Photo

Map of the Month 4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 4 (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:52 AM

Welcome to Map of the Month 4

Hello guys! This MotM came a little earlier, because I'm leaving for ANOTHER vacation tomorrow.
I would have let Joe123 handle it, but I allready had enough submissions to make it. So I'm sorry if you didn't make it in time, for those who hasn't submitted yet, but hey, there's always another month... that is, if Planet X doesen't come early, like this MotM icon_biggrin.gif

Anywho, I've got 4 submissions this time around. It makes sence, doesen't it? MotM 4, with FOUR submissions!
So, without further ado, here we go:

CastChaos
jimmyb
Migokalle
Schwa

All good maps, right? I think so, but it's up to YOU to decide who you wanna vote for.
So, vote away folks!

By the way, MotM 5 MIGHT come later than it's supposed to, but only a few days. Nothing big... but hopefully, it won't.

Now, some people have asked me if I'm going to make an achive. Well, yes, I'm already doing it. I've made a MotM folder, containing folders named "1", "2" and so on, with maps from their respective numbers safely stored inside.
I'm not going to make an archive in the forums just yet, but if I where to do it, I woud probably do it in Screen 80, where I've got the power to lock and unlock it as I want, so no one else can post in between the months.
But that won't be yet anyways, as I'd want this to go on a little longer, before making one.
Let's make a checkpoint, shall we? When MotM reaches number 10, I will consider making one. Not before that though icon_wink.gif

Again, I must thank those who keeps contributing to MotM. These people alone are the ones making me able to host it, and I really enjoy doing it. Thank you very much!

Now... what are YOU waiting for? VOTE!

#2 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:38 AM

I'm Voting for Mai-go-kail!

CC: The ALTTP Design is fine, but I'm sick of the gimmicky clockwork stuff. Too much style clashing. Try to make the clock stuff match the style of the ALTTP dungeon tiles. It's really killing your map. It's too much like a wannabe shot.

jimmy: It's too straight and there's too much gray.

Migokalle: Beautiful! It's like Mr. Z and Radien joining forces to make a kick@ss map! Love it!

Schwa: Really nice Pure Screen. Nothing to complain but that Pirana Plant. Good Job!

#3 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:34 AM

I personally like CastChaos alot. TriMaster IS right about the "clashing styles", but I don't think it looks bad. Just different. I really enjoy that part where Link has to hookshot over gaps. :3
Aand I noticed a few errors in my map... but hey, it doesen't make it look bad... or, wait, it does xD
One of them is that half tree... Well, you can't really blame me, I made that map around 05:00 PM one night xD
I could have looked for errors better though... :/ Sorry.

#4 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:34 AM

CastChaos: Your map is creative and interesting. I really enjoy looking at it, the colors and layout are very pleasing to the eye. I can't wait to play this when Ballad Of A Bloodline is released! icon_wink.gif
9.5/10

JimmyB: I had truoble realizing that this was supposed to be the clock town from Majora's Mask. It seems like you were being a little lazy with the design, because you used tiles the way they weren't supposed to be used and stuff like that. Like the stairs, those stairs are plain ugly. With a little more work, this map COULD be amazing. It just doesn't look finished to me. 3.7/10

Migokalle: I like it a lot. It is interesting and fun. The colors are cool and it looks like a beach paradise. icon_wink.gif And I saw how instead of transitioning the ocean into a river, you kept the river suing the ocean tiles which I thought was VERY creative. This map is almost flawless, but then I saw there is one major problem with it. Towards the middle of the map looks very empty. Adding ground detail won't cover up for emptiness. I don't know how it will all turn out in ZC. But depite that, overall, you get nine points.
9/10

Schwa: It's really cool. Especially that man on the island at the bottom left corner. LOL! icon_xd.gif I love how everything flows into place. Way to go! (Cool Mario enemies. icon_wink.gif )
9.5/10

And the contestent who gets my vote is:

*drumroll*

CastChaos! Congratulations!

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:06 PM

Tough decision, but I'm going for Migo.

#6 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:04 PM

ASDF

I wish I knew that JULY 19th STARTED A NEW MONTH.

#7 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:28 PM

jimmyb:
The castle exterior thing is very interesting and I see some innovation, but the emptyness is too big at certain places and I don't like that the floor of the elevated castle part is the same as part of the ground.

Migokalle:
Nice. You somehow could put tiles that I don't like together in a way I like. Altough it seems too bright, I think this won't be the samely visible during gameplay. I like the water that goes deep in dry land.

