Contest

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:31 PM

Improve contest time? Improve contest time!

I have mulled over this idea in my head for a while, not entirely sure of if it's a good idea or not, but hey, I figured I'd just go for it and see how it goes! Since a lot of people are stuck home due to the corona virus spread and with little to do, I figure now might be a good time for something positive to keep things from getting too depressing! So I figured an improve contest might be the way to go!

Quick Summery:
1. Three Week Contest!
2. Starting time is Sunday 22th of March at 23:00 GMT+1 in the evening! (A notice will be posted when it officially starts!)
3. End time is Monday, April the 13th at 12:00 (noon) GMT+1.
4. One community voted winner of the contest!
5. One winner decided by judge(s) as well as special challenges entrants can try for!
6. Have fun!

Anyone can sign up at any point up until the contests deadline! (If you're working on something, it would be cool to know though, to properly judge judging workload!) Any tileset goes, any theme goes, any number of authors per submission goes (though I think most would prefer more entries rather than fewer! ;P), and most importantly: Any quest genre goes!

And while you can do whatever you want in your entry, there will be a short list of challenges authors can try and go for, these will provide some additional points to get ahead of the competition in regards to judging, but will not matter for the community voted winner, obviously. Furthermore, these can provide some general ideas on some things to try and do in your quest if you don't have any ideas or just want some extra ones! These challenges will be posted in the near future and will be avalible before development time start, so don't worry if you can't see them right now!

There are only three major rules for this contest:
1. Your quest must adhere to general PZC submission rules as well as code of conduct.
2. Your quest must be new, not an old project you have worked on before. (Using existing assets from the database or old projects are fine though, as long as they are assets and not an entire project).
3. Your entry must run in 2.53 (preferably), or newer. If newer, you're personally expected to provide the appropriate alpha/beta version of ZC that your quest runs on to ensure the proper experience.

Here are the bonus objectives, how much score they each offer, as well as general judge scoring info!
Spoiler

Sign-up is open now, who's on for some speedy quest making?

Edit: Avaro signed up as a second judge, woo!

Edited by Mani Kanina, 21 March 2020 - 03:05 PM.

• Anthus and Matthew like this

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:11 AM

Anything made in 2.55 or in 2.53.1, should target the latest builds available, not arbitrary, older builds.

#3 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:55 AM

The bonus objectives have been made, they have been edited into the first post in the thread, but I will also provide them here:

Each judge will give a score between 0 and 100 points, each objective here will give it's score listed times the number of judges.
Currently there is only one judge, but that might change of I end up recruiting another one or two, and to make sure the objectives remain relevant, they will each increase in value if that happens. Does that make things clear?

Here are first five objectives:

• None Violence (10 points): Your quest doesn't feature violence as a key gameplay feature.
  • Spring Time! (5 points): Your quest have a setting of spring (the season) or metal springs.
  • Title Drop (2 points): Have the quest title first appear at the most appropriate, or inappropriate, time in the quest for emotional effect!
  • Kamek the Cameo (5 points): Feature a cameo appearance of someone from the community that you look up to!
  • Corona (5 points): Feature a corona as a theme or feature, etc, in your quest. (For context: It's a sun thing)

The next set of five objectives are a bit different, only one person can win each one, sort of! (Some will give a smaller amount of points for runner ups though!):

• Easter Bunnies (15 points): Your quest has the most bunnies (Minimum 1) in it! I mean, you should have seen this one coming at this point...
  • Rivalry (15 points): Challenge another contestant (in this thread) to make a quest with the same concept as yourself, if you both agree on it and submit before the deadline, the entry of the two that gets the most judge points (before bonus objectives) will also win this objective! (Max one rival per entrant)
  • Throw TP (10 points): Feature the most unconventional/gag weapons/tools out of all entrants.
  • Shiny! (20 points): This one is awarded to the entry with the most completely new graphical and musical assets combined.
  • Mastermind (50 points): Avoid all other bonus objectives! (This one divides the points by the number of people that goes for it!)

Edited by Mani Kanina, 21 March 2020 - 11:34 AM.

#4 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:13 AM

I quite like these objectives. I can definitely see some interesting quests coming from this, should people choose to incorporate some of them.

Unsure whether I'll enter or not yet, but we shall see what happens. I hope there's a good turnout overall.

Edited by Buddy, 21 March 2020 - 11:13 AM.

• Mani Kanina and Avaro like this

#5 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 21 March 2020 - 03:01 PM

Avaro will be joining the contest as a second judge. They contacted me in DM wanting to judge, so, hey, why not?

For now I think we are good on judges, two should be plenty considering we'll also have a community voted winner, which often seems more interesting and engaging anyway! Another user has also signed up for the contest via DM, but hopefully we get more than one person who is interested in making a quest!

