Photo

Screenshot of the Week 189

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

Poll: SoTW 189 (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE(HeavyTitanium @ Dec 17 2007, 05:31 PM) View Post

Sorry to say but...I think it needs more detail icon_confused.gif

How can you say that over classic (if you see my next DS topic ingore it)

Billy ronald: OMG you shot rules

CC: not bad i hate to say this but i don't relly like your styll

Zmaster : not a bad shot but i try to avoide classic quests

#17 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:04 PM

... Billy, let me tell you something. It takes a lot of skill to use any set, even classic. Hell, I sucked with classic when I first used it (3 years ago... huh.) You say that classic shouldn't be better than PTUX. Well, I'm sorry, but in this case, it is. In zmaster's shot, everything is excellently detailed. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it still has more detail than your shot. Thing is, your shot lacks ground detail. I'm not saying it's horrible, but the mountains' grounds need way more detail. And the bushes are way too repetitive. Overall, it does have potential. And let me tell you, PTUX is pretty difficult to use. Even I have trouble with it. That's probably the reason I've only made about 6 screens of Remnants with PTUX. It takes a lot of time to even make one screen. To make the screen that won the only SotW I've ever won, I spent about 20 minutes on. Overall, you can't use PTUX and expect to make amazing screens in a couple minutes. Every little thing needs to be tended to.

How can you say that over classic (if you see my next DS topic ingore it)

Just because it's classic doesn't mean it's going to make you pry your eyes out with a spork. There's more to it than just how great the graphics might seem in the next shot. In SotW, it's how a set is used, too.

#18 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

I nulled, just to be fair.

ZM: Been messing with Classic's pallette a lot. That shot seemed like it had the most balance to it out of the 10-15 screens I've made, and it shows several of the tiles and pallettes I changed. Only problem is it doesn't have any water.

CastChaos: Not bad, not bad. One thing sticks out to me...the top-left seems...too open, with the spike traps on the edges. Maybe it would look better if you replaced a couple of them that are next to a wall with more wall.

billy ronald: Standard Pure shot. Good layout, but it really does need more ground detail.

#19 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Dec 17 2007, 04:04 PM) View Post

... Billy, let me tell you something. It takes a lot of skill to use any set, even classic. Hell, I sucked with classic when I first used it (3 years ago... huh.) You say that classic shouldn't be better than PTUX. Well, I'm sorry, but in this case, it is. In zmaster's shot, everything is excellently detailed. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it still has more detail than your shot. Thing is, your shot lacks ground detail. I'm not saying it's horrible, but the mountains' grounds need way more detail. And the bushes are way too repetitive. Overall, it does have potential. And let me tell you, PTUX is pretty difficult to use. Even I have trouble with it. That's probably the reason I've only made about 6 screens of Remnants with PTUX. It takes a lot of time to even make one screen. To make the screen that won the only SotW I've ever won, I spent about 20 minutes on. Overall, you can't use PTUX and expect to make amazing screens in a couple minutes. Every little thing needs to be tended to.

Very Very True. Just look at the difference of my shots...

Rushed Shot (3-minutes)
IPB Image

Paced Shot (8-Minutes)
IPB Image

You probably know which shot is better. The second one right? See how well time and learning will pay off? Just to play around with PTUX.

#20 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:52 PM

I don't have anything to say about the shots that hasn't already been said, but I'd like to know what difference it makes as to whether it is a .jpg or .gif.

#21 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

The colors in jpegs get messed up and the image sometimes gets distorted.

#22 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE(Evile @ Dec 18 2007, 09:06 PM) View Post

The colors in jpegs get messed up and the image sometimes gets distorted.

No kidding. Just look at my rushed shot. Pretty messed up.

#23 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(fuzzyman @ Dec 18 2007, 08:52 PM) View Post
I don't have anything to say about the shots that hasn't already been said, but I'd like to know what difference it makes as to whether it is a .jpg or .gif.
In some programs, there's no noticeable difference at all. You see, .jpg's are good for pictures and such because it blends the colors very slightly (the lower quality .jpg, the more "blend" there is), taking the edge off of everything and creating a smooth appearance. When you deal with something that has very hard pixelated edges, like a ZC shot, you get a mess of colors not made to be there. When I save images as .jpg's in GIMP, it gives me a quality option; if I adjust it to 9 (the highest) nothing happens to the picture. Adjusting it to 1 (the lowest) gives you a very ugly mess. I believe the default setting for .jpg's is somewhere around 7, but I'm not sure.

Plus, .gif's retain the original 256-color palette, whereas .jpgs default to a standard high-color palette.

#24 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:00 PM

zmaster - Good ol' classic! I know how hard it is to make classic look good, and you've done it pretty well!

CastChaos - Love the walls, and love the idea. It really does make you look around and think for a little bit. One thing I don't like, though, is th lack of borders around the walls. You have them around the chest and skull-pots, so I know its not laziness, but...

billy-ronald - Detail, man! You're shot needs a lot more detail. You only have 1 kind of "doodad" tile on the dirt. Add some rocks, bouncy flowers, and whatever else you can find. Also, try spreading those buses out a little, maybe put some space in between them, it just doesn't look right when you have them all clumped up in a box like that. And fix the trees at the bottom...

/me votes for zmaster.

#25 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:10 PM

Theryan: No, not lazyness. I wanted to make this dungeon weathered, not nice and clean. The floor tiles broke and now there are those stones for floor. I could have used my weathered floor borders that I made for the second dungeon, but I don't want to overuse them. Also, the lack of borders make an empty but not neccessarily undetailed feeling with this floor/wall combination. Also, don't worry, there going to be enough floor borders in this dungeon.

#26 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:05 PM

18-18, this is going to be a close match!

#27 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Dec 19 2007, 05:05 PM) View Post

18-18, this is going to be a close match!

I wish people would stop pointing this out. We don't need to know this. icon_neutral.gif

btw, zmaster's up by one, now.

#28 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:10 AM

CC gets my vote.

Billy, just add some detail and it would be awsome!

ITS TIED AGAIN!!!

Edited by Ironfist, 21 December 2007 - 12:11 AM.

#29 Turbon714

Turbon714

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:13 AM

Classic wins. icon_love.gif

Sorry; fan of the classic tileset, my choice was made the moment I glanced at the first shot.

*votes*

#30 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:12 PM

Oh my god can we just declare the winner now >_< Damned suspense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users