• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

Surprise direct today. 

(If a mod could embed the video where I put the link that would be great. Can't seem to find a way to do that.)

I was kinda hoping when if we got another Hyrule Warriors port that some amiibo would come with it. But unfortunately not, just everything the 3DS version got over Wii U plus BotW Link and Zelda outfits.

Edited by David, 11 January 2018 - 01:22 PM.
Embedded the video. Just use the media tags and a Youtube video link. :)

#2 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

The World Ends With you? Neat. I kinda liked that game.

The Mario tennis looks okay so far. Story mode seems interesting but the normal main gameplay doesn't seem special or fun at all.

Tropical Freeze for switch? Aside from the soundtrack, I prefer Returns as a game. But sure, it's a great game.

Now the question I have is what advantages does DK have over Funky?

Nice stuff for a mini direct.

Edited by Avataro, 11 January 2018 - 04:37 PM.

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

Tropical Freeze was, in my opinion, the best game on Wii U so I'm glad it's being ported to Switch. I welcome Wii U ports because they can serve as gap-fillers while people who've never owned a Wii U can experience them as well, so to them, there's a bevy of new content to play. Great strategy, all in all. Still holding out for a Super Mario 3D World/Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker bundle on Switch...

And I'll be honest, even though I own Dark Souls on 360, I'm somewhat tempted to pick up the Switch remaster. It'd be another game for the library while I'd also have functioning controllers for them. My 360 controllers aren't in the best state.

#4 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:43 PM

Love how the video theme is using the NES hardware pallete (gray/dark gray/black/red).

Surprised how low poly the character models for Mario Tennis are.

Fe looks beautiful.

Edited by Cukeman, 12 January 2018 - 07:04 AM.

#5 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:55 PM

Now the question I have is what advantages does DK have over Funky?

I guess he's basically hard mode now? lol

Tropical Freeze was alright. Dunno if I'll be picking it up a second time, especially if they don't offer you full button controls (edit: I can't remember if this game had shaking to blow, or not), and I really want to be able to have the controls be the like the SNES games. I know that sounds whiny, but that's how I'm used to playing it. Making run, and roll different buttons is dumb, and I don't want that in mah DK :P. I know it offers two control styles, but they are both weird (why is grab it's own button now? All three, running, rolling, and carrying all worked fine on one button), and neither are like the SNES games. I can usually adapt to control schemes, but I have trouble with that in platformers, for some reason.

Them calling this a "mini Direct" is an interesting choice of words. I wouldn't be surprised if a lager event was around the corner. They also said that they are only showing a "few select" games. Calling it a mini direct may also mean they plan on doing more smaller ones, instead of fewer larger ones.

• Cukeman likes this

#6 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:58 PM

Tropical Freeze was, in my opinion, the best game on Wii U so I'm glad it's being ported to Switch. I welcome Wii U ports because they can serve as gap-fillers while people who've never owned a Wii U can experience them as well, so to them, there's a bevy of new content to play. Great strategy, all in all. Still holding out for a Super Mario 3D World/Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker bundle on Switch...

And I'll be honest, even though I own Dark Souls on 360, I'm somewhat tempted to pick up the Switch remaster. It'd be another game for the library while I'd also have functioning controllers for them. My 360 controllers aren't in the best state.

Meh. As a Wii U owner and a somewhat potential Switch buyer in the future, ports turn me off still. Why should I buy a Switch when a good chunk of everything they are offering is something I've already played on the Wii U or other consoles? If I do buy a Switch and it isn't deemed successful enough, they may jump ship again and port things on Switch 2 with additional content for a better price.

This is moreso how badly Koei Tecmo treated Wii U Hyrule Warriors buyers than Nintendo in general, but still. When the likely Smash 4, Mario Maker, etc. get ported with additional content and characters, I just feel bad for even supporting Nintendo during their Wii U era because I could've waited and gotten much a better deal by not supporting them.

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

To be fair, that isn't your fault or any other consumer who purchased a Wii U. There's really no way anyone could've been absolutely certain it'd flop. Have strong feelings perhaps, but no guarantees.

As far as Hyrule Warriors goes, I dunno, I don't see this as much different than "Game of the Year Edition" versions of games. The 3DS port did upset me because it had all the Wii U content plus more for half the cost, as well as coming in an inferior package. Bringing it to Switch in this ultra compilation pack doesn't bug me as much because it'll (presumably) be $60, same as Wii U base game, and again, this isn't that uncommon. It only feels like oversaturation because it's already been rereleased on 3DS, but at this point they're out of systems to port to. And believe me, like I said above, I was part of the crowd that felt ripped off at the 3DS port's existence.