Schwa:
Colourful and pleasant to eye. I really awe the upper left quarter.

Actually, I thought Schwa would steal most of the votes... O_O

TM001:
I looked through all the walls (default, custom, ripped, all I have) and this wall fits the theme the best. I thought the clockworks fit there very well. I still don't really know what do you mean by "gimmicky"... as far as I know, "gimmick" is a special theme in a dungeon, so it never can be bad if a dungeon is "gimmicky"... So I assume you say it's bad if a dungeon has a theme... Well, mine will have themes and gimmicks anyway. No more simple "temple" or "dungeon". Enough of them.

#8 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:08 PM

(to Moonwhisper) Well, he did say earlier that he was starting a bit early. This just goes to show you how important it is to not wait until the last few days; you never know what could happen. It's kind of like backing up your files on a regular basis. Never know what could happen, so it's best to get 'er done.

Aaaanyway, I, um, wow. I feel pretty bad that my awesome map is in third out of fourth place. I thought I'd crush the competition this time. icon_redface.gif

But you know, CC deserves to win this I think. Miggs's might look more eye-pleasing, but CC's map is so ultra complex that I sat there for 5 minutes taking it all in. icon_smile.gif In fact I even sent him a vote instead of nulling.

jimmyb's isn't that good, sorry. icon_confused.gif Not enough detail, and he used the tiles wrong.

Miggs's is awesome. It reminds me of Hope Island in my Quest. I'm especially fond of the trees.

As for mine, well, this is the best overworld quality I've ever displayed in PTUX, so next MotM I might stick to dungeons if I want to win. Although, recently I realized it's often more fun just to show off your maps in the FORM of a contest than it is to try and beat everyone in it. Who agrees?

#9 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jul 20 2008, 12:08 AM) View Post

I thought I'd crush the competition this time. icon_redface.gif

I thought that when I looked at your map, too, but oh not well...

QUOTE(Schwa)

Although, recently I realized it's often more fun just to show off your maps in the FORM of a contest than it is to try and beat everyone in it. Who agrees?

I don't hope to win on any voting based contests on PZC, I submit only for loyalty and support.

#10 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Jul 19 2008, 03:15 PM) View Post
I don't hope to win on any voting based contests on PZC, I submit only for loyalty and support.

Ah.

I take part mainly so I can say that I have. And 'cause it's fun to show off and get feedback.

So far the only PZC contest I've done remotely well on is the first SotW I entered. icon_sorry.gif

On an unrelated note, I think it's a little iffy for Miggs to be winning his own contest. icon_badrazz.gif

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Jul 19 2008, 03:15 PM) View Post

You're not the only one. Half of my SotW's submissions are put in just for comments, without any hope of winning. icon_biggrin.gif

#12 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

My SotW submissions are MOSTLY submitted with the intention of winning. Hey, I like winning. In this MotM though, I "submitted" it for the lack of maps.
But hey, I DID submit a good map, so I guess I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to win xD
It's human nature to want to win. I can't genuinely believe that all of you don't have the SLIGHTEST need of winning when you submit something to a contest. xD
But, yes, it IS fun to submit it just to see how much people like your work, as Schwa said.
Cause for me, feedback is what drives me...
icon_biggrin.gif

#13 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:29 PM

Castchaos - looks weird
jimmyb - looks weird
schwa - looks stale, I've done this many times before
Migokalle - DOOD, when is this fething quest going to be fething out?! I so fething want to fething play this fething quest! Give it to me! GIVE IT TO ME NOW!!!!! *votes* (BTW a tree is missing its left half on the left side of the river, just fyi)

Edited by DarkFlameWolf, 19 July 2008 - 07:31 PM.

#14 Solarrain4

Solarrain4

The Blurred Line In-Between

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:15 PM

Schwa - Not bad, but a little... meh.
jimmyb - Ehh... no. I don't mean to offend you in any way but I just can't vote for that. Too bland.
CastChaos - Looks like a challenging dungeon to me. Something's missing though... and I can't quite figure out what.
Migokalle - I swear, I've been seeing such great material from you lately. I'm voting for this, but just a tip: I dunno if you plan to use the flippers in your quest, but if you do, then you might want to fill up that empty space with something.

#15 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:58 PM

Thankies icon_biggrin.gif
Solarrain, that empty space will be filled up, yes. There'll be a small island there, actually icon_wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users