Photo

Screenshot of the Week 159

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 159 (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

/M/
IPB Image
Link is always ready for any Octorok that may appear

CastChaos
IPB Image
Even Gels and Bandits love the realistic muddy-rocky water!

Evan the Great
IPB Image

Sharon Daniel
IPB Image

Zeldafreak
IPB Image

I like the variety of the shots as opposed to last week. Good luck everyone!

Silly me, confusing /M/'s IRC name with his forum name

#2 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:44 PM

Voted for Sharon's. It stood out the most. /M/ would be my second choice, but the palette makes it look... I don't know, well it's interesting.

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:45 PM

Wow. Got lots of awesome shots this week. Lemme review here...

- /M/ -

It all looks nice and lovely here. The subscreen's pretty cool, too. icon_wink.gif There seems to be a bit of conflict between that patch of grass near the top of the screen, but I quickly shrugged it off. *votes*

- CastChaos -

Well, good to see you cut down on the white flowers this time around. icon_lol.gif Eeh, more or less, just another average DoR shot. You've got excellent flow though, I'll give you that. icon_smile.gif

- Evan the Great -

Ah, a dark swamp region. icon_thumbsup.gif Kinda empty though. Ah, well. Looks good, altogether.

- Sharon Daniel -

Wow. Small objects. icon_wacky.gif Sorry, SD, but it's just kind of repetitive. icon_shrug.gif

- Zeldafreak -

This is excellent. Take your subscreen, and throw in an overworld screen. I like it. icon_biggrin.gif However, the top-right corner is conflicting. There's grass, then there's suddenly black. Not even the slightest hint of blending. Ah, well. This shot pwns!

#4 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:50 PM

Warning! These are the most useless comments you'll ever read!

_M_: Your sword sprite doesn't match the sword in Link's hand. icon_eek.gif

CastChaos: That little mound of dirt above Link's head really stands out. Where's that from?

Evan the Great: Those rain tiles rock!

Sharon Daniel: I hope you change those ground textures. icon_eek.gif

Zeldafreak: Your bomb mini-tile needs a transparent background. icon_wink.gif

I nulled, by the way.

#5 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

Me : I have two palettes for this area, so if many people complain about the palette, I'll change it. Anyways, yes I know the sword sprite doesn't match the one in the subscreen, but that is only because I've yet to make a stab tile for it.

CastChaos : I like the mud-like water texture you have there. Nothing else stands out though..

Evan_The_Great : Seems like a basic, empty Pure shot with some Minish Cap tree. Though you did recolor those trees nicely into Pure. Good job.

Sharon_Daniel : 0_o? The only thing that's nice is the mountains. The dirt isn't any good, the trees look plastic, the grass texture is very repetitive, the grass borders looks like somebody cut it from a piece of paper, and pasted it over the dirt. Everything looks fake, plastic, and paper like. You should make this quest called " The Paper of Zelda". icon_razz.gif

ZeldaFreak : Basic SD3 tileset screenshot. Nothing I haven't seen before.

#6 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Apr 22 2007, 10:50 PM) View Post

CastChaos: That little mound of dirt above Link's head really stands out. Where's that from?

That's a rock from the MC tileset. I'm not satisfied with the DoR rocks, so I ripped some from other tilesets. (I use DoR rocks, too, though.)

/M/: Very nice forest side. I like the palette as well. Cloudy summer afternoon? Oh, and I didn't recognize the sword misplacement at first...

CastChaos: Yes, the realistic water made me choose this screen. Plus I tweaked it a little before sending in. For example, the original screen had flower overusage.

Evan the Great: This swamp is quite simple... and not in a nostalgic or any good way.

Sharon Daniel: Very simple screen. The dirt is very strange. The bush and flower are also bother me... They are like they were slashed then placed back on their slashed trunk or something such... icon_shrug.gif

Zeldafreak: Good SD3 screen. However, the cave is very strange... it's like Gravity Beetle shooted a gravity bomb in it. I can't explain it better.

Nulled.

EDIT: Also, this is the first overworld map I made. I quite like it. Maybe not only the realistic muddy-rocky water stands out...

Edited by CastChaos, 22 April 2007 - 05:01 PM.

#7 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:11 PM

Good screenshots everyone. While Zeldafreak's shot has the most advanced looking graphics (thus the most eye candy), /M/'s design seems to be the most appealing to me down to every detail. Of the five outdoor scenes, this has the least linearity to it and appears to be the most natural looking to me. So my vote goes to /M/.

