• Please log in to reply
7943 replies to this topic

#7666 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:08 PM

9k2xrpc.png

Looks amazing. Shame the statues don't blend with the rest of the screen (more angular LTTP design and dark outlines).

This is  a little map i am working on.

https://imgur.com/8U24iTe  >> What do you think?

I quite like the overall layout but there are a few issues:

1. The topography (i.e. cliff heights) is really inconsistent. It appears to be an island fully surrounded by sea (which would be a flat plane) yet there's large waterfalls running from top to bottom (implying the top of the map is higher than the bottom). This is impossible, geographically.
  2. You're using "detail" ground tiles as "base" tiles (e.g. the flowers in the bottom left and the four-way grass tile on most of the map). You should primarily have flat green with only splashes of detail.
  3. The transparent water in the centre of the map just looks bizarre.

#7667 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 April 2018 - 04:40 AM

aQj2GBG.png Dssyyrt.png

Another area is done. :) Working on another now.

• Eddy, Sheik, strike and 2 others like this

#7668 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 April 2018 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll stick with the current treestump graphics for the time being I think, though. It does look a little off, granted.

@Shane: nice screens, looking good.

• Cukeman likes this

#7669 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:15 AM

LTOeCO1.png

Overworld is over half way done and should be done in a few days. :) Setting up enemies soon too.

That quarter-tile overlap is interesing. Very unconventional. Never would've entered my mind.

• Matthew likes this

#7670 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:28 PM

Another area is done. :) Working on another now.

I like what youve done with the palette here, if its a custom one. The nice, light greens and blues make the screens look really nice. The layout is good too. If I were to question anything, why are the lily-pads the color that they are? They look like theyre colored like objects under the water, instead of the green that I would normally expect. Otherwise, nice work!

So most of the threads to place videos in are either dead or do not get much attention, so I thought that I would throw this in here. This is a small video for some of the content for my Z1 remake. Id be curious to hear your opinions on how Ive done and what I could maybe do better. This shows off Level 1, The Eagle:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Hf0GmCyoY1k

• Shane, Sheik and Jared like this

#7671 sutibu

sutibu

Initiate

• Members

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:30 PM

I like what youve done with the palette here, if its a custom one. The nice, light greens and blues make the screens look really nice. The layout is good too. If I were to question anything, why are the lily-pads the color that they are? They look like theyre colored like objects under the water, instead of the green that I would normally expect. Otherwise, nice work!

So most of the threads to place videos in are either dead or do not get much attention, so I thought that I would throw this in here. This is a small video for some of the content for my Z1 remake. Id be curious to hear your opinions on how Ive done and what I could maybe do better. This shows off Level 1, The Eagle:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Hf0GmCyoY1k

I love this! Your overworld is fantastic. I love how you've managed to create a modern update to the overworld while still keeping it simplistic and recognizable. By far my favorite Z1 remake is "Origin" by Darkflamewolf. Her version created a unique and original spin where the overworld was new but somehow familiar. I like that too. What I like about yours though is that it truly feels like Zelda 1.

Just a couple small critiques.

1.) While your overworld is fresh, by contrast your dungeon is maybe too true to the original. It felt like you were warped into a normal BS Zelda 1 quest from the overworld. I'm not sure what you could do to detail it up a bit more without overdoing it. One thing is that the overworld feels "big" in a sense with the large trees, but the dungeon does not. Maybe some statues or large bricks? I'm not sure.

2.) Item placement choice. I'm not sure where the boomerang is acquired, but already offering the magic boomerang in Level 1 might be too soon. I know in the original it was one level later but offering an upgraded weapon in Level 1 feels a bit rushed.

3.) Aquamentus boss. I know you're in early development. The boss has a cool feel and unique spin, but it looks maybe a bit too easy, even for Level 1. I can't say for sure without playing it myself, but I feel like you could spam the arrows and take him down real quick. Perhaps a more rapid release of its fireballs could up it a bit.

4.) Music. Again, things probably aren't set yet so take what you will from it. The overworld music is really pretty and detailed. While I'd prefer the traditional Z1 overworld music (an updated version / orchestrated version etc.) the music works but you have the standard Z1 dungeon music going and the quality is lower. I assume this will change though but something I thought I'd point out.

