Why was the first-Zelda so perfect?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OUCH!

OUCH!

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 23 September 2021 - 12:45 AM

I don't know of a top-view 2D action RPG that is more interesting than the first-Zelda and its derivative Zelda-Classic :rolleyes:

Because

・too easy game :sweat:

・Progress on rails :sigh:

・Complex status :wacky:

・Troublesome craft :aggravated:

・Rough roguelike :glare:

It ’s just like this :whap:

Why does this genre continue to deteriorate? :eek:

• James24, ChrisHunter64 and Bagu like this

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 23 September 2021 - 01:53 AM

There was nothing else out there like the first Zelda. It might seem dated now, but it was truly a new thing when it came out. A lot of the more criticized "cryptic" things were more or less so you didn't beat the game in a weekend. I wouldn't call Z1 perfect, but the fact that we're still here now says a lot to its impact.

• Nathaniel, Twilight Knight, ChrisHunter64 and 1 other like this

#3 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 23 September 2021 - 03:01 AM

The saving feature was unique. Other console games used Passwords or didn't even offer saving options.
The number of useable sprited item classes (built-in Player&Enemy Weapons) is still a thing, that makes it hard for other adventures, to compare with the Zelda series.

The atmosphere of the first game was so fascinating.
And Nintendo has always been so smart, to publish very beautiful illustrations of the characters, monsters, items and areas
(in manuals, club nintendo magazines etc.).
So, the pixel graphics became alive, in the players mind and the player could imagine, how all those sprites shall look in "Lifesize".

Zelda was a signpost for every later adventure game.
Nintendo also seemed to know, how unique this masterpiece had been.
...and so they've chosen the golden design for the modul cassette.

Edited by Bagu, 23 September 2021 - 03:26 AM.

• Anthus, Twilight Knight, sutibu and 1 other like this

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 23 September 2021 - 05:39 AM

It's curious that there aren't any games quite like Zelda 1. A few examples from back in the day spring to mind such as Neutopia, but they all fall short in one way or another. I can never see a game like it reaching success today, but it's more for the copy-paste NES design and guesswork puzzles. Zelda 3 seems to have more of the design that's carried over to the modern day, and if I could see more like that but with a greater focus on difficulty and boss fights I think I'd quite enjoy it. A lot of Zelda-likes put too much focus on the puzzle elements.

• Twilight Knight, Bagu and Twilight Hero like this

#5 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Polm The Fathomless (Slime)

• Members

Posted 23 September 2021 - 07:37 AM

[Edit] My obtrusive sayings for OUCH! are edited or deleted.

Well...do you say Zelda1 so perfect? I think now it's far from perfect at least for you, you increase difficulty too much from it. The difficulty of Z1 isn't high as a Family Computer(Japanese NES) game, it's middle or a little below the middle for FC. Even the second quest is a little above the middle.

Edited by DarkFlameSheep, 12 January 2022 - 11:05 AM.

• Rambly, Anthus, Twilight Knight and 1 other like this

#6 Hari

Hari

Snivy Gang

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 23 September 2021 - 06:01 PM

z1 sucks

• Rambly and Mani Kanina like this

#7 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 23 September 2021 - 07:43 PM

Conversely, if Zelda 1 was so perfect, why are there no other games like it?

But that's kind of a simplistic way of looking at things. There are plenty of games that exists today, some old, some fairly recent, that owe part of the legacies to Zelda 1. All taking the concept into different directions, often discarding what the designers find bad while expanding upon things they like. Which is, also what you have done in your own quests, come to think of it.

And despite this engine being built upon the foundation of Zelda 1, very few quests actually wants to properly recreate that. And fundamentally, it's impossible to completely re-create Zelda 1, part of it's design was that it would be played communally, secrets would be shared among people who played it. That type of situation is almost impossible to recreate in today's environments.

But if you want to play what I consider the absolute closets thing that exists in the quest database in regards to replicating Zelda 1, then you can find that here: Antiquity.

On a related note, I do find it extremely funny to claim that the genre have deteriorated however, just because a lot of games don't happen to specifically cater to your own niche. But then, when was the last time you went out of your way to roam the web to find something that did? There are plenty of niche games on itch.io, etc.

• DarkFlameSheep and sutibu like this

#8 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

• Members

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:37 PM

As for them

・Too easy game: Difficulties of many popular or famous ZC quests are set between the first quest of Z1 and second quest.   

・Progress on rails: Many quests are needed to clear the main dungeons in order good or bad.

・Complex status: In most quests bad statuses aren’t seen except for Bubble enemies’ curses. 

・Troublesome craft: It depends on the players. Also, in Z1 they waste time to find Heart Containers without information from outside of the game, too.

・Rough roguelike: I played only Yuurand as a rogue-like quest, I can’t say anything about this.

Edited by DarkFlameSheep, 12 January 2022 - 11:08 AM.

• Rambly and Bagu like this

#9 OUCH!

OUCH!

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:31 AM

Since the first Zelda was so perfect, does it look like a bad thing no matter where creator change it? :blink:

Even so, I think that many works are too focused on puzzles. :sweat:

I think "side"-view 2D action RPG has released more interesting works :rolleyes:

Is this because Zelda2 wasn't perfect? :eek:

Edited by OUCH!, 24 September 2021 - 07:32 AM.

#10 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 24 September 2021 - 08:44 AM

Since the first Zelda was so perfect, does it look like a bad thing no matter where creator change it? :blink:

I think "side"-view 2D action RPG has released more interesting works :rolleyes:

Is this because Zelda2 wasn't perfect? :eek:

You know, if you just wanted to be james threads 2.0 and not actually engage with any of the replies, you could have said so at the top so I could have peaced out and not bothered. But noted for the future I guess.

#11 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

• Members

Posted 24 September 2021 - 09:42 AM

[Edit] My obtrusive sayings for OUCH! are deleted.

I have seen you in a Japanese forum, but I saw you enjoyed playing only Unofficial Third Quest and Dreams of Yesterdays.

Edited by DarkFlameSheep, 12 January 2022 - 11:09 AM.

#12 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 24 September 2021 - 01:44 PM

Edited by Rambly, 17 December 2023 - 11:56 AM.

• Mani Kanina and Bagu like this

#13 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

• Members

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:42 PM

This topic should be "Why WAS the first-Zelda so perfect?", I think OUCH! can no longer enjoy playing Z1 now if he play.

Edited by DarkFlameSheep, 12 January 2022 - 11:12 AM.

#14 OUCH!

OUCH!

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 24 September 2021 - 08:25 PM

ジェームズスレッド2.0になりたいだけで、実際にはどの返信にも関与したくない場合は、一番上でそう言って、私が落ち着いて気にしないようにすることができたはずです。しかし、将来のために注目されていると思います。

I'm communicating with DarkFlameSheep on a Japanese forum, so I didn't think I needed to answer here in English. :toast:

Edited by OUCH!, 24 September 2021 - 08:26 PM.

#15 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

• Members

Posted 24 September 2021 - 10:02 PM

I'm communicating with DarkFlameSheep on a Japanese forum, so I didn't think I needed to answer here in English. :toast:

But you started this topic here in a English forum, we basically need to write things in English here. And you seem to want to show your opinions for people here, not only me.

Edited by DarkFlameSheep, 26 September 2021 - 11:06 AM.

• Twilight Knight likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users