Photo

Screenshot of the Week 578

Russ Lunaria Sephiroth Joelmacool GrantGreif Avataro

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 578 (47 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:18 PM

Lunaria

Lunaria.png

Glowing crystals and dark caverns? ...I never asked for this.

Sephiroth

Sephiroth.png

Link appears to have found his way to the outskirts of some forest...

Joelmacool

Joelmacool.png

The updated version of HDIPZ... much better... :)

GrantGreif

GrantGreif.png

Well, I guess I have to look for the Deku Tree...

Russ

Russ.png

As he searches through the crumbling remains of the magma tubes, slowly losing their timeless fight against the ocean, Caelan finds a new secret.

• Joelmacool likes this

#2 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:52 PM

Lunaria - the cave design might be interesting, but how should I rate a screen good that is mostly just black. and even with the explanation the crystals don't look like they give out light.

Sephiroth - don't like it. not bad at all, but it looks to me a lot like you had a screen highly detailed with many shades of colors and then lowered the amount of detail by reducing the shades. Mostly I just dislike the palette and the trees don't fit for me into that tileset.

Joelmacool - I don't like the blue parts of the trees and something in that screen makes me dislike the groundcolor. The design itself is good though.

GrantGreif - finally something nice, I just really dislike the blue created by the transparent overhead-layer.

Russ - I get hyped like everyone else about your game. The magma does not look like magma, more like weird orange water. It being so clear below the surface, the white bubbles resembling waterfall foam and the falling magma being bubble-free. The tree looks like frozen and the transition to the ground looks odd. Also, if you keep everything in the same color to give this nighttime/moonlight feeling the magma color feels even more off and shouldn't the water also use the same colors?

Avataro - your screen looks once more like a smaller screen would fit your ideas better. and it wouldn't hurt to not end your walls just in black. still, my vote this week.

• Avaro and Jared like this

#3 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:14 PM

Voted Avataro for simplicity and playability.

• Naru likes this

#4 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:25 PM

Voted for Russ

• Russ likes this

#5 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:39 AM

Lunaria - I like the gimmick you got going on here, but as far as a screenshot contest goes, the majority of the screen is just black and there isn't really much to judge on since I can't see anything else. From what I can see though, it looks nice and the palette fits quite well.

Sephiroth - Very nice shot. I don't really have any major complaints with this one. I really like how the screen is structured and it all looks nicely made. I would probably try and make the top-left corner of forest brush not so straight though (unless there's a mountain on the left screen, but even then it looks a bit weird).

Joelmacool - Nice and simplistic. There's definitely more detail than the original version but other than that, there isn't really anything else I can say. Nice castle though.

GrantGreif - Decent screen, but something about the shadows makes the palette look really messed up. I just really dislike the blue shades here, and you should probably try and fix up the shadow tiles so that it looks darker than the normal palette, rather than adding all this blue.

Russ - Nice job with this screen, it all looks really nicely done. I do slightly agree with Naru on the magma, but it doesn't really bother me at all. Also, nice floppy disk lel

Avataro - Nice and basic. I'm not so sure on the extremely bright spikes going with the floor, since that looks kinda weird, but everything else is good.

It was close between Russ and Sephiroth this week, but I'm gonna give it to Sephiroth.

• Sephiroth likes this

#6 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:47 AM

@Eddy: There is indeed a mountain there.
VdYgz0n.png
Don't mind the black spots; haven't detailed in yet; trying to lay down the major features before detailing.

Edited by Sephiroth, 27 September 2016 - 09:48 AM.

• Shane and Eddy like this

#7 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:58 AM

It didn't even strike me that the blue overlay looked weird until the people here pointed that out and I took a second look at it. I'm pretty sure ZQ has an occasional bug where transparent layers aren't displayed properly, so maybe that's why. Either way, I'll definitely fix that.

• Eddy likes this

#8 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:22 AM

My shot was very weak this time :) Don't worry... I have something coming :)

#9 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:38 PM

Lunaria: what's there looks nice but like 3/4ths of the screen is black?  i feel like this screen could have been a strong contender if we'd gotten to see more of it

Joelmacool: nearly 1/2 of the screen is Castle

GrantGreif: everyone needs to stop dissing the blue; it looks really cool and adds mood to a shot that could otherwise just be A Regular Screen, But With Lowered Gamma Values.  otoh the lines of trees on the sides that are totally unbroken don't look too great

Russ: i'm still enamored with that mountain and the general aesthetic, but this screen doesn't grab me as much as previous ones in the same style.  i guess this one is just a little visually messy for my tastes? edit: i think i know what it is that bugs me; it's actually too high-contrast.  the super light shade of blue for the walls against the super dark shade is authentically NES-y, i guess, on one hand, but honestly kind of makes everything feel like a magic eye picture, on the other

i didn't have much to say about the other shots

voted for uh

GrantGreif i guess his actually grabbed my attention the most

yeah i know

i know

Edited by Rambly, 27 September 2016 - 01:40 PM.

• MarinaraSauce likes this

#10 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:04 PM

Joelmacool: nearly 1/2 of the screen is Castle

Thanks for the info! :) Next screen will look better, I promise :)

• Shane likes this

#11 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:27 PM

Hmm, I don't really know why, but without subscreen, Link and enemies I like Sephiroths screen a lot more. I think it might have been unfair how I described the screen, I mostly just can't see such metallic sprites fitting into it.

• Sephiroth likes this

#12 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:23 PM

Hmm, I don't really know why, but without subscreen, Link and enemies I like Sephiroths screen a lot more. I think it might have been unfair how I described the screen, I mostly just can't see such metallic sprites fitting into it.

I blame DoR Hybrid for that one. I'd like to get new sprites to replace all of these enemy graphics, but I lack the pixel-arting skills to sprite up new ones that match the overall style of the world, which emphasizes on quite the lack of solid black outlining. Also I'm designing screens to fit together as a whole rather than trying to make each one stand out on its own. .. Considering the spacebar map will be available throughout the quest (even inside the dungeons), ... I honestly think ZC just isn't the engine I need for these particular maps I'm putting together. Would be great if I could implement Z3-style large areas with scrolling that's centered on Link; but to do so I'd have to effectively rewrite collisions and all the other dealios to go along with that, and I'm honestly not capable of doing something that in depth. So I'm unfortunately just stuck with what I got at this time. :shrug:

Thanks for the comments though, Naru.

#13 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:10 PM

It didn't even strike me that the blue overlay looked weird until the people here pointed that out and I took a second look at it. I'm pretty sure ZQ has an occasional bug where transparent layers aren't displayed properly, so maybe that's why. Either way, I'll definitely fix that.

Press 'b' to rebuild the transparency table and see if that helps. ;)

#14 FireSeraphim

FireSeraphim

Behold the might of legend!

• Members

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

This is a really hard one to decide on.

#15 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:28 AM

Are there some rules to the transparency? Long ago I had troubles with it regarding transperent water (blue above blue created green and black above purple walls a bright gray...) and pressing "b" did not help. Are there some things to avoid that?

@Sephiroth - just look in older DoR-versions or other tilesets for less metallic sprites to rip. While I am not one of them we have a few members with good knowledge about all the tilesets and loose tiles you also could just ask for advise.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Russ, Lunaria, Sephiroth, Joelmacool, GrantGreif, Avataro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users