1 screen massacre

• Please log in to reply
1045 replies to this topic

#391 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:00 AM

On the issue of the extra key, I don't really agree with having a locked door behind a Triforce room. The dungeon already teaches the player about walkthrough walls with the one required key, and the dungeon kind of ends once you get the bow and arrow, cause there's a key and the boss key right nearby, so you just rush straight to the boss with no detours. The dungeon starts off with a bang but ends with a whimper.

By requiring the player to make the detour to get the one last key, not only do you open up the opportunity to allow for some good puzzles requiring the bow before the boss, but it adds one last memorable thing to the dungeon by making sure the player goes through it, which is something that might be good for the dungeon as asides from the twisty up and down nature of the place and the one walkthrough wall, there's not much memorable about it.

Also, what would you reward the player with for their troubles? The Triforce piece justifies the trouble, but not something like a power bracelet or something (plus having a door right after the Triforce removes the oomph from "you've cleared he dungeon! Congrats!")

I think I agree with the majority of this, actually. I'd like to actually use the bow before the boss. I don't think the two puzzles we have already are quite enough. Of course, the puzzles don't all have to be bow and arrow puzzles, but still.

To be fair, if there were to be three doors in the boss room (as Lüt explained in his post), but even so, backtracking to the same dungeon immediately (or just continuing in a dungeon you've just beaten, pretty much) could be a little frustrating.

That said, I'm a fan of optional backtracking, so if we had a hint that you need a future item (like a path blocked off by a hammer and a key or something), then that would be more interesting to me at least.

Another option is making every dungeon (at least main dungeons) have a bonus section when you're done. So you can do part of it for the game, and then you can do some more for a bonus. Maybe make the reward of each like 'sword pieces' or something (where, of course, you get the magic/master sword for getting all 8‌). Could have that with the optional backtracking option as well, to be fair. [EDIT: We already have something like this for Misery Ruins, now that I realise. So I don't see why we couldn't do it for everything else. just as long as it doesn't feel shoehorned. Not necessarily sure if the sword pieces idea is the best, but I think we need something with more oomph than heart pieces. Extra heart containers would be a bit too much, though, I think.]

EDIT: Just playing through, and I've noticed a couple things.

First, apparently in my Goriya screen, he doesn't show up outside the tent. I assume there's no way to make him appear outside without ruining all of the other caves? If so, I'd rather he be outside, but if not, I can make the interior of Gori's House of Horrors and put him in the first room.

Second, we've been forgetting to put no ground enemy flags on the sky. m1s27 looks rather silly with a darknut walking around on nothing.

Edited by klop422, 19 May 2018 - 12:08 PM.

#392 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:31 PM

https://discord.gg/WQeSTbF

Made a discord server. Come on in :)

Edited by Dimentio, 19 May 2018 - 05:21 PM.

• Anthus, Shane and Formidable like this

#393 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:48 PM

And with one fell swoop, the forum is now dead. :P

• Shane and Deedee like this

#394 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:26 AM

Sorry for the wait; my screen's just taking a bit longer than normal. I'm making mine on Map 2 Screen 73, so if anyone wants to make another screen elsewhere in the meantime, feel free.

• Anthus likes this

#395 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

Sorry for the wait; my screen's just taking a bit longer than normal. I'm making mine on Map 2 Screen 73, so if anyone wants to make another screen elsewhere in the meantime, feel free.

I would, but I'm about to go to a birthday party.

#396 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

I would, but I don't feel like it.

#397 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:57 PM

Here is a tentative credits list. Please post corrections/ additions/ stuff we may have missed! :)

--Main Idea--

• peteandwally

--Screen Designers--

• Anthus
  • BigJoe
  • Dairyking
  • Dimentio
  • FormidableMathematics
  • HeroOfFire
  • klop422
  • Lüt
  • Moosh
  • Orithan
  • peteandwally
  • Shane
  • Shoshon the Elegant
  • strike
  • SUCCESSOR
  • TheRock
  • Yloh
  • Zaxarone

--Script Support--

• Dimentio
  • Lüt
  • Moosh
  • Saffith

--Extra Tiles--

• Anthus
  • Cukeman
  • Dimentio
  • FormulatedMathematic
  • klop422
  • Lightwulf
  • Lüt
  • Moosh
  • Nintendo
  • Orithan
  • Shane

• peteandwally, klop422, Deedee and 2 others like this

#398 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:31 AM

Wait is real 2401

R13TGNB.png

-Completely rescripted Water from the ground up, fixing countless bugs and opening up worlds of new possibility.