These are really small details though as so far it looks absolutely fantastic. I think one difficulty though with making a Z1 remake / remix / new version is that people have a lot of expectations as well as varying expectations to what it should be (should it stray, should it stay loyal etc.), and I think even my small critiques reflect some of that. But, with that being said, this is your project and enjoy interpreting it with your vision. I'm looking forward to playing the final product one day :)

スティーブ

• Octorockoncrack and Jared like this

#7672 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:28 AM

I love this! Your overworld is fantastic. I love how you've managed to create a modern update to the overworld while still keeping it simplistic and recognizable. By far my favorite Z1 remake is "Origin" by Darkflamewolf. Her version created a unique and original spin where the overworld was new but somehow familiar. I like that too. What I like about yours though is that it truly feels like Zelda 1.

Just a couple small critiques.

1.) While your overworld is fresh, by contrast your dungeon is maybe too true to the original. It felt like you were warped into a normal BS Zelda 1 quest from the overworld. I'm not sure what you could do to detail it up a bit more without overdoing it. One thing is that the overworld feels "big" in a sense with the large trees, but the dungeon does not. Maybe some statues or large bricks? I'm not sure.

2.) Item placement choice. I'm not sure where the boomerang is acquired, but already offering the magic boomerang in Level 1 might be too soon. I know in the original it was one level later but offering an upgraded weapon in Level 1 feels a bit rushed.

3.) Aquamentus boss. I know you're in early development. The boss has a cool feel and unique spin, but it looks maybe a bit too easy, even for Level 1. I can't say for sure without playing it myself, but I feel like you could spam the arrows and take him down real quick. Perhaps a more rapid release of its fireballs could up it a bit.

4.) Music. Again, things probably aren't set yet so take what you will from it. The overworld music is really pretty and detailed. While I'd prefer the traditional Z1 overworld music (an updated version / orchestrated version etc.) the music works but you have the standard Z1 dungeon music going and the quality is lower. I assume this will change though but something I thought I'd point out.

These are really small details though as so far it looks absolutely fantastic. I think one difficulty though with making a Z1 remake / remix / new version is that people have a lot of expectations as well as varying expectations to what it should be (should it stray, should it stay loyal etc.), and I think even my small critiques reflect some of that. But, with that being said, this is your project and enjoy interpreting it with your vision. I'm looking forward to playing the final product one day :)

スティーブ

Thanks a lot for the feedback Sutibu! Id like to take a minute to address some of the things that you pointed out in your critique.

As far as the dungeon design goes, I thought that maybe I was staying too true to the original, as you said. I was throwing some ideas back and forth and I think I got the dungeons to look considerably nicer, without overdoing it. They are some simple edits, but I made a 2x2 version of the dungeon blocks, imported gravel tiles from PTUX, and made some floor tiles that have cracks going through them. Out of all the dungeons, my idea was that the first couple levels would look "cleaner" than the others, thats why they use the wall tiles that arent all broken up and moss-covered. Anyway, heres a couple shots showing what I added:

SjtF0yO.png kW6A7yG.png

The L1 boomerang is in your inventory from the start, so you get the magic boomerang where the L1 boomerang normally is, and then the fire boomerang in L2 where the magic one is. The fire boomerang does the same damage as the white sword, which you can get from the start of the game if you wander for HCs. In that sense, I dont see it being an issue of overpowering Link too soon.

You made some good points about the newbie boss Aquamentus. I think Ill take your idea and make the boss shoot more often.

Every dungeon will have its own music. I decided to use the Alttp music for D1 and the Z2 Palace theme for D2, but all the other dungeons have music from other games or the Original MIDI pack. I felt like it would give a good sense to the player that the farther you get into this quest, the more things will start to change and differ from the original Z1.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. I think its helped quite a bit!

• Sheik, sutibu and Matthew like this

#7673 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

The Minish Cap has a great remix of the Z1 dungeon theme used for the Royal Crypt, you should include this somewhere.

https://www.youtube....h?v=cgf4S5fw1qM

Edited by Sheik, 06 May 2018 - 11:42 AM.

#7674 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:31 PM

The Minish Cap has a great remix of the Z1 dungeon theme used for the Royal Crypt, you should include this somewhere.

https://www.youtube....h?v=cgf4S5fw1qM

So I took a look at VGMusic to see if there was a MIDI for that, and it turns out there was. Even better, I cant tell the difference between the MIDI and the actual OST, it sounds really good! Ill probably use that for L1 instead of the Alttp music, it would make a lot more sense. Thanks for the idea! 

Edited by Octorockoncrack, 06 May 2018 - 12:32 PM.

• Sheik likes this

#7675 sutibu

sutibu

Initiate

• Members

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:58 AM

Thanks a lot for the feedback Sutibu! Id like to take a minute to address some of the things that you pointed out in your critique.

