Photo

2 things you Enjoy designing in ZC, and 2 things you don't.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Zagut

Zagut

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:14 AM

What are 2 of your favorite things to design in Zelda Classic, and what are 2 things you do not enjoy?

My favorites are Overworld and Dungeon design.

But i do not enjoy building Caves and Houses.

Edited by Zagut, 25 July 2017 - 10:15 AM.

• Matthew likes this

#2 TheRock

TheRock

Go glitches

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:26 AM

Puzzles and Dungeon stuff.

Bosses are a pain, other then that I can't say I dislike making anything else.

• Alucard648 likes this

#3 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

Since I pretty much only do the overworld before I abandon the project...

Favorite areas to design on the overworld: Forests and Ice Areas
Least favorite areas to design: Beaches and mountains. (I never feel like I can do anything creative with them.)
  • ShadowTiger, Jared, coolgamer012345 and 1 other like this

#4 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

For my 2 most favourite things, easily dungeons and probably overworlds. I feel like dungeons have so much potential for some awesome gameplay and ideas, and I generally love designing a variety of structures. Anywhere from prisons, temples or sky sanctuaries, down to just a cave-like theme. There's also great room for dungeon gimmicks which make each dungeon quite unique. As for overworlds, same can be said, but in addition I really like making everything connect up with each other for easy travel (even if my submitted quests don't show that lol)

My 2 least favourite things... probably interiors and coming up with new ideas for puzzles and bosses. As for interiors, caves and houses are quite hard to do since they're all kinda just the same, so it's hard to add variety at times and can look quite repetitive. As for coming up with new ideas, I seemed to have always gone for the red/blue blocks and block puzzles, but those are getting a little stale these days. As for bosses, people don't really like the standard Z1 bosses anymore and while I still think they are perfectly fine for a Z1-style quest, I don't really like using them much for other kinds of quest. Only problem is that I have no scripting knowledge, so custom bosses were quite hard for me lol. However, thank god for Moosh's Newbie Boss Script, that will definitely help so much with making bosses a bit more interesting.

• Shane and Matthew like this

#5 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

Favorite Things:

• Overworld and dungeon designing: Aesthetics aside, I love making stuff you can explore and make choices in.
  • Designing puzzles: I like designing mechanics and implementing them in feels rewarding.

Least Favorite Things:

• Conceptualizing bosses: Mainly because I'm not good at coming up with things like attacks.
  • Designing caves: They're kind of like dungeons but I don't want to use my good ideas on them nor leave them being boring.

• Eddy, Jared, Matthew and 1 other like this

#6 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:11 PM

Like:
Designing things with all the editors, and designing worlds.

Dislike:
Designing details.

#7 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:35 PM

What I enjoy most is coming up with new ideas and implementing them and I like dungeon design.

Things I enjoy less are designing things when I'm out of ideas and overworlds I guess.

#8 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

Like: Scripts! Innovative new features!

Dislike: Maps. Non scripted puzzles.

#9 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:30 PM

I enjoy bosses, dungeons and long walks on the beach!

I dislike house interiors, and cutscenes. Credits are also a drag, but thankfully you only have to do it once per quest.

#10 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

Enjoys:
  • Adding (often unnecessary) details to things.  A LOT of details. :eek:  Prettying up areas, adding "doodads" to tilesets, etc.
  • Designing individual dungeon rooms and then connecting them together somehow, and that feeling that "Hey, my random dungeon-making will actually work out somehow!" :D
  • Finding the perfect music for an area so it gets sufficiently moody while in that area.  I will scrutinize over this for many hours.
  • Dodongos
Dislikes:
  • Smoke.
  • The obligation to create an entire overworld so it feels like it isn't a perfectly linear journey from one dungeon or plot area to the next.  It's the "Filler" that kills me.  I feel like every single room needs something in it, or else I'll have effectively wasted a screen somehow.  I also hate having the player think "Well, every other room has some secret in it, so I don't believe that this one doesn't.  I will use every single bomb and magic point in my disposal to find it!!!"   Ugh.  Poor player.  :(
  • As much as I love conceptualizing bosses, they are WAY too much work to handle.  I don't script nearly as much as I want to, but I kind of have to in order to get what I want done.

• Anthus and Matthew like this

#11 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:46 PM

Enjoys:

• Adding (often unnecessary) details to things.  A LOT of details. :eek:  Prettying up areas, adding "doodads" to tilesets, etc.
  • Designing individual dungeon rooms and then connecting them together somehow, and that feeling that "Hey, my random dungeon-making will actually work out somehow!" :D
  • Finding the perfect music for an area so it gets sufficiently moody while in that area.  I will scrutinize over this for many hours.
  • Dodongos
Dislikes:
  • Smoke.
  • The obligation to create an entire overworld so it feels like it isn't a perfectly linear journey from one dungeon or plot area to the next.  It's the "Filler" that kills me.  I feel like every single room needs something in it, or else I'll have effectively wasted a screen somehow.  I also hate having the player think "Well, every other room has some secret in it, so I don't believe that this one doesn't.  I will use every single bomb and magic point in my disposal to find it!!!"   Ugh.  Poor player.  :(
  • As much as I love conceptualizing bosses, they are WAY too much work to handle.  I don't script nearly as much as I want to, but I kind of have to in order to get what I want done.

This is literally my list as well lol. For your first point, on adding little details, and doodads, I often over do it, and end up with a really disorganized project, and usually drop it cause the palette turns into a nightmare.

But to add a bit, let's see:

• Making screens. Dungeons in particular. I like making shapes, really. And making them all fit together in a cohesive, and hopefully fun to navigate kind of way.
  • I like designing overworlds too, but I tend to lose focus here. I'm trying to break out of the "must be an 8x16 grid" mentality that has stifled me for years.
  • Making graphics. I'm not very good at it, and the vast majority of my "good" stuff is just edits, but this was the only way to give your quest that extra something before the advent of scripting.
  • Coming up with a story (gasp!). Yeah, they guy who talks the most shit about not caring about stories in ZC... actually really likes making stories in ZC. See why I never finish anything? :P

Dislikes:

• Scripts. Don't murder me, hear me out. I don't like asking for scripts, or help with them. I also don't like feeling like I have to have them to be noticed in today's ZC climate.
  • Bosses. Yeah, these are fun to conceptualize, but good luck getting it to work unless your a scripting God, or can get one to help you. :P
  • People whining about perspective. Not really a design aspect, but it irks me. If you can tell what's going on, who cares? The main 2D Zelda's are riddled with it, but they are loved.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#12 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:15 AM

Oh right. I also dislike choosing music.

But that's mainly cause I am way too picky.
  • ShadowTiger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users