Photo

Screenshot of the Week 149

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 149 (44 member(s) have cast votes)

5 shots to choose from this week!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:25 AM

Alrighty, sorry I am posting this a day late, but I forgot to mention that I wouldn't be home yesterday, and I was gonna do it tonight. Well, here we are with the 149th edition of SotW!!!

rocksfan13
IPB Image
That lever looks very suspicious.

Nuvo
IPB Image
At ancient crossroads, a rainbow of jewel-eyes attack Link... they don't stand a chance.

Lotus Eater
IPB Image
Dude, is that a giant bunny?

Evan the great
IPB Image
Link makes his way through Misty Mountain on his way to the Ice Temple.

DarkFlameWolf
IPB Image
Climbing down the stairs...

#2 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:39 AM

I voted for Lotus Eater. That's a really nice-looking desert shot, and that SD3 sand actually looks good with the proper colors and contrast, unlike how I'm used to seeing it in most ZC tilesets.

#3 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:49 AM

DarkFlameWolf is my choice for this week. It is yet another functional and beautiful screen that does well mixing elevations with something that looks very natural down to every detail.

Now for the other screens:

rocksfan13 - Makes for a nice interior shot that uses multiple features without sacrificing talent of design.

Nuvo - I like the grass, but I don't feel right about that choice of trees. They seem kind of disproportional to me (very bottom heavy).

Lotus Eater - Beautiful desert screen and nice looking sprites. Easily my second favorite.

Evan the great - Such a screen would be fine in most quests. The detail is fine, but not as advanced as some of the other screens.

#4 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:12 AM

rocksfan13 - Not a very exciting layout here, but for the action the shot gets a thumbs up from me. icon_wink.gif

Nuvo - Hmm.. this screen is a bit LttP-ish meaning it is kind of empty... that doesn't necessarily mean it's not good but I kind of agree with Nate about the trees. But overall it is a nice shot.

Lotus Eater - It's not easy to make good looking desert shots but this one looks quite pretty. The colors are perfect and tiles look fine, but it is a quite simple shot for my taste. To me it looks more of a graphics show off screen than a good solid and well constructed screenie. However, the SD3 set is so fantastic that i just have to love anyone who is building a quest with it. icon_smile.gif

Evan the great - Something's not quite right in this shot... can't quite figure out what it is.. maybe it is that it doesn't look very natural to me, and there could be a bit more detail as well. But overall it is an ok shot and would fit well in most quests.

Wolfie - Well it's not the prettiest shot possible (and the rain kind of ruins it because it blocks so much icon_razz.gif ), but I don't really know how to make this shot any better either. It's so well designed and well put together that there's really nothing I'd change about the shot. And maybe people do not notice but Link is actually really CLIMBING down the ladder, not walking. icon_wink.gif

Overall this is a good week again.

Nulled.

#5 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:14 AM

I entered, therefore I nulled.

rocksfan13 - Pretty clever design, looks rather busy though.

Nuvo - I love that subscreen icon_wow.gif However not a huge fan of the rest of the screen, it seems rather plain.

Evan - The snow seems backwards, like the path should be bare and the rest should be snow covered.

DFW - A good screen, except the rain, I hate the rain, did you try making it transparent so it was less harsh. Otherwise use a different rain style, it looks like it controls the screen rather than adding to it.

Oh and Petoe, I am updating the SD3 set, not just building with it.

Later,
Lotus

Edited by Lotus Eater, 19 December 2006 - 05:09 PM.

#6 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:39 PM

And maybe people do not notice but Link is actually really CLIMBING down the stairs, not walking. icon_wink.gif

You don't climb stairs. You climb ladders. Just wanted to point that out. I've yet to see someone climb down a stair... icon_razz.gif

I'll add comments later...

#7 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 19 December 2006 - 05:23 PM

Okay, I am aware that my shot is bland, I regret sending it in because the next day, I had some inspiration and drew a bunch of new tiles.
You will see a lot better submission next time, for I already have it done.

As for my trees, I like them. They were my first good custom tiles I ever drew.

By the way, I'm nulling, most of the shots either have custom graphics but just don't seem apealing, or they are pure shots. I also can't justify voting for myself, I don't know why.

Edited by Nuvo, 19 December 2006 - 05:28 PM.

#8 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:57 PM

Lotus Eater is using the best looking graphics, but DFW's shot has the best design so she gets my vote. The others weren't bad, but not great either.

#9 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:08 PM

Wow, very very hard choice this week... took me a while to decide...

rocks: Looks fun to play, but not fun to look at. Nothing that really grabs my attention.

Nuvo: I really like the idea behind this shot. Awesome palette, the SD3 grass looks nice... however those trees don't. The huge clash between the grass and the trees, and the "flat" layout ruined it for me.

Lotus: I really have problems with shots like these. Pretty much all it has going for it is graphics, and they're ripped and used incorrectly anyway. See where the top mountain tiles connect to the tiles beneath them? Me neither! Lose points for mismatched tiles, and the boring "zelda style" mountain layout. If you pay attention, SD3 mountains are broken apart and have different levels and are structured in a more realistic fashion. There's no "flat cliffside" like Zelda. If you're gunna use those tiles, use them how they're meant to be used.

Evan: When I first looked at this shot I was impressed, but as I looked closer I became less and less so. Having the snow ONLY in the middle of the path looks a bit odd, and the skull rock, the tornado trees... just don't meld.

DFW: Lovely. Not much to fault with this shot apart from the old graphics, but I understand you need to be consistent so thats ok. Nice palette, nice layout... that block looks menacing though... you win my vote! *votes*

#10 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:10 PM

You know Lotus your main character from your quest reminds me of Zelos from Tales of Symphonia

#11 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:17 PM

Reminds me of Hawk from SD3.

#12 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:33 PM

It is Hawk from SD3, so imagine that icon_smile.gif
Anyways, I hate those mountain tiles, that's why I am replacing them. The problem with most SD3 graphic is that they are designed to be used in ways that make them way to complex for Zelda Classic. Which is I have been replacing them fairly steadily, I am just trying to maintain the feel of the graphics (Which is why I used your mountain tiles actually) Anyways, thanks for the tips.

Later,
Lotus

#13 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:54 PM

I can see why people like Lotus Eater's, but I don't see what's so special about DFW's. icon_shrug.gif It's almost entirely Pure tiles, used about the same as they always are, and the rain tiles are so dark that they contrast badly with the lighter ground tiles. DFW can do better than this, and has done so many times in the past.

Anyway, it looks like I'm in a minority here, but I voted for Nuvo. I don't like the square tiles showing from beneath the grass, but the rest of the screen has some pretty good design and there's plenty going on in the scene.

Lotus Eater's is very good, except that once again there's almost nothing happening on screen. The rest of them are all pretty lackluster and don't do anything terribly creative with the tiles and combos they are using.

#14 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:24 PM

23 Votes and a handful of comments, why do people vote and not at least mention why? I've always wondered that.

As a curiosity Radien what would want to be happening on the screen? I mean what could I have done to make it better.

#15 Moldorm

Moldorm

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:05 AM

Lotus Eater gets my vote.

And YAY!!! 500 posts!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users