Photo

Screenshot of the Week 617

Sheik Shane xanadude Dimentio

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 617 (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

Sheik
Sheik.png

Shane
Shane.png
"I need to find a weapon as soon as possible. This place is far from inviting..." - ???

xanadude
xanadude.png
"Wow... this is familiar..."

Dimentio
Dimentio.png
Allow me to take a break from submitting HF screenshots in order to submit a low effort classic shot that will inevitably be beaten by everyone else, because every contest needs filler! :D

#2 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

I have nulled my vote, being in the poll and all. I like Shane's and xanadude's best.

Also, here is a shameless plug to some more stuff from my project, provided people are interested.

And here you can download it.

Edited by Sheik, 26 June 2017 - 05:42 PM.

#3 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

Sheik's is too pretty! Voted. (Are you putting flippers into a Z1 remake?)

I really like Shane's except for the dark blue diamond gradient on the subscreen, it's too much of a visual distraction for me. Where'd you get those canopy graphics?  :approve:

Edited by Cukeman, 27 June 2017 - 05:42 AM.

#4 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Banned

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:22 PM

I voted for Dimentio cause it is the most beautiful shot I've ever seen. My life has been changed. :drool:

• Astromeow and Naru like this

#5 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:31 PM

Nulled, since I'm in the poll. Being objective, Shane and Shiek's are outstanding.

#6 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:09 AM

Are you putting flippers into a Z1 remake?

I am thinking about it, yes. Since I am going for a more modern feel I am considering switching the raft for the flippers and the ladder for either the feather or the hookshot. And maybe - if I end up with less dungeons than the originial or for some other reason - I will have the wand and book in one item (fire rod, I guess). About these things I am rather undecided though, as of yet.

• Lightwulf likes this

#7 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:52 AM

Sheik - Damn that looks really awesome, well done once again. I really like how bright and colourful everything looks, and everything also looks very well made. I'm honestly dying to play this lol

Shane - Very nice shot. I really love the neat touches with the leaves on the corners, and that subscreen looks so good. Overall a really solid effort.

xanadude - Very nice and simple, I like how spaced out things are, not making the screen overly cramped with detail. This screen definitely looks familiar :P

Dimentio - This actually looks pretty nice, I totally get the theme you're going for here and I think it worked out pretty nicely. Solid effort overall.

Quite a good week actually, really liked all of these. It was close between Shane and Sheik for me, but I'm probably going for Sheik this week.

• Shane and CimFighter like this

#8 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:04 AM

Sheik - I still don't like the plain blue water, it is so boring compared to the rest and while blue does clearly indicate water here I can't help to think at times that it looks like space that just isn't filled out yet. For the current style you could try to add some rocks or so similar to the wall that can be seen through the surface. Still, it remains beautiful and should be the tileset closest to being playable with such great bright colors.

Shane - I like the Subscreen, I have seen similar ones before from Jared for example, but I really like how you limit the space filled out with subscreen-elements to the middle without it appearing empty. I agree with Cukeman that it doesn't fit to the actual screen though. I personally like it if a tileset has something unique and consistent. New graphics are great and creating something new from old tiles is great as long as you manage to give it your own style, but I don't like to see tiles that are just thrown in from another tileset, killing the uniqueness of both sets. This is mostly just me, but your floor screams GB-Zelda to me and it completely kills the RotS-style for me. I also am bothered by the leaves (?) hanging from the ceiling, at first I even thought they don't fit in there. While giving it another look I must admit that it is a great addition, but I would like to see some mossy/grassy elements on the floor to create some connection to the clean walls and such.

Xanadu - the colors give it a nice unique look, but I think for a bigger area you will need to use a lot more colors changing around since it is the kind of uniqueness that tends to look all the same over time.

Dementio - so much manliness! It totally feels as if the stereotype of a manly man without taste tried his best with upmost confident to beat his girl in decorating and failed big time. I actually really like it, it fits just greatly to the classic tile-set.

#9 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:11 AM

Hard decision between Shane and Sheik, but I voted for Shane because of the unique takes on GB style.  Love the character sprite!  Not sure if that's supposed to be Link (I'm guessing it's not), but nice shine in the hair!  I'm eager to find out what those red and blue sparkles are for (below the raised posts).

Sheik's shot looks beautiful!  Can't complain, other than for adding a few water details (sparkles, sleight waves, etc) here and there in the water. ( ... LOZ remake?  Coulda' fooled me!  Maybe I'm not that familiar with the original overworld map enough to recognize it.)

Xanadude, nice pastel colors!  Also, I recognize the screen!  Nice new take on it!   :D

Dimentio, nice Classic screen! :)  A little symmetrical, but I guess castles can be designed that way.

The thing that killed it for my vote, though, was the perspective clash between the vertical vines and the slanted wall bricks.  I know Classic has limitations, but my artistic eye is too familiar with spriting Classic walls not to notice.  If you are a good spriter (or at least good with math), it'd look better to have the vines follow the slant of the walls; however, if you're not good at spriting, I'd suggest leaving the walls bare.  Plus, the slant increases the further from the center you get, so it's trick to make vines look right.  The vine sprites would look fine if they were supposed to hand straight down from the ceiling (which is hard to portray and may require upper layers), but not if they are growing on the walls.

Edited by Lightwulf, 27 June 2017 - 05:12 AM.

• Shane likes this

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:41 AM

I am thinking about it, yes. Since I am going for a more modern feel I am considering switching the raft for the flippers and the ladder for either the feather or the hookshot. And maybe - if I end up with less dungeons than the originial or for some other reason - I will have the wand and book in one item (fire rod, I guess). About these things I am rather undecided though, as of yet.

The feather would make the game significantly easier (for dodging enemies). I'd go for the hookshot unless you want to make it somewhat easier.

#11 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

Voted for Sheik again. Those BS shots are consistently good.
  • Cukeman likes this

#12 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:34 PM

With 42.22% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 617 is Sheik!

Sheik.png

Congratulations on the win, Sheik!!

Voting totals:
- Sheik - 19 votes [42.22%]
- Shane - 16 votes [35.56%]
- xanadude - 2 votes [4.44%]
- Dimentio - 8 votes [17.78%]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sheik, Shane, xanadude, Dimentio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users