Pokemon Go

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:39 PM

I'm surprised there isn't a thread for this. Lots of people I work with have it, and are playing it. I can't download it on my toaster phone until I get a bigger SD card, but I was wondering if anyone has played around with it yet? It looks pretty neat, and I can see it raking in tons of dosh for the big N in micro-transactions.

I've been out of the loop for a while now on Pokemon (last game I bought was HeartGold, and I guess I also have Black?). This seems like a fun, and more casual approach..

#2 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:45 PM

I have never heard of it before. Does Nintendo make games for phones these days?

#3 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:16 PM

I'd rather play any of the main Pokemon games, but if people are enjoying it... okay, I guess

Edited by Cukeman, 10 July 2016 - 03:21 PM.

• Mani Kanina and Avaro like this

#4 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:02 AM

From what I know about the game it seems to be a rather mediocre game that misses quite a few features that I'd expect out of a pokemon game.

#5 WhippyBoi

WhippyBoi

You don't belong in this world

• Members

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:16 AM

I actually saw somebody randomly walking around a Target parking lot who was playing Pokemon Go. He was bumping into shit all over the place. Plus, he had his phone *this* close to his face.

As for me, I started playing it a couple of days ago but I'm not really that interested.

Edited by Lucas, 10 July 2016 - 04:17 AM.

#6 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:59 AM

So, is this just randomly catching Pokemon, or are there any actual battle mechanics like the regular games? I'd probably download this and play it all the time, if I was actually battling and leveling the ones I had caught like in the normal games. If it's just waiting for the phone to vibrate and tell me there's a critter nearby, and then catching it by flicking the ball at it, I think I'll pass. So far, all I've seen of the game are Snapchat-style pictures with Pokemon in them.

#7 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:26 AM

I've already answered a call about a kid that wandered into the bad part of town and had his iPhone jacked because of this game.  Dunno if a Vaporeon was worth it though.  I hope he gets it back but phones like that tend to have low turnaround rates...

#8 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

So, is this just randomly catching Pokemon, or are there any actual battle mechanics like the regular games? I'd probably download this and play it all the time, if I was actually battling and leveling the ones I had caught like in the normal games. If it's just waiting for the phone to vibrate and tell me there's a critter nearby, and then catching it by flicking the ball at it, I think I'll pass. So far, all I've seen of the game are Snapchat-style pictures with Pokemon in them.

More towards the latter. Kind of a shame since even Pokemon Shuffle has gotten quite in-depth but Pokemon Go is so basic. There are gyms too, but from what I understand you basically just tap the opposing Pokemon and you win if you have higher attack.

Anyhow, I haven't actually played it, but I've seen videos of it on Youtube and it looks underwhelming.

Most of the info should be covered here as well: http://www.serebii.net/pokemongo/

• Koh likes this

#9 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:47 PM

I've already answered a call about a kid that wandered into the bad part of town and had his iPhone jacked because of this game. Dunno if a Vaporeon was worth it though. I hope he gets it back but phones like that tend to have low turnaround rates...

That's pretty messed up, but I can't help but find it a little funny. What if it tries to tell you to enter private property, or something? That shiny Pidgey only appears in opposite sex restrooms.

What I'm wondering is are the Pokémon that appear random, or does it actually differentiate between different locations like cities, forests, or lakes? Also, I wonder why it doesn't work on phones with Intel CPUs...
  • thepsynergist likes this

#10 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

I don't really mind it being so basic. I mean, I'm not really looking for or wanting a mobile game to be deep and that intensive. What is cool about it is the social aspect, in that most of my co-workers and customers are playing it, and that it gives me another reason to explore around here. That when I'm walking around, I see kids and adults alike getting joy just walking around to find Pokemon. At the end of the day, I think that's what's most important. It's getting people out and about, and hell, it's actually supporting small businesses, since people are visiting them in droves to play the game. I only wish I had more time to walk around, but my route to work is long enough as is.

Let's face it guys, three things are bringing Nintendo back up:
-an online shooter
-a mobile game
-a big open world AAA game
  • Shane and David like this

#11 RetroChallengeGamer

RetroChallengeGamer

Challenge LP'r

• Members

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:32 AM

I'm enjoying it for what it's worth. I play casually and am at level 10 and have quite a few Pokemon in the 600-800 ranges. I'm still not able to fight gyms with Pokemon in the crazy 1000-3000 ranges. F that noise. No idea how people got that far in only a week without sinking money into the game. I'm playing it free and I've been doing fairly well capturing a lot of Pokemon. I'm also smart about it too: No driving and playing. Always stop when the game alerts you to a Pokemon, look around you for safety before trying to spend seconds to catch it, then begin moving once you've caught it. Lots of idiots out there doing dangerous things while playing this app.

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:15 PM

Yeah, people are being pretty dumb with it. Like, playing while they're driving, or walking around paying no attention whatsoever to the real world around them.

People have bumped into stuff at the store I work at. Can't they hear Oak's words echoing? "This isn't the time or place for that, Ash."
  • Avaro, coolgamer012345 and KingPridenia like this

#13 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:43 PM

I got a new phone that can actually run Go now, so I tinkered around with a bit last night. Two Pokestops in my neighborhood makes it pretty convenient. Walked around a bit at night, got a few Pokemon, came back, and found an Electabuzz in my garage. That was pretty exciting.

I think my favorite thing so far is just finding what real world locations are marked in the game. For example, the nearest gym to my house is the Mormon church. A gym so secretive, members aren't even allowed inside. :P
  • Anthus likes this

#14 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

I saw some gameplay of it myself, and I also find it to look like standard, shallow mobile game with a Pokemon skin. If anything, it makes me want to play HeartGold again, so there's that.

#15 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:32 PM

I really do wish my brick of a phone could play it. I wouldn't call it shallow, it's a really cool concept, but from what I've heard and seen, I do wish the battle mechanics were more fleshed out.

Edit: Wow.. this is kinda messed up, but damn.
https://www.google.c...mericamovil-us#

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users