The Shadow Temple Redux

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Migokalle

Migokalle

Weeeeeeee!!

• Members

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:10 AM

I haven't shown too many screens from the Shadow Temple, Level 1 of The Hylian Phoenix, however it was about 60% complete when I decided I did not like what I had made. For some reason I lost focus sometime while making it, and it just ended up being a cluttered bunch of screens, some with secrets and some without... this is usually what a dungeon is, but I didn't feel it "clicked". It needed something more... it needed... substance.

That's why I decided to scrap my old temple, and do it over again. This time it won't be quite as large as first planned, though it will not be small either. I'm gonna try and make it just big enough. This is Level 1 after all, and it'll be about the same size as the three minidungeons you got to see in Demo 2. It also has a very cool new gimmick, though I do not think words would justify it. That's why I'm not going to tell you too much of how it works before we actually have it all ready. When it's ready I'll be showing off various videos. Nuvo have also made custom graphics for the boss in the temple, and while I'm not going to show it off just yet, let me tell you that it does look freaking awesome.

I do however have something to show you, and that's the entrance screen. There's not much to see here, but it's for the novelty of it:
IPB Image

Rest assured though, you will be able to see both the new dungeon gimmick and the boss in motion soon. We just need to finish it all up first. Demo 3 is still going to be released, though due to unexpected errors (laziness) I have not yet been able to complete all the areas needed in order to compile the demo. It'll come, but I will not say when, cause I hate giving myself deadlines unless I really have to (you can expect it to take the summer though, at least).

Now, on a slightly related note, should the header say "The Shadow Temple", or just "Shadow Temple" like it does now? By the way, that is not a string effect, no, the dungeon names will show up in a similar way to how they did it in Ocarina of Time. It's quite neat if I may say so myself :3

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

Whoa. That screen looks amazing! Personally, I thought the old Shadow Temple looked good, but if you can make it better, go for it.

Can you at least give us a hint of what the gimmick for it is? icon_razz.gif

#3 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

Looks good so far. I personally think it should just say "Shadow Temple," because articles can distract from the actual name. I must say, it's interesting how the first room in the shadow temple actually has light pouring into it. I'm willing to bet the player will wish to see the light again after he or she traverses deeper into the dungeon... Then again, I suppose you can't have shadows without light... anyway, I'm rambling. Looks good. icon_thumbsup.gif

#4 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

The improvements look good, can't wait for the next demo.

However, I agree the name "Shadow Temple" is the better of the two choices.

#5 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• Members

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

If I may give my opinion, names that follow the ________ Temple format are just plain boring. I know the dungeon name isn't as important as the gameplay, but couldn't you think of something more creative?

#6 Shane

Shane

• Members

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Jun 18 2010, 09:20 PM) View Post

If I may give my opinion, names that follow the ________ Temple format are just plain boring. I know the dungeon name isn't as important as the gameplay, but couldn't you think of something more creative?

Well 'Shadow' describes its theme and 'Temple' tells what type of place. Anyways this is OoT's Shadow Temple. Anyways you should make messages appear like in OoT's Shadow Temple.

#7 Migokalle

Migokalle

Weeeeeeee!!

• Members

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Jun 19 2010, 03:20 AM) View Post
Oh, don't get me wrong, I would love to come up with another name for it, but fact is that it is supposed to be the same temple from OoT (even though it doesn't exactly look the same). And that wouldn't really work if it was called "Clowntera Basin" or something else... besides, even though the overall look of it doesn't look too similar to the original temple, it does have some of the same features. For example, the first room in the temple forces you to find a way over to the other side of a large gap. I've been playing through the temple on my Nintendo 64 recently (yesterday I got to the temple) and I'm taking lots of notes. Being a journalist I am very used to taking notes, but I don't think I have ever taken this many. XD We're talking three full pages of A4 paper, and I'm still only halfway through the OoT dungeon. icon_razz.gif

But don't fret though, there will be dungeons with other names... there will also be dungeons that aren't "inside". I'm not going to go further into that however... not yet.

@Nicklegends:
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif Shadows are a central theme of the dungeon, and the main gimmick has a lot to do with it icon_razz.gif Expect to see us do some prettyt awesome stuff with it, perhaps some you didn't even know was possible to do in Zelda Classic. icon_wink.gif Of course, if shadows are an important part of it, light has to be too. I'll give you an example. In the first shot you saw, the window on the left will be covered with something. Link will have to remove this in order to make the light from the window hit the little "plate" infront of it, and when that happens, that eye will appear... and when that happens, a block will behin to travel back and fourth over the gap, giving Link an opportunity to get over himself icon_smile.gif

That's just one though, and it's not particularly impressive either... but I think some of the stuff we have deeper in is, or at least in my opinion.

