590 replies to this topic

#16 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

Pokemonmaster64: you could always use linux. icon_deformed.gif

Is there a linux debugging console?

I have one potential suggestion for the debug console: make it kinda like the developer console in source. I dunno how practical that is (probably not very implementable either), but it allows for interesting ideas, I guess.

EDIT: a slight revision on my sound on linux comment: it appears MIDI doesn't work, but everything else does, which is an improvement because ZC's sound in general used to depend on MIDI being functional.
EDIT2: ...aaand after installing timidity, it all works perfectly.

Edited by Beefster, 26 February 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#17 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Feb 26 2012, 08:36 PM) View Post
Oh jeez. Now everybody's going to update their quests and I'm gonna get left behind...AGAIN. Assuming _L_ hasn't disappeared off the face of the planet, could you ask him to hurry up? icon_razz.gif

It's not that he hasn't been by lately, he just hasn't been very communicative. I really don't think he'll be too long.

QUOTE(judasrising @ Feb 26 2012, 08:48 PM) View Post

No difference between windowed and fullscreen , and i use the launcher , there is no allegro.log.

it just dont run at all , it crashes right after i try to run it trough the launcher.

Hm. The launcher should create ag.cfg, even if the game doesn't run. Do you have write permission in that directory? You may need to set the programs to run as administrator.

QUOTE(Beefster @ Feb 26 2012, 08:53 PM) View Post
Is there a linux debugging console?

Not at the moment. I haven't really looked into it, to be honest. I'll check it out.

QUOTE(Beefster @ Feb 26 2012, 08:53 PM) View Post
EDIT: a slight revision on my sound on linux comment: it appears MIDI doesn't work, but everything else does, which is an improvement because ZC's sound in general used to depend on MIDI being functional.

Have you tried running the game more than once? Not sure if it's still an issue, but I recall it used to not work on the first try. Like, it sets the value in ag.cfg the first time but doesn't use it until the second, or something like that.

#18 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

Zelda classic crashes on me when launched from zlaunch in 640x480 window mode on the Quest selection screen. I'm on Windows 7 and uses Aero.

#19 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE(Saffith @ Feb 26 2012, 05:45 PM) View Post

In ag.cfg, set zc_win_proc_fix to 0.

#20 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

Somehow the the new DrawLayer and DrawScreen functions do not work as they should. I am trying to use them to make a custom scrolling function. The DrawLayer produces some kind of garbled mixture from different screens even when drawn to an empty screen(i dont really know how this can happen). The DrawScreen- function does not seem to work with Game->GetCurMap() as map input to get a screen really from the current map i need to put Game->GetCurMap()-1 it seems(very weird). Also this function seems to have trouble when painting different screens. If i use 2 different screens from the same map it just paints 2 times the same screen for some reason. Am i doing something wrong? I should be using those functions according to the documentation. I really dont know what to do about this. Any suggestions solutions anything?

#21 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

Ok, didn't read the topic. I placed it in the zeldadx section and it works.

#22 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(Saffith @ Feb 26 2012, 06:58 PM) View Post
Have you tried running the game more than once? Not sure if it's still an issue, but I recall it used to not work on the first try. Like, it sets the value in ag.cfg the first time but doesn't use it until the second, or something like that.
I installed Timidity++ and it's all good now. icon_blah.gif I didn't really need MIDI up until now.

#23 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

This works with Windows 7 Aero now! No more reverting me back to the basic skin.

Halleluiah and hip-hooray! That bug/incompatibility really annoyed me in previous versions.

#24 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE(Saffith @ Feb 26 2012, 03:45 PM) View Post

Gleeok, should we maybe do that by default?

I'd rather find out what is causing it first though. How many people get a crash with win_proc = 1, and does anyone want to volunteer to test a fix for it?

QUOTE(aaa2 @ Feb 26 2012, 06:11 PM) View Post

Somehow the the new DrawLayer and DrawScreen functions do not work as they should. I am trying to use them to make a custom scrolling function. The DrawLayer produces some kind of garbled mixture from different screens even when drawn to an empty screen(i dont really know how this can happen). The DrawScreen- function does not seem to work with Game->GetCurMap() as map input to get a screen really from the current map i need to put Game->GetCurMap()-1 it seems(very weird). Also this function seems to have trouble when painting different screens. If i use 2 different screens from the same map it just paints 2 times the same screen for some reason. Am i doing something wrong? I should be using those functions according to the documentation. I really dont know what to do about this. Any suggestions solutions anything?

Can you post a simple test script that exhibits those behaviors?

..(I had forgotten that Game->*Map() functions use "wrong sanitized" values.) Fixed.

#25 blue_knight

blue_knight

Adept

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE(aaa2 @ Feb 26 2012, 06:11 PM) View Post

Ok here is what is going on from what I can tell:

DrawLayer() does work but it has a few issues. First off it doesn't appear to cull tiles outside the screen. In fact drawing tiles outside the screen seem to cause graphical issues. The next issue is that the coordinate space seems to be different then most drawing commands (works fine when drawing to bitmaps though). 0 = top of the screen instead of at the bottom of the subscreen and it seems to draw random tiles below the bottom of the screen. Finally transparent pixels draw "random" tiles instead of being transparent or a solid color.

DrawScreen() has similar issues but the map is offset by +1.

It appears the intended use was to draw 4 screens into a 512x512 bitmap and then use bitmap drawing to draw the "window" that you want to see on screen. This would actually be fine for me assuming the transparent pixels worked properly.

