Photo

What's the earliest thing you remember seeing online?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 March 2022 - 12:40 AM

Thought this might be a fun idea for a thread. I'll keep mine short since it's pretty simple, and will sadly reveal my boomer status.

First thing I remember seeing online were very low resolution screenshots from an obscure indie title called Super Mario 64. I didn't see this on my own of course, I was shown it, but still it's the first thing I remember ever seeing online.

What about you all?

• Matthew likes this

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 March 2022 - 01:43 AM

Anyone remember Juno? The email service? No? Fuck.

That probably wasn't actually it, it's just some of my earliest internet memories in the 90s. Had to have gotten an email for a reason, but for what? Hell if I know what emails I wrote or received all those years ago, I don't even know if that service still exists or, if it does, if my address still exists. I don't think I remember for sure what my address was and I sure as hell wouldn't be able to tell you what the password is either. Want to say I wrote fanmail to PBS or something.

Anyway, that's also what is most likely among the first things I looked at on the internet, the PBS Kids website. Well, if "PBS Kids" was a brand yet. Maybe more accurate to say "PBS kid show websites." Namely Arthur. On AOL, even. Remember AOL? Remember dial-up? Remember the screeching that once was noisy but is now nostalgic?

Just the noise. Not the process. The process sucks. Thank you, advances in technology.

• Anthus likes this

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 20 March 2022 - 04:31 AM

The Twilight Princess trailers, I think.

• Anthus likes this

#4 FieryBirdyThing

FieryBirdyThing

Junior

• Members

Posted 20 March 2022 - 09:02 AM

Earliest I can recall is the Nintendo website, around the late '90s. This was the only time my family visited an Internet cafe, and I seem to remember printing out a page about Pokemon (this was before it had been released over here).

In regards to home use, again, the Nintendo site was the earliest, this time in search of Star Fox sites.

#5 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 20 March 2022 - 12:24 PM

My dad looking at drudge report and then my brother showing us homestarrunner.

#6 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 20 March 2022 - 12:43 PM

honestly, i remember some website called pokemasters (which is surprisingly still up, i just checked),which is where i learned about irc. not sure if that was before or after neopets though. i also remember "all your base are belong to us" pretty early on.

#7 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 March 2022 - 05:51 PM

I think you just unlocked a core memory???

I remember seeing artwork of OoT Link and printing from my printer. I would look up Zelda CONSTANTLY. I was obsessed with Zelda.com and AnimalCrossing.com.

Computers were so new back then!

Edited by Jared, 20 March 2022 - 05:52 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#8 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 20 March 2022 - 09:23 PM

The earliest things I remember personally searching for were things related to games I had played at the time, which would have been PS1 games like Crash and Spyro and stuff, usually with my mom's permission (so usually very basic searches like www.Spyro.com). I think there may have been a couple games like Skullmonkeys and Abe's Oddysee that she didn't want me looking up because they were a little more edgy and I looked them up anyways when she wasn't around. :superevil:

#9 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 21 March 2022 - 05:00 PM

Plasticman's Rom Site

Well actually, there was something earlier when i used to walk to the library. Del Rey's Online Writing Workshop. I thought i was gonna be a author :/

Edited by BigJoe, 21 March 2022 - 05:01 PM.

#10 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 22 March 2022 - 12:14 PM

My very first website I registered at was Wizards of the Coast back when I was into Magic the Gathering cards. Not the game itself I just always liked the older artwork on them. I recall going to the chat room which was a role playing. I had no idea what role playing was at the time I just thought they were all crazy talking about being elves and stuff.

I found Zelda Classic not too long afterwords and spent a lot of time in the IRC chat, which I still remember was irc.initialized.org. It was a while before I registered here though. Even though I never got into ZC it was a very big part of my life back then as I spent most of the day online.

Back then WillBill was always active in chat. I’m glad to see many of the older members are still here such as Hergiswi, Ben, Anthus, and many more. But I sometimes whatever happened to others such as Jaivaz, Paden, and Exate.

Also any spelling or grammar errors in this post I blame autocorrect for, I am too lazy to proofread it on my phone.

Edited by Daniel, 22 March 2022 - 12:15 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#11 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 March 2022 - 05:31 PM

I used to answer customer service calls for them.  The second job I ever had was at a call center.  I don't miss it at all.

For me, my first experience with an online service was in the early 90s, which in a way is the internet, but in a much more limited capacity, and thus not a website or webpage.  That online service was known as Prodigy, which goes further back than AOL.  I think there was also Compuserve during that time.  This version of Prodigy was old enough to the point where it was accessed through MS-DOS.

My first experience with the world wide web though was within AOL, using their web browser, which I believe they called the Web Crawler.  So that predates even Netscape Navigator for me.  As for the first website, I couldn't remember that for the life of me.  It might have been AOL's website through the Web Crawler.  The internet was still pretty new back then for most who used it.

Great topic.  I miss the days where we had these a lot more.

Edited by Nathaniel, 22 March 2022 - 05:38 PM.

• Daniel and Anthus like this

#12 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:31 AM

Zelda Classic

• Anthus likes this

#13 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 26 March 2022 - 02:46 PM

I'm not sure... one of the earlier things I did was look up a walkthrough for Seiken Densetsu 3 after I got stuck. (I own the Japanese Super Famicom version of the game)

#14 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 26 March 2022 - 08:04 PM

First thing I remember seeing online was websites for game cheats and codes... And maybe the Nickelodeon website.

Thanks AOL.

Edited by Magi_Hero, 26 March 2022 - 08:05 PM.

#15 dagobert

dagobert

• Members

Posted 01 April 2022 - 12:30 PM

Well, I was allowed playing with the computer when I was 4.

Thanks to watching my father when he was on the computer, i had basic understanding of how it works.

I think I just clicked through recommended on YouTube until I saw a Rattatouie clip... but bass boosted.
Thats my first memory of the internet lol. :XD:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users