Photo

Screenshot of the Week 380

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 380 (44 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

Octorockoncrack
IPB Image
Old and decrepit, this shrine of the lake is full of wisdom. *Flop

Shane
IPB Image
Link finds a house in a remote area of Hyrule Field during his travels.

Guardian
IPB Image
A cave...wonder where it leads. And why do I only have a boomerang...?

SpacemanDan
IPB Image
This is experimental. The sprites are mock-ups though getting them to work wouldn't be terribly difficult. The tileset itself however is a slow work-in-progress. Subscreen hasn't been touched yet.

Cukeman
IPB Image
Because.

#2 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

Dan! I remember I used those same exact Link sprites long ago...and got poked fun at and told that they didn't work with ZC. v.vI voted for SpacemanDan. Great job this week, everyone!

#3 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:52 AM

Octorockoncrack
It's seems kind of messy and I am not a fan of that subscreen. Other than that it's a great shot.

Shane
I don't have an complaints about this shot. It is very well designed and just looks great. You got my vote.

Guardian
I don't really care for a lot of the tiles in this shot. The mountains look odd, Link is sort of odd too, and that tall grass is plain hideous. It's a very well put together shot though. And why do those trees have tiny shadows?

SpacemanDan
It all looks good. If I didn't like Shane's shot so much I would have voted for yours. I think the different colors of ground looks a little funny but it's not an issue.

Cukeman
A little chaotic and needs a new palette. I like it a lot.

Edited by SUCCESSOR, 04 September 2012 - 02:55 AM.

#4 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:53 AM

Call me insane, but I voted for Octorokoncrack because I legitimately like looking at it the most. It's a dark watery dungeon shot! It's different! It's not green! It's not self-consciously "beautiful", but it's striking and has its own unique vibe all its own and it still looks pretty good and that makes it speeeeeecial.

SpacemanDan's is a close second, but I feel like... the brown in the mountains is actually not contrasted enough and the grass doesn't have enough detail. The tiles and aesthetic are new, though! I give you props for that!

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Octorockoncrack - I like the shape and the layout, but not the colors on the wall. They stand out in a bad way, and kind of clash with the rest of it. It keeps drawing my eye, and not in a good way either. icon_unsettled.gif

Shane - Voted here. It captures an ALttP feel very well, it looks nice, and it's well-designed. One thing I'd suggest is that the dirt path at the top is perhaps a little too wide, but that might be excusable depending on the area.

Guardian - It's well put-together, but I don't like the tiles, especially the trees; they just look odd, and I'm not a fan of really big trees, because all they tend to do is obscure the view, especially on screens with enemies where they vanish behind the tree and you don't know where they are.

SpacemanDan - Similar issue with the trees, something also seems off with the diagonal and right-facing mountains at the top left, I'm not sure what it is. Otherwise, though, it's a very neat shot, I would have voted for this but Shane's just barely edged you out. D:

Cukeman - Looks pretty good, like something straight out of the games. icon_thumbsup.gif

Also three usernames end in "an" and there's an "an" in "Shane." Octorockoncrack, y u mess up this pattern? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ

#6 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

I really like Cukeman's shot although I can't really pinpoint why. Very classic looking. Nice balance of colors. It has actual content. It conveys a mood with a minimalistic amount of tiles.This is the generic shot you want to have, If every screen in you're game looks like this, you're well off. I voted for Cukeman icon_smile.gif

-Strike

#7 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

Voted for Guardian. Sepulcher's tileset is becoming one hell of a tileset.

#8 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

Hard to decide whether to vote for Shane, Jared, or Octorockoncrack.

But in the end, I ended up voting for Octorock.

#9 macman1134

macman1134

• Members

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

SpacemanDan got my vote only because this is SCREENSHOT of the week. The genera layout captures my eye, with the modified sprites and such (the exception being the dirt tiles-they seem a little out of place). This is a unique idea and a great screenshot; I hesitated choosing it because I personally don't believe that this screenshot could be "played" with zelda classic, bringing back the point of SotW. Great job, again, with the shot! icon_biggrin.gif

#10 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(SUCCESSOR @ Sep 4 2012, 03:52 AM) View Post

Octorockoncrack
It's seems kind of messy and I am not a fan of that subscreen. Other than that it's a great shot.

Messy? Well, seeing as how it's an ancient temple, I wouldn't think that everything would be as it was back when the temple was built.

Octorockoncrack - I like the shape and the layout, but not the colors on the wall. They stand out in a bad way, and kind of clash with the rest of it. It keeps drawing my eye, and not in a good way either.

I actually like the way that the yellow on the wall stands out. I can't really say why, I just do. And this is just a default palette in PTUX, so it looks like that with almost every dungeon palette.

Anyways:

Octorockoncrack: Pft, this guy. 1/10 icon_badrazz.gif

Shane: I really like the way you can use those mountains, Shane. Nice tile placement and the overall feel of the screen is very pleasant. 9/10

Guardian: I like the way this tileset is coming along, but i feel like all the tiles together kind of clash a little. Maybe it's just me, but I do like it a lot. 8/10

SpacemanDan: You would have gotten my vote this week if I hadn't nulled. The trees in that shot are absolutely breathtaking! The overall graphics are really nice, but the dark color of the dirt might look better if it was lightened a bit. Also, Skyward Trigger icon_razz.gif 9/10

Cukeman: Looks like a generic GB shot to me, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but it's a bit bland for SOTW. 7/10

Very nice shots everyone! Except for Octo, that guy has issues. icon_wacky.gif

#11 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Octorockoncrack: Its ok, a screen that would be ok in any game 6/10
Shane: The house clashes (maybe its the shadowing i don't know) else the screen seems ok 4/10
Guardian: Looks good besides that i do not like the Link sprite but still 8/10(voted for this)
SpacemanDan: I would have liked to vote for this but all the sprites seem too much like cardboard compared to the rest. 7/10 (could have been more if the sprites including link would look less like cardboard)
Cukeman: Man what happened to you i saw you post such wonderful gb-screens before but this one i sadly have to say meh 5/10

#12 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

Voted for Octo. Not only does it stand out against the awfully monotonous "generic overworld screen" that tend to be favourites in SOTW, but it actually looks pretty cool.

#13 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

Since people didn't like my Hyrule Field being green, here is the new palette for it!

IPB Image

I hope yous like it! icon_smile.gif

...On a more serious matter, thanks to those who voted for me. Also if I didn't submit for this week's SotW I would have gone for Octo's, very neat dungeon shot. icon_smile.gif

(In case people misunderstand or think I'm being snide, the "new palette" comment was a joke. icon_razz.gif)

Edited by Shane, 07 September 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#14 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE(Octorockoncrack @ Sep 6 2012, 01:16 PM) View Post

Messy? Well, seeing as how it's an ancient temple, I wouldn't think that everything would be as it was back when the temple was built.

By messy I meant things looked as though they were placed haphazardly. I get less of that sense looking at it now but still think that a large amount of the design detail being made up of "litter" wasn't the best choice. Not that you should worry about my opinion as a great deal of people seem to disagree with me. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by SUCCESSOR, 08 September 2012 - 04:37 AM.

#15 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:44 PM

Octorockoncrack - 14 votes = 34.15%
Shane - 5 votes = 12.20%
Guardian - 15 votes = 36.59%
SpacemanDan - 5 votes = 12.20%
Cukeman - 2 votes = 4.88%

Total Votes: 41

Guardian
IPB Image
A cave...wonder where it leads. And why do I only have a boomerang...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users