#8 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:31 PM

As a Mini Direct, I was not expecting very much. More like brief overview of what is coming up in 2018 to tide the fans until the main direct is shown.

Meh. As a Wii U owner and a somewhat potential Switch buyer in the future, ports turn me off still. Why should I buy a Switch when a good chunk of everything they are offering is something I've already played on the Wii U or other consoles? If I do buy a Switch and it isn't deemed successful enough, they may jump ship again and port things on Switch 2 with additional content for a better price.

This is moreso how badly Koei Tecmo treated Wii U Hyrule Warriors buyers than Nintendo in general, but still. When the likely Smash 4, Mario Maker, etc. get ported with additional content and characters, I just feel bad for even supporting Nintendo during their Wii U era because I could've waited and gotten much a better deal by not supporting them.

Chalk it up to the Wii U's abysmal sales. With such a tiny install base, the big AAA-budget titles for the system didn't earn anywhere near as much money as they should because they did not sell in the raw numbers that they would have on a more successful system. Most of the ports, especially the ones to the 3DS, were made as attempts to recoup for the sales they lost because the Wii U flopped.

The ports to the Switch will accomplish the same thing as the 3DS ports, but also have the added functions of padding out the Switch during its dry spells and giving people who missed out on the Wii U a chance to play these games considering that the console is no longer being produced. It would suck missing out on the many good titles the Wii U had because you passed the console up.

• Neppy and Anthus like this

#9 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:08 AM

I too hope Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze gets support for the SNES control scheme (and for DKC: Returns to get the same treatment if it also ends up getting ported to the Switch). Tropical Freeze had you duck and press a button to breath, I don't think there was any motion control functions if you opted for the Pro controller since ya'know, Pro Controller doesn't have motion control support!

#10 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:40 AM

Wasn't the most exciting Direct. Just a bunch of ports for the most part.

#11 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

Fine by me.

TWEWY Switch version looks pretty neat. I've never played it before, after all.

#12 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

The system is like a Persona 5/Cuphead/Arkham announcement from making me sell all my other systems at this rate. I'm already actively looking to sell my Wii U and all its stuff with the Hyrule Warriors announcement.

#13 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:03 PM

Fine by me.

TWEWY Switch version looks pretty neat. I've never played it before, after all.

I missed out on it too. It looks like it would be a fun little distraction.

As far as selling your Wii U Shoshon, I wouldn't just because, if you get rid if it, and still get a Switch, and some games aren't ported, then you will miss out on those good Wii U games (all 7 of them) forever. :(

But don't listen to me, I impulse bought a Switch when Mario Odyssey came out. I just couldn't contain it. :P

#14 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

>Selling your Wii U
>When 3D World exists

Shoshon you fool.

Yes, Odyssey's probably better, but my guy... it's 3D World.

#15 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

I will be buying Hyrule Warriors for the third time! I barely played it on the Wii U, as the DLC maps kicked my ass a lot, they were meant for high leveled characters, and I had none. So I would say maybe 20-30 hours total. Now... on the 3DS version, I have 450 hours clocked in and loved it all. The additional content, and the nerfed maps from the Wii U game were all great, but the main thing I wished, was that I could enjoy it on the tv in HD. Now I get to play the whole game as one, just as I wanted!!

I'll also be buying DKC:TF for the first time, as I think I got my Wii U version from Club Nintendo's last bits of life. I had only played one world on it anyhow, so this is great for me! Looking forward to it.

TWEWY... never played it, but heard it was great. Looks like an interesting game for sure. Can't say that I'll jump on it right away or at all, but I'm certainly keeping an eye on it.

Ys VIII looks like something I would really enjoy, and I actually have a couple in my wishlist on Steam, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on this one, and will most likely get it. Does this mean I would have to play I-VII? :o

As for the rest, well... I already had Kirby preordered after it's announcement last year, so of course I'm getting it. I'm a bit curious about Mario Tennis Aces, but that's about it right now. SNK Heroines... eh... Fe looks pretty cool, so I may pick that up. Oh, and of course, Dark Souls... never played any of the Souls games, so I may have to pick that up and give it a try. All in all, I thought this was a pretty good Direct Mini. I'm happy!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users