 220 full tile pages, I can't afford to reboot.  I also just tried the white transparent, that didn't work at all.  It kinda killed colors. lol. 

What I did though, is I made the surface tiles a little lighter, but I couldn't go any lighter because of color uses.  Hope this looks better:

45_ne7qjr.png -> IIErYo7.png

• Shane and Jared like this

#28 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:20 AM

Which shop script are you using?

#29 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:53 AM

You could make the background tiles spawn tons off non defeat able, transparent enemies. :lol: It would work and there would be no hassle besides the sheer level of jerryriggedness. :lol:

-Strike
  • Shoelace likes this

#30 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:01 PM

EddyTheOliveira (1 votes [2.17%])
joelmacool12 (0 votes [0.00%])
Shoelace (32 votes [69.57%])
Anthus (4 votes [8.70%])

Shoelace wins Map of the Month 57! :D He'll face off against our other monthly winners in the Map of the Year tournament, due to begin early January.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shoelace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users