Photo

Screenshot of the Week 772

xanadude Feenicks Huge Bedwetter Mitchfork Naldrag THEMDODO

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 772 (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 February 2023 - 05:03 AM

Feenicks
Feenicks.png
obligatory firebird tileset submission

Huge Bedwetter
Huge_Bedwetter.png
C'mon Cindy (oh my God)
C'mon Cindy (wait)
Don't you want to play with me? (Ah, yes, no, wait!)
Don't you want to play with me? (Yes!)
What's the matter with me, Cindy? (Nothing!)

Mitchfork
Mitchfork.png
Blu Terra

Naldrag
Naldrag.png
A familiar landscape...? What nightmares does this land hide?

THEMDODO
THEMDODO.png
Crimson eyes watch, close yet far.

xanadude
xanadude.png
May the moon light your path...

• Anthus and Matthew like this

#2 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 20 February 2023 - 10:36 AM

ok this is actually unfair, we get the first sotw in months, and every shot is using my favorite colors and tilesets. how do you expect me to pick any of these.

this is incredibly difficult but i think i'm gonna vote for huge bedwetter's shot. i live that blue and pink life and i think this shot is sort of a cross between using those two colors very well and giving off a "this game was original in black and white but now we're adding colors after the fact" vibe simultaneously.

• Taco Chopper and Matthew like this

#3 Naldrag

Naldrag

Certified Idiot

• Members

Posted 20 February 2023 - 10:47 AM

Gonna go ahead and say I voted for MITCH.  I like the overall vibe going on in his screenshot, Huge Bedwetter's is probably in a close second for me though.

• Taco Chopper likes this

#4 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 20 February 2023 - 11:54 AM

i voted for themdodo because i think crimson red dungeons are underrepresented

• Taco Chopper and ChrisHunter64 like this

#5 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 20 February 2023 - 01:26 PM

Feenick's submission is cool! Firebird is neat. I like the minty palette a lot, the elevation works pretty well. Ignoring a few generic Firebird complaints, the patch of ground just above the ladder looks odd to me, it took me a little to realize it wasn't just miscolored snow, I think because the color is still whiteish. This is me running my mouth and overthinking a screen that I'd like just fine if I saw it in a game because I feel like I have to say things.

Huby why the FUCK does this Waterfallia screen not have a waterfall, 0/10
Also the palette's not really doing it for me.

I have mixed feelings on Mitchfork's screen because it flagrantly and brazenly treats its mountains like Classic mountains. On the other hand the trippiness of it is pretty neat and the colors definitely work for it. I was deliberating for a long time between voting here and xanadude, and honestly part of my decision not to pick this one is because I kind of figure it'll win anyway?

Naldrag's screen is...I don't know, fine but not exciting. Hard to elaborate on this one, really!

THEMDODO's screen is too red. So so so red. Are you trying to invoke a game over screen on purpose? That's the only reason I can see for doing something like this, and even then Link is still traipsing around in bright green and throwing the illusion off. (And a full sized dungeon of that feels like it'd get old fast, although one that's only a few rooms might be okay.) For anything else, there needs to be more color contrast in the dungeon for this to work and not just look like you're wearing tinted glasses.

Xanadude's screen is absolutely gorgeous, I'm voting here. I love the double moons.

• Colin, Taco Chopper and THEMDODO like this

#6 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 20 February 2023 - 01:44 PM

I echo everything Ether said.

#7 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 20 February 2023 - 06:40 PM

Feenicks has good winter aesthetics and colours. Love the elevation and subtle ruins.

Huge Bedwetter and Mitchfork have some experimental stuff going on and I'm here for it. I really like Mitch's inverted colours and overgrown look.

Naldrag has a really nice nightmareish vibe to it so the caption does seem rather apt here.

THEMDODO's is very red, but it does look like it is more involved than the average Newfirst(?) dungeon screen, so I appreciate this. 

xanadude's is just gorgeous.

--

I voted for Mitchfork's experimental screen. I think it was a success.

• Taco Chopper and THEMDODO like this

#8 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 20 February 2023 - 07:46 PM

holy shit what a good week

i'm always a firebird fan, so feenicks' shot feels very comfy. nothing crazy, but nothing's lacking.

i love the pallete on Huge Bedwetter's submission. it's super psychedelic, and at the end of the day i love that shit. bold use of the mountains that works imo. i voted here.

same thing here for mitchfork's. a really interesting pairing of shots, but i prefer the palette and screen structure of huge bedwetter's shot a tad more. both are super tight though.

I love a good messed up world, and naldrag nailed that vibe here.

the crimson palette in themdodo's shot is really nice, but i think a really nice secondary color could compliment it well.

• Taco Chopper and THEMDODO like this

#9 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 20 February 2023 - 09:14 PM

I like the color palettes of these shots; they're very appealing.

mqdefault.jpg

Edited by Magi_Hero, 20 February 2023 - 09:14 PM.

#10 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 20 February 2023 - 11:36 PM

I think had I not entered I would have voted for Xanadude. While it's Cambria without too many frills, the palette and composition is really nice.

There's one thing about this shot that bugs me and it's the fact that the shadow layer is over the sky. I think you'd have to make some unique tiles to make this work, but it might be worth considering.

Hubydweyer forgot a waterfall and should be summarily executed by the ASUS Republic of Gamers.  Just my opinion but we're all entitled to one here.

I have mixed feelings on Mitchfork's screen because it flagrantly and brazenly treats its mountains like Classic mountains. On the other hand the trippiness of it is pretty neat and the colors definitely work for it. I was deliberating for a long time between voting here and xanadude, and honestly part of my decision not to pick this one is because I kind of figure it'll win anyway?

boy, don't you feel silly now

• Taco Chopper and Matthew like this

#11 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 21 February 2023 - 12:32 AM

Kinda silly.

#12 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 21 February 2023 - 08:24 AM

xanadude's shot has the transparent forest shadows it's literally impossible for it to lose sotw

• Taco Chopper, Sheik and xanadude like this

#13 FieryBirdyThing

FieryBirdyThing

Junior

• Members

Posted 21 February 2023 - 12:08 PM

I think had I not entered I would have voted for Xanadude. While it's Cambria without too many frills, the palette and composition is really nice.

There's one thing about this shot that bugs me and it's the fact that the shadow layer is over the sky. I think you'd have to make some unique tiles to make this work, but it might be worth considering.

Thank you for clarifying this. I had been trying to figure out what was actually going on in that part of the shot; I initially saw it as some kind of lake with a very clear reflection on it, before briefly wondering if it was the sky, and then flitting between the two. As a result, it played havoc with my sense of the scene's perspective, and not in a fun 'Escher' way.

To add some positivity to this post, I'll add that I voted for Feenicks. It's true that I don't know much about screenshot making and composition, but I like the wintery colour palette and the cute enemies.

I'm not sure what, if anything I can say about the others without fully revealing my aforementioned lack of screenshot-making/compositing skills.

#14 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators

Posted 06 March 2023 - 01:00 AM

With 43.75% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 772 is Xanadude!

xanadude.png
May the moon light your path...

Thanks to everyone who submitted for the first SotW of 2023, and to everyone who voted or gave feedback!

Voting totals:

• xanadude - 14 (43.75%)
  • Mitchfork - 8 (25%)
  • Huge Bedwetter - 5 (15.62%)
  • Feenicks - 2 (6.25%) 
  • THEMDODO - 2 (6.25%)
  • Naldrag - 1 (3.12%)

• Mitchfork likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xanadude, Feenicks, Huge Bedwetter, Mitchfork, Naldrag, THEMDODO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users