#8 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

Hurray, variety.

/M/ - Delcicious. The fact that there isent any black at first botherd me, but I think its sacrifiable. I'm not sure how good that would look full-screen though. I love it though, and the only real graphical complaint I can make is that I think the sides of the house should have a bit more curve, as to not look like it was a layering mistake.

Cast- Work a bit more with screen layout. While its not particularlly bad, its not really that good either. Try to use only 2 types of tree per screen, as well as not make it quite so linear.

Evan- This would be better if it were more busy, or more "filling". Like a witches hut on top of a small hill at the top right of the screen would fill it up and if set-up on the bottem was a bit more full as well it would be a contender... though a completely different screen.

Shar- Don't use the same ground tile for an entire area... a bit more variety would do it some good. Theres also something perspective wise that won't stop bugging me, but I can't put my finger on it.

Evan- Good example of how not to use advanced graphic. For one, use some transistion tiles between the cave entrance and the dirt path, not to mention the water tiles at the bottem are horrible. Add some "waves" coming off the rock or something instead of just a dead transition.

Don't use advanced graphics unless you really understand them and can actually make tiles that "decently" fit in with them. It's just kinda annoying to see great tiles not bieng used properly.

#9 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:20 PM

M: The only thing carry his shot are the graphics. Even then the house looks out of place and its colors clashing with the rest of the shot. The trees are too faded. The overall design of it feels boxy.

CastChaos: Sorry, but its the DOR tileset, badly used. Hate to put it so harsh, but nothing stands out to me other than me giving it a passing glance.

Evan the Great: The trees are nice, but it seems to be the only things that's expected to carry the shot, the rest has no flow or design or detail whatsoever. Just put a single one of those trees on a black background and be done with it, because that's basically what you sent in. icon_unsettled.gif Work on the rest of the stuff around the trees and you'll be getting into a nice shot.

Sharon Daniel: Nice new custom graphics, love the enemies, shame that its a ) too bright and b ) too repetative. Good graphics, just put to bad use.

ZeldaFreak: This time again, expected to have (not custom) but ripped graphics from the SD series to try and carry the shot to victory. The mountains aren't even used as well as they were in the SD games, its like the mountains are limiting your potential to make this a good shot.

Overall, a bad week imo. But if I had to choose, I'd go with the lesser of the evils and choose /M/.

#10 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:47 PM

M: The only thing carry his shot are the graphics. Even then the house looks out of place and its colors clashing with the rest of the shot. The trees are too faded. The overall design of it feels boxy.

Care to explain yourself further? I made the trees look faded on purpose, and no, they are not "too faded". How does the house look out of place? Well.. I could move it to the right by one row, and edit the house color. I have to agree, the house color clashes just a bit. And the screen is suppose to be kinda of 'boxy", FYI. Anyways, I already edited the house colors.

Edited by /M/, 22 April 2007 - 07:05 PM.

#11 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

I basically spent like 5 mins making my shot. I think I'm gonna try ALOT more on my next SOTW entry. I'm gonna go back and make that screen alot better, since it sucks pretty hard right now. It needs alot more detail and I not really too happy with it.

/M/: That house looks pretty cool in my opinion. But the trees look way too faded.

CastChaos: Looks too boxy and not too attractive.

Evan the Great: You suck n00b! Do better next time.

SD: looks alright, the trees seem strange though...

Zeldafreak: Good graphics but not that good of a screen. Some graphical errors.

#12 WindStrike

WindStrike

Culex is the bane of my existence.

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

(*skips typical formality intro*)

/M/: Fascinating... though I have to agree with DFW on the house vs. the trees (on a side note, add Link into that - he just doesn't fit too well with the graphical design/depth of those wondrous trees). I like the foliage in the bottom-left - twould like to see the rest of it! (and probably end up using it because the current one I'm using ain't too good) Though it could fit in a little better with the trees...
It's just those trees that make the rest of the shot stand out. But aside from that, tis still fairly good. That "black hole" that's in the middle of the four trees on the right looks out of place, because it's the only black in the forest part. Ah... the bottom corners of the house don't blend with the grass like they normally should (randomly caught that part). One more thing: That dirt pwns all. Too bad it uses too many colors for it to ever fit with DoR. Actually, another thing: That one grass pattern, although fairly detailed looks... uhh... almost overused, it being grass. Nonetheless, a solid shot and great effort - voted.