Everyone else, thank you :3

#8 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:12 PM

You know what could be neat? Implement some falling celling rooms (like in the forest temple. And N64 wall masters (the hand that fall from the ceiling).

Edited by lucas92, 19 June 2010 - 01:12 PM.

#9 Migokalle

Migokalle

Weeeeeeee!!

• Members

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE(lucas92 @ Jun 19 2010, 07:12 PM) View Post
You know what could be neat? Implement some falling celling rooms (like in the forest temple. And N64 wall masters (the hand that fall from the ceiling).
Indeed, that would be kind of cool. It would be a little hard to pull off due to the overhead perspective though. You wouldn't be able to see where Link is, unless we made the falling ceiling transparent. It's not impossible though. I'll note it down and keep the idea for future dungeons, as the Shadow Temple has already been planned out completely.

It's gonna be around 40 screens. Does that sound like an okay number for a level 1? One of the dungeons you saw in Demo 2 was 43 screens (the Deepwoods Tower), but that wasn't a true level... it was more like a mandatory side-dungeon, you know? Anyways, unless a lot of people object to it, the Shadow Temple is going to be around the same size. Personally I wouldn't want to make Level 1 any bigger, because if I increase the size of the levels as you go further into the game, the final dungeon will end up being too huge. Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning on having too small dungeons in the game, but it's important to find a neat balance to it.

Either way, F1 of the temple is almost complete, so now there's only a few screens, plus B1 left. icon_smile.gif

#10 L33TSkillz

L33TSkillz

Junior

• Members

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

I've got a cool idea, how about making some things completely non-existent unless light is shined on them, and thus you could take light on and off things. That'd be a pretty awesome effect.

It'd be great if I'm hitting upon the gimmick, but it's more activation based isn't it?

#11 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• Members

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:09 PM

I wonder if your shadow temple will be as cruel and evil as mine is...

Is THP going to be a difficult quest or more towards medium difficulty?

#12 Shane

Shane

• Members

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:20 AM

Does your Shadow Temple have blood icon_razz.gif and loads of traps (like the blades).

Edited by Midnight_King, 22 June 2010 - 03:25 AM.

#13 Migokalle

Migokalle

Weeeeeeee!!

• Members

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Jun 22 2010, 09:20 AM) View Post
Does your Shadow Temple have blood icon_razz.gif and loads of traps (like the blades).
There'll be traps, though no blades. This is after all still Level 1, and it won't be too hard. No blood either. You see, in my rendition of the temple, it's more of a underworld'ish place, with blue fires and spirits/ghosts floating around... that is, in B1 anyway. F1 will look more like a "normal", though dark temple. I have taken a lot of inspiration from the original OoT temple though, for example the walls you could walk through, which will make an apperance. I'm rather satisfied with what I've got so far, and while I too like to have some extra gore, I don't think this is the right place to do so. Don't worry though, there's a dungeon later on that'll most likely have more than enough of it. icon_wink.gif I'm not going to reveal anything about that just yet though, as it's still quite a while until we'll get to that part.

B1 of the Shadow Temple will feature what I call the "sea of the dead", and it's where all the evil spirited creatures/people in the world are sent for their eternal slumber when they die. Hopefully it'll be a little scary, and I am adding a few... freaky sound effects. icon_wink.gif

#14 Shane

Shane

• Members

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Jun 22 2010, 09:35 AM) View Post

There'll be traps, though no blades. This is after all still Level 1, and it won't be too hard. No blood either. You see, in my rendition of the temple, it's more of a underworld'ish place, with blue fires and spirits/ghosts floating around... that is, in B1 anyway. F1 will look more like a "normal", though dark temple. I have taken a lot of inspiration from the original OoT temple though, for example the walls you could walk through, which will make an apperance. I'm rather satisfied with what I've got so far, and while I too like to have some extra gore, I don't think this is the right place to do so. Don't worry though, there's a dungeon later on that'll most likely have more than enough of it. icon_wink.gif I'm not going to reveal anything about that just yet though, as it's still quite a while until we'll get to that part.

B1 of the Shadow Temple will feature what I call the "sea of the dead", and it's where all the evil spirited creatures/people in the world are sent for their eternal slumber when they die. Hopefully it'll be a little scary, and I am adding a few... freaky sound effects. icon_wink.gif

This is why I love THP icon_razz.gif

#15 Migokalle

Migokalle

Weeeeeeee!!

• Members

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Jun 23 2010, 09:35 AM) View Post

This is why I love THP icon_razz.gif
Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

I actually went ahead and added some blood, as I didn't have room for too many other details in B1.
IPB Image
That's also the first look at the "sea of the dead". Notice all the details in the "water" icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users