-Added a minigame-puzzle-thing.

-Fixed a bug with slower-movement mechanics. My version of LinkMovement.zh.

-Finally fixed Diagonal Walls; they've been broken for a few updates. To use them just place the respective of 4 combos under "Diag" on either layer 0, 1, or 2.

-Fixed Form's cameo string. It used Klop's string before.

-Fixed a bug with Boko Baba's drowning you.

You can download all the headers on the discord if you so wish.

https://www.dropbox....M2-S73.qst?dl=1

• Anthus likes this

#399 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:38 AM

[Claim]

Edited by Orithan, 21 May 2018 - 02:38 AM.

• Deedee likes this

#400 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:40 PM

Just played through a few screens. The normal bombs in level 1, map 2 s 72 need to be changed out to bomb ammo, and the prismatic depths are inescapable. If that's all intended, then okee doke!

• Anthus likes this

#401 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:22 PM

zelda089.png

Quest file

Alllright. Time to cover a few changes.

-> Script files are again repackaged with the qst file

-> Added in Maps 51 through to 57. This will house Level 5's interior and have 6 layers for each screen in case people want to use all 6 layers. This would also probably work for another dungeon.

-> DMap 15 is now being used; for longer Monstro Carnival Caves.
-> Bait is now selectable in the Active Subscreen. The Active Subscreen has been reconfigured to reflect this addition.

-> Added in Bait (Ice Cream) (Item 128). It functions as a single-use bait that lasts for 5 seconds. There is a new shop type that sells it.

-> Added in a dummy Boomerang for Goryias to use once Link acquires the Bananarang, so the Goryias don't switch to using the Bananarang when Link picks it up. This occurs if you give the item through pickup; if you give it to Link through cheats, be sure to also give the dummy boomerang or the Goryias will be throwing bananas.

-> The OG Bait item is unusable in any of Monstro Carnival; as any outside food and drink are prohibited from being carried in. You have to use the newly introduced Ice Cream bait item.

-> Fixed the issue where Goryias would throw Bananarangs instead of regular boomerangs before you acquired the Bananarang. In the process, I discovered that Boomerang EWeapons are hardcoded to use Sprite 4 (Default: L1 Boomerang sprite) if Link does not have a Boomerang.

-> Bananarang now has an item pickup message.

Edited by Orithan, 22 May 2018 - 06:25 AM.

• Anthus, peteandwally and Deedee like this

#402 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:24 PM

[claim]

#403 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:31 AM

Download Link

Ktsvn2v.png

Map 01, Screen 00

Notes:

• Added Scroll: Hurricane Spin

• Anthus likes this

#404 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:33 AM

[Claim]

EDIT: Turns out I couldn't finish it in the half hour I had, thought I could. Should be a couple more hours. Sorry!

Also, there are no good MIDIs for Lego Racers' Knightmare-athon. I may have to create one myself. For now I've put in the one from VGmusic, but it's missing some of the counterpoint and some of the tune.

EDIT: So here we are, then:

crcc72j0qmj81kr4g.jpg

I know it's barely a screen and hardly worth the ~6 hours it took to upload, but I made door combos for the loveliest of csets. Don't use regular locked doors, because you can't see the key on the door (and also it would also let you use your tickets in the door itself, which doesn't make that much sense), and bombed walls are disgusting. The rest look regularly bad, though passable. The cset seemed like the best choice, ok? (but really, I think it works)

Also, I moved Gori into his house of horrors, because he didn't show up outside. Just to be clear, by the way, this (and probably the rest of Gori's House of Horrors) uses the 'knightmare' track as a screen MIDI, but is/are still part of Monstro Carnival Cav.

Also, I changed the outside of the building so it fits better with the inside:

k7l5dufd6uz9usd4g.jpg

The room feels a bit empty now that I know there's no Goriya to fill it. I might add some more stuff later, but for now it'll have to do.

http://www.mediafire...422-m51-s54.qst

Edited by klop422, 22 May 2018 - 07:58 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#405 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

[Claim]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users