CastChaos: Muddy water, eh? Ya know what'd be better than doing that? Just lay down the dirt patch there and then overlay transparent shallow water. Works much better. Besides, with that supposed "muddiness," the colors are too faded for it to possibly pass as even water or mud.
Rest of the screen: I'd say that's like a "how many different things from DoR can I fit onto one screen?" I appreciate your attempt at making it look good, but for a plethora of reasons, it can only pass an "ok." (at least from me) One, it SEVERELY needs to be toned down in the number of different things on the screen. Two, the joined treetops lining up oh so perfectly at the bottom there looks odd and conspicuous. Three: The trees that have a completely blank interior are best used for snowy areas, so try using a different one. Four: There's not exactly much design in it other than it being a straight path and that it's symmetrical. Five: I don't normally do this, but to contradict your caption, not much looks realistic except for the fallen leaves around the trees. Sorry, but this needs a heavy revision before it can be uhh... "good," per se (hey, I had to do a heavy revision on one of my shots too).

Evan the Great: So... other than some good ol' trees of doom... what's on that screen? No? Just bland grass, a river, some rain and some enemies? Yeah... "just" the cool-lookin' trees aren't going to quite get you much. Needs the design aspect, where something is on the screen (but it must be hidden and look suspicious). That, or you need to head for realism. Or path off into different areas. Or several other ideas that'd go well for SotW. This is a great in-game shot... but uhh... it's not going to quite hit SotW standards, given the design. -_-

Sharon Daniel: Good job on catching the cartoon style effect! I also like the mountains a lot! The pine trees may look nice... but perspectively, they look extremely off. Then there's the sheer amount of repitition in the screen. I can't get a pick on this on.

Zeldafreak: Oh yeah, the mountains are definitely limiting that shot. They may look good themselves, but given how you used them on the screen, you can't seem to put much else down. The grass detail is also repetitive. Same with the dirt. The flow of the screen, however, is quite excellent... until you hit three spots: One, the tree doesn't have a shadow. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem, but when you compare it with the mountains which has a shadow on itself, then the tree kinda stands out, especally at the top. Two, like said with everyone else, the cave. Three, as several others have complained, the water looks... wait, it doesn't even look like water. Just some blue with a bunch of different blue specks on it pretty much. Ya know, I think transparent water would go very well with those cliffs, but use a different water still. Were it not for these three problems, I probably would've taken the vote on this one. Good job anyhow though!

(Whew! It's like writing reviews for music in terms of how extensive I'm going on this! Nearly an hour of thinking, looking, and typing. Wow... longest I've gone on reviewing SotW shots.)
As opposed to what DFW thinks, tis had some great shots this week! None were bad, but some could've still used a lot of improvement whereas others only needed minor detailing fixes. Overall effort twas quite excellent in comparison to other weeks.
(I need to get in a shot next week)

#13 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:16 PM

/M/: Good shot, but it reminds me of HF. Pikachu, I choose you!

CastChaos: Muddy water is nice, but nothing else is really all that great.

Evan: I like how you got those trees into pure, but its like you didn't even try with the rest of the screen.

Sharon: The dirt, grass, and yellow things on the grass look a little odd.

ZeldaFreak: Nice SD3 shot, but I've seen this tileset put to use many times before.

#14 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:18 PM

/M/ gets my vote. Interesting palette, needs some improvement but it's a good start. If you're going for like a golden sunset kind of thing I recommend taking a screenshot with the original palette, then using photoshop or something to convert the picture to 16 million colours then play around with brightness/contrast and hue overlays... if you understood any of that.

CastChaos, as a gameplay screen it's fine. As a showcase screenshot, there's just not a lot to show here.

Evan, see CastChaos's comment.

Sharon's got an interesting style, incomplete subscreen, custom tiles and colours... but personally I don't like the tiled and angled look. I'm a sucker for intricate graphics icon_razz.gif

Zeldafreak, I hate to see good tiles used so poorly. Your mountains are sooooo repetitive! There's heaps of different tiles in SD3, why not mix it up a bit instead of going the repetitive "man-made" look? Also, what's with the water in the bottom right? It's horrendous.

Edited by NoeL, 22 April 2007 - 11:30 PM.

#15 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:52 PM

/M/ gets my vote, although none of them really made me leap with joy.

Edited by Zemious, 22 April 2007 - 11:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users