Photo

Zelda Densetsu 3 Tileset Project

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#16 Giggidy

Giggidy

We live for chaos so that we may die for ourselves.

• Banned

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

To be honest, I'm a bit bored today. My next task in my TMC-ripathon is to get dungeons done, and I dun wanna! *pout* Besides, fresh material to rip to shreds is always good fun.

Eh, why not. I'll see what else I can add.

#17 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

So Giggidy, how is the tileset going? How far do you think you are in it? Same thing with you Sheik unless you just started.

Edited by Keiichi123, 09 April 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#18 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

See for yourself.

#19 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

Ummm....how come it's a Notepad file with a bunch of random crap written in it?

EDIT: Never mind. Looking good so far. But about only about 5% done.

Edited by Keiichi123, 09 April 2011 - 03:22 PM.

#20 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

I work at my own pace, you could say. Why do I only work fast when it's stuff other people want done? *sigh*

#21 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE(Giggidy @ Apr 9 2011, 11:04 PM) View Post

To be honest, I'm a bit bored today. My next task in my TMC-ripathon is to get dungeons done, and I dun wanna! *pout* Besides, fresh material to rip to shreds is always good fun.

Eh, why not. I'll see what else I can add.

I'll PM you in a minute. The palettes for the OW are in Cset 2,3,4 and 9, pretty self explaing. The sprite palettes are just some messing around and will be replaced.

About how my progress is, I just ripped in the trees and had to painstaikingly redraw them because the rips weren't worth crap. Anyways, now there in the tileset and look good. Earlier, I ripped in some of the mountain-"overhangs" (hard to explain) and stairs. Also found some more ground detail, flowers namely. I've been working on the palette, too, but no big changes, just some colours got other gradients.

Edited by Sheik91, 09 April 2011 - 03:58 PM.

#22 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:13 PM

Rip smarter! Not harder.

Here's the simplified SD3 water I promised:

IPB Image

In original palette, using Cset4 of the provided image. They work in much the same way as my MC water rip, if you've ever tried working with those: Put the 16x16 blocks down on layer 0, then put the overlays onto layers 1 and 2. If the overlays will end up covering every tile, you can put one of them on layer 0 instead of a base tile. As an additional note, SD3 itself also uses horizontal flips of all the animations provided, but I didn't see any reason to include these with the exception of the shallow-deep borders.

I also didn't know how you wanted to handle grass-water transitions, as SD3's way isn't very zelda-friendly. So I left those out. *totally not lazy*

You can give a crack at recoloring these yourself, but I'll give my own attempt as soon as I open the set you sent me.

Edited by Giggidy, 09 April 2011 - 04:15 PM.

#23 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

That's great Giggidy, thank you loads. icon_smile.gif Well, if you want to recolour them yourself, than go ahead and do so icon_razz.gif Maybe you can send me the file back with the water tiles included? There were some very smexy waterfall tiles in one of NoeL's quest, I will search on my old laptop for it, chances are, that I still have a copy somewhere. His waterfalls looked much like the SD3 ones, they might've even been rips, but that I don't know.

Also, I made a screen (or modified one actually) to show-off the trees and the montain-overhangs (used to make cave entrances among other). Here it is:
IPB Image
Edit: Yes I see the tileerror with the stairs. They are one tile too short. Too bad.

Edited by Sheik91, 09 April 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#24 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

Personally, I always say "Zelda" rather than "Zeruda" because Zelda is not a Japanese word.

Suggestion: why not call it "Zelda Densetsu 3?" That would make it clearer that it is a Seiken Densetsu 3 tileset.

Your screenshots looks really good so far. I am starting to envy that subscreen frame a little. I have a hard time believing SD3 is easy to use, but it sounds like you are using it well. icon_smile.gif

#25 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Apr 10 2011, 01:11 AM) View Post

Personally, I always say "Zelda" rather than "Zeruda" because Zelda is not a Japanese word.

Suggestion: why not call it "Zelda Densetsu 3?" That would make it clearer that it is a Seiken Densetsu 3 tileset.

Your screenshots looks really good so far. I am starting to envy that subscreen frame a little. I have a hard time believing SD3 is easy to use, but it sounds like you are using it well. icon_smile.gif

Hey, "Zelda Densetsu 3" sounds pretty good! :> I will go with that, thanks!

Also, about the subscreen frame, Here you go. Credit goes to "Shawn" from TSR and Sword of Mana. But you can use mine, too, if you want to (unless I f***ed up the palette in the screenshot again, which happens to me every time for some weird-ish reasons).

Also:
IPB Image
Looks so much better.

Edit: Your "simple" LttP mountains are ten times harder to use than anything SD3 icon_razz.gif. To me at least.

Edited by Sheik91, 09 April 2011 - 05:25 PM.

#26 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

I know these aren't for screen design, but they aren't being used properly. For reference:

IPB Image

#27 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

Ah yeah, I kind of wanted to get it done quick to post the new water in action. But you are right. When I start making serious screens with the tileset I will study SD3 maps for reference.

#28 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Apr 9 2011, 04:23 PM) View Post
Hey, "Zelda Densetsu 3" sounds pretty good! :> I will go with that, thanks!

Also, about the subscreen frame, Here you go. Credit goes to "Shawn" from TSR and Sword of Mana. But you can use mine, too, if you want to (unless I f***ed up the palette in the screenshot again, which happens to me every time for some weird-ish reasons).

I'm glad you like the name! icon_smile.gif I see you already changed the thread title!

Thank you for the image. I like yours a little better because you removed the tree and it is easier to reduce the colors. I'm not sure whether I'll use it, but thanks. icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Apr 9 2011, 04:23 PM) View Post
Edit: Your "simple" LttP mountains are ten times harder to use than anything SD3 icon_razz.gif. To me at least.

"Simple LTTP Mountains" are only simple compared to other LTTP mountains. LTTP mountains are 3/4ths perspective, while most RPGs use layered mountains. Layered is much easier to use than 3/4ths.

However, compared to other layered mountains, SD3 mountains seem complicated. They look really good because of it, but still.

#29 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:50 PM

As nice as this looks, I'm skeptic on how it'll turn out. Mostly because SD3 used larger character sprits, and using big Link tiles always seems to make screens seem even more cramped. Normal sized 16x16 Link also seems just to small for the surrounding environment.

You've done a great job with it so far, although I'm not sure if this tileset will be as useful as it would initially appear. icon_unsettled.gif

#30 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:29 AM

Agreed. But with designs like in the shot I posted in Post#23 there shouldn't be the problem of crapmed-ness for big Link either. And I don't want a huge Link, like I said, 1,5 Tiles height should be enough to look decent imo. Still you have a point.

Edit:
So I've ripped in some of NoeL's stuff. Needless to say that all credit goes to him. Anways, these are his waterfalls and his big Link tiles. I don't want to keep either. The waterfalls, eventhough they work, look kind of off to me and the Link tiles, though extremly good looking, don't work too well with the tileset either. Anyways, it's not too bad and thus this is what it'll look for the time beeing until I get better tiles. If anyone has rips of the SD3 waterfalls I would be more than happy to have a look at them.

IPB Image

Also, excuse me for always using the same broing screen icon_razz.gif

Edited by Sheik91, 10 April 2011 - 03:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users