Yes, portable ZC is possible

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:52 AM

For that odd question that pops up every once in a while "Can you play ZC on a portable device", the answer is yes.

Got a GPD Win a month ago, was having fun seeing my computer games run on it, decided to give Zelda Classic a try. It runs at full framerate. The only problem I'm having is not being able to run fullscreen because of render issues, but lowering the desktop resolution helps.

To give perspective, the device is 5.5 inches.

Zquest also runs perfectly.

This post is just for fun, I don't recommend getting such a device for JUST Zelda Classic, obviously. 

0nLFYdo.jpg

Edited by Lemmy Koopa, 26 July 2017 - 12:54 AM.

• DarkDragon, Shane, Eddy and 3 others like this

#2 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:12 AM

What did people do before portable ZC?

• Shane, coolgamer012345 and Matthew like this

#3 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:42 AM

What did people do before portable ZC?

People tried to port it on a hacked PSP via DOSBOX, so that would mean on older version of ZC. They couldn't get the quests to load but the ZC program itself did run.

I guess if you can't port ZC to another OS or architecture, the next best thing is to port the OS it runs on to a handheld device itself.

• thepsynergist, Jenny and Matthew like this

#4 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:08 AM

Very cool, although there aren't many portable Windows devices to take advantage of this...

#5 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:14 AM

It should be able to work on the Switch via the REMx launcher.  I'm trying to get it to work right now, but my Win7 laptop is having issues detecting my JoyCons...  They run standard bluetooth, but my laptop is pretty old...

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:58 PM

I've mentioned this type of thing in the past. Nothing stops ZC from working on any i386 architecture system, but most portable devices use completely different hardware, to which the libraries cannot be compiled. You could run ZC on a mcro-i386 device running Linux, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users