I haven't tested bitmap rotation yet, I'm hoping it works better. icon_smile.gif

Edited by blue_knight, 26 February 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#26 4matsy

4matsy

SHE WILL WAKE ONLY WITH THE POWER OF NO. 3 CHEESEFORCE

• Members

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE(Gleeok @ Feb 26 2012, 11:12 PM) View Post

I'd rather find out what is causing it first though. How many people get a crash with win_proc = 1, and does anyone want to volunteer to test a fix for it?

I do (get a crash), and I do (volunteer to test). icon_smile.gif

While we're on the subject of video mode snafus, though, it seems that the scanlines option is busted. icon_odd.gif Here's what I saw when I booted up RC3 for the first time with win_proc = 0 (I had the resolution at 640x480, color_depth = 8, and scanlines = 1 in the ag.cfg file): shot #1

...Yeah. I tried starting a game, and it's the same during play, too: shot #2

Though, if you hit ESC to activate the menu, it pops back to its original, un-scanlined (but still scaled up) form: shot #3

I tried testing a 960x720 window out of curiosity, and got similar results: it only displayed the top-left ninth of the screen. icon_razz.gif

This was on WinXP Home with Service Pack 3.

#27 blue_knight

blue_knight

Adept

• Members

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:52 AM

The rotation on DrawBitmap seems to work fine as does the increase in size (thank you for that). icon_smile.gif Is there any way to affect the pivot? Can you tell me how the pivot is computed given a destination position and size? Thanks.

I haven't tested rotation on DrawLayer() and DrawScreen() yet due to the other issues already mentioned. Is there a way of controlling how transparent pixels are treated for those functions?

Edit -
I should also mention that calling DrawLayer() has a much larger impact on performance then I would expect, at least when drawing into bitmaps. On the other hand DrawBitmap performance itself is great. icon_smile.gif

Here is my simple test:
CODE

Screen->SetRenderTarget( 6 );
{
    Screen->Rectangle(0, 0, 0, 512, 512, 0, 1.0, 0, 0, 0, true, 128);

Screen->DrawLayer(0, 14, 51, 0,   0,  0, 0, 128);
    Screen->DrawLayer(0, 14, 52, 0, 256,  0, 0, 128);
    Screen->DrawLayer(0, 14, 67, 0,   0, 176, 0, 128);
    Screen->DrawLayer(0, 14, 68, 0, 256, 176, 0, 128);
}
Screen->SetRenderTarget( -1 );

If I comment out the DrawLayer() commands but leave everything else as is the performance issue goes away completely. Or to be more technical, calling DrawLayer() 4 times is taking 64.5ms (unlocked framerate during testing, of course). Drawing those layers manually by calling DrawCombo will take a fraction of that time (probably around an order of magnitude difference). So I'm not sure what's going on there but I thought I'd bring it up. icon_confused.gif

Edited by blue_knight, 27 February 2012 - 02:42 AM.

#28 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE(4matsy @ Feb 26 2012, 09:21 PM) View Post

I do (get a crash), and I do (volunteer to test). icon_smile.gif
While we're on the subject of video mode snafus, though, it seems that the scanlines option is busted.

Blasted scanlines!! We forgot to test that. ( by we I mean me and the voices. icon_razz.gif )
-Fixed. Thanks.

QUOTE(blue_knight @ Feb 26 2012, 08:20 PM) View Post
DrawLayer() does work but it has a few issues. First off it doesn't appear to cull tiles outside the screen. In fact drawing tiles outside the screen seem to cause graphical issues. The next issue is that the coordinate space seems to be different then most drawing commands (works fine when drawing to bitmaps though). 0 = top of the screen instead of at the bottom of the subscreen and it seems to draw random tiles below the bottom of the screen. Finally transparent pixels draw "random" tiles instead of being transparent or a solid color.

DrawScreen() has similar issues but the map is offset by +1.

I see the problem now.

edit:
QUOTE(blue_knight @ Feb 26 2012, 08:20 PM) View Post

If I comment out the DrawLayer() commands but leave everything else as is the performance issue goes away completely. Or the be more technical, calling DrawLayer() 4 times is taking 64.5ms (unlocked framerate during testing, of course). Drawing those layers manually by calling DrawCombo will take a fraction of that time (probably around an order of magnitude difference). So I'm not sure what's going on there but I thought I'd bring it up. icon_confused.gif

I've just fixed this already. It was a typo :/ ..instead of drawing one tile it was drawing ( 1 << 8 ) tiles. Multiply that by 176 tiles. icon_eek.gif ! yuck. Sorry about that.

#29 blue_knight

blue_knight

Adept

• Members

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE(Gleeok @ Feb 26 2012, 11:37 PM) View Post

I see the problem now.
edit:
I've just fixed this already. It was a typo :/ ..instead of drawing one tile it was drawing ( 1 << 8 ) tiles. Multiply that by 176 tiles. icon_eek.gif ! yuck.
Well that explains a lot... including the transparent pixel issue. Will there be another build put up soon with the fixes? Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

#30 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE(blue_knight @ Feb 26 2012, 10:52 PM) View Post

The rotation on DrawBitmap seems to work fine as does the increase in size (thank you for that). icon_smile.gif Is there any way to affect the pivot? Can you tell me how the pivot is computed given a destination position and size? Thanks.

Does the RotatePointXY() do what you want?

QUOTE(blue_knight @ Feb 26 2012, 10:52 PM) View Post

Will there be another build put up soon with the fixes? Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

Not until the win_proc = 1 issue gets addressed. Maybe tomorrow, I don't know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users