As a friendly reminder, the contest runs for three weeks, but you don't need to spend three weeks on a entry if you don't want to, any amount of time is fine, really! I know some people are more than capable of kicking out a banger in both two week contests as well as in less time! :P

• Avaro and Matthew like this

#6 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:36 PM

Contest starts now!

So far three people have signed up to me via DM, one team and one single person, so that's two entrants! Of course, submissions stay up for the duration of the contest, so anyone is free to sign up or submit whenever. To submit your entry, either post it in the thread or PM me it here on pure!

#7 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:29 AM

I was thinking of entering this contest, but I lack ideas. So, I'm going to hope other people submit entries. I look forward to seeing what people decide to make!

#8 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 03 April 2020 - 05:06 PM

An open question: Is anyone actually producing anything for this? I have been considering for a while to just announce the cancellation of the contest. When I initially made this I thought it might be a good time frame to have a contest but so far it has had a pretty cold reception, so far I currently only know of a single contestant working on something, and that does not make much point of a contest?

So, ergo, if anyone is actually interested in seeing this going it would be good if they announced it so, cause currently all signs post to a less than two entries even in the best case scenario (not everyone who starts something for a contest finishes, etc), and that's not really much of a contest. It's a little less than half of the contest duration left, so, you know. I mostly want to know so it's not up in the air for the full duration if no one actually cares.

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:06 PM

How much time will this contest require to complete entry judgement, and will there be a panel of judges, or community ranking?

I ask only so that 6th Contest ranking doesn't conflict, as we are getting ready to open the ranking to the public.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#10 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 April 2020 - 06:54 AM

JFYI, my entry should be done on time. It's something that, knowing me, is weird, and shouldn't be terribly unexpected.

I slated tonight and tomorrow to finish up the contest version, with bonus material (e.g. 2P modes, and GP variations) pushed back for post-contest. It will go live on GitHub just ere release, and is GPLv3.

Is anyone else submitting aught?

• ShadowTiger likes this

#11 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 11 April 2020 - 03:17 PM

How much time will this contest require to complete entry judgement,

No clue, it depends on how many entries there are and how quickly me and Avaro are at playing through them all. I don't expect very long, but who knows?

and will there be a panel of judges, or community ranking?

Both, as mentioned in the first post of this thread, there will both a judging selected winner as well as a community voted one.

I ask only so that 6th Contest ranking doesn't conflict, as we are getting ready to open the ranking to the public.

I don't foresee there being any conflict here, this contest have gained next to no traction so I doubt it would take any attention away from the 6th quest one. Either way, if it's a concern I can delay voting and stuff for this contest if the 6th opens up shortly.

All of these points are kind of moot though, since unless a lot of people have been working in the shadows, yours is the only entry that seems like it will actually meet the deadline.

Is anyone else submitting aught?

No else have submitted anything, and both individuals who contacted me over DM on discord to say they joined have dropped out, afaik you're the only one with an entry.

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 12 April 2020 - 07:58 AM

Entry: Pagan Invaders

Date Started: 29th March, 2020

Completed/Gamma 1: 12th April, 2020 at 15:05 GMT

GitHub Repo

Quest (v0.5.3; Gamma 1)

Requires: 2.55 Alpha 60 (or later)

License: GPLv3

• ShadowTiger and Mani Kanina like this

#13 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 13 April 2020 - 02:42 PM

Submissions are now closed, a fair few hours late even.

As it turns out, we only got one entry so.... ZoriaRPG wins by default. :o
I will take the time to play through the quest and offer my thoughts on it though, but there isn't much contest with only one entry.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#14 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 14 April 2020 - 06:15 AM

I will take the time to play through the quest and offer my thoughts on it though, but there isn't much contest with only one entry.

IDK how much time it will take unless you are very good at arcade shmups. Do post your high scores though.

As for the content points, I think that I have Cameo (I hope that people recognise it), Bunnies, Springtime (Nisan) and Shiny. All of the assets are original. In fact, unless that alt life gauge in Classic isn't original, it uses no infringing assets; and I designed everything other than the life gauge pieces.

I was going to have the bunny enemies drop egg bombs for 'Throw TP', but I had to cut that due to other constraints.

#15 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 18 April 2020 - 05:54 AM

Any word on this? is there anything that DQ's it?

I will note that I was hoping to be compared against other entries, but  as things stand, best to finish it off. I will likely publish a proper release of the game in the coming weeks, but as-is, I would like to know how if it passes muster.

Other than James and Rob, I have no clue if anyone has even tried it. Rob wants me to submit to to the PZC deatabase, but I am reluctant to do this in the face of the current political state of affairs. I'm unsure if people outside of my brethren will comprehend the message that it conveys.

I will note that whilst it is a complete game, there are aspects with it that I am as yet not satisfied.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Contest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users