As far as the dungeon design goes, I thought that maybe I was staying too true to the original, as you said. I was throwing some ideas back and forth and I think I got the dungeons to look considerably nicer, without overdoing it. They are some simple edits, but I made a 2x2 version of the dungeon blocks, imported gravel tiles from PTUX, and made some floor tiles that have cracks going through them. Out of all the dungeons, my idea was that the first couple levels would look "cleaner" than the others, thats why they use the wall tiles that arent all broken up and moss-covered. Anyway, heres a couple shots showing what I added:

SjtF0yO.png kW6A7yG.png

The L1 boomerang is in your inventory from the start, so you get the magic boomerang where the L1 boomerang normally is, and then the fire boomerang in L2 where the magic one is. The fire boomerang does the same damage as the white sword, which you can get from the start of the game if you wander for HCs. In that sense, I dont see it being an issue of overpowering Link too soon.

You made some good points about the newbie boss Aquamentus. I think Ill take your idea and make the boss shoot more often.

Every dungeon will have its own music. I decided to use the Alttp music for D1 and the Z2 Palace theme for D2, but all the other dungeons have music from other games or the Original MIDI pack. I felt like it would give a good sense to the player that the farther you get into this quest, the more things will start to change and differ from the original Z1.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. I think its helped quite a bit!

Those dungeon screens look a lot better :)  I love the look of the big blocks and the extra detail definitely makes it look real pleasant. Cool note on the dungeon music. It's nice that each will have its own theme. That was my miss saying that it was Z1 when it was LttP, but that midi has been around since the 1.90 days. Glad you're updating it.

I will disagree a bit on overpowering (White Sword damage that has multi-directional throwing) but I understand that you're trying to make an accessible version of Z1 for someone not familiar with it. Maybe after completing this project, you can make a hard version for us ZC vets ;)

I'm glad my suggestions helped. I definitely am looking forward to the final quest. Again it was just some nitpicks here and there from me. You really do have a nice touch with ZC and everything I've seen so far has a nice refined look. Good luck with finishing the quest!

• Octorockoncrack likes this

#7676 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

Since everyone keeps refusing to post in this thread for some reason, and it has been almost three months, let me post a shot from my secret project:

ZHHxiL0.png

• Neppy, Shane, Eddy and 3 others like this

#7677 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:20 PM

thank you for reviving this thread with such a nice screen.  the only thing that I find to critique are the horizontal (fallen) pillars and logs, which could use some editing with a goal of blending with the perspective angles of the rest -- these jump right out as being seen from a weird angle that feels at odds with the rest.  I get that you don't tinker with existing sets that hard, but, you know... it is the critique thread and hypercritical old me.  I very much appreciate the revival of my favorite thread.

---

regarding Sheik's screen a page back:

....the statues don't blend with the rest of the screen (more angular LTTP design and dark outlines)....

disagree I do.  the scenery flows organically and the manmade/featured/actionable objects pop -- if this type of attention differentiation persists, the quest appeals to me based on that "rule."  now, if it is just sloppy use of varied sets and a few sceens over the trees are outlined while the characters play the background... no.  as shown... very much yes.

Edited by trudatman, 18 July 2018 - 07:23 PM.

• Jared likes this

#7678 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:38 PM

thank you for reviving this thread with such a nice screen.  the only thing that I find to critique are the horizontal (fallen) pillars and logs, which could use some editing with a goal of blending with the perspective angles of the rest -- these jump right out as being seen from a weird angle that feels at odds with the rest.  I get that you don't tinker with existing sets that hard, but, you know... it is the critique thread and hypercritical old me.  I very much appreciate the revival of my favorite thread.

You know, I've actually been thinking about this a lot myself. You're right, I usually don't tinker too much, although it really depends on what the subject is. I might look more into this and see if anything can be done. Thank you. And thank you for your kind words. :)

#7679 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:04 PM

disagree I do.  the scenery flows organically and the manmade/featured/actionable objects pop.

There are other techniques to make elements pop besides outlines, e.g. contrast. You can even do "soft" outlines (where the outline is affected by lighting too) which wouldn't look AS out of place against non-outlined backgrounds. At the moment it's just a clash of styles, which isn't surprising given they've been ripped from two different games with two different art styles.

#7680 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:45 PM

Been trying to see whether less noisy and bolder Z1 graphics look any good. Minimal edits:

dzhrznJ.png

• Bourkification, Jared, Demonlink and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users