Open Assets for ZC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:15 PM

I've been collecting assets to use in a non-infringing ZC release. I would like to involve more people in the project to assemble a complete assets package, which involves sound effects, music, and graphics.

If anyone is interested, you can grab the present package of Open Assets, and join in.

Some Hard Rules

All assets must be from a source where there is no license restriction. I have been gathering sounds from freesound.org.

All original authors must be denoted. I do not care if this is retained in the filename (my method), or in a separate text file.

Original compositions in any of the categories are welcome. Any content from a copyrighted/commercial product, will be automatically rejected.

Sound Effects

The archive above organises sounds by their designated use. You can play them all, see what we have, and what we lack, as I have made directories for each intended sound effect, and event. We are still missing some key sound effects, and choosing them to fit the end-result assets modules will be time consuming.

It does not however, hurt to have a wide selection per SFX category.

Music

Original Music, in MIDI, and SPC/NSF formats. The base requirements are:

• Intro

• Overworld

• Level

• Boss

• 'Level 9'

• Game Ending

Obviously, more music is better. i would like to have each track available both as a MIDI, and as an Enhanced type. Enhanced types should be in a chiptune format, not MP3/OGG.

Graphics

We have a license to Koten, courtesy of DragonDePalatino. We do however, need to retouch enemies, and the player sprites.

I would like to see a variety of player sprite options, male and female; possi bly other creatures too (e.g. Dragon player sprites).

Likewise, if anyone is interested in creating original tilesets, we would be pleased to include more than one or two as options in the editor. I might poke Mabus to see if we can use his Midgard tileset.

In general, I would like to see the following at some point as included assets packages, as both 4-colour and 16-colour:

• NES Style Fantasy

• SNES Style Fantasy

• Sideview Games

• Hi-Tech (Sci-Fi)

• Puzzle Game

Obviously, the priority is on 4-colour and 16-colour graphical assets that work like Koten/Classic/BSZ.

For the present, what we need for Koten, are replacements for potentially infringing npcs, bosses, and Link.

I have also started working on modules/templates for Zelda-themed quests, that do use infringing assets. These will be add-on (e.g. downloadable modules) content in the future.

• Neppy, Russ, strike and 4 others like this

#2 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

Well, I do have in the works an NSF of general rpg music, which will include (and mostly already has) a title theme, overworld, battle (which could be a miniboss), town, mini game, dungeon, boss encounter, boss, and credits. The boss encounter theme, as it is, would likely work as a final dungeon theme. It should also be trivial for me to transcribe it to MIDI.
If you want, I'll send you the incomplete NSF to see if it's what you're looking for.
Also, if you do want to use this, I would prefer to release it under a Creative Comons licence (basically gives me a couple rights, like for example saying whether anyone can use it for money-making purposes), where, obviously, I would allow anyone using ZC to use the soundtrack. T
Of course, there are a good few CC licences, so it could be discussed.

Edited by klop422, 27 August 2017 - 11:06 AM.

#3 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

Well, I do have in the works an NSF of general rpg music, which will include (and mostly already has) a title theme, overworld, battle (which could be a miniboss), town, mini game, dungeon, boss encounter, boss, and credits. The boss encounter theme, as it is, would likely work as a final dungeon theme. It should also be trivial for me to transcribe it to MIDI.
If you want, I'll send you the incomplete NSF to see if it's what you're looking for.
Also, if you do want to use this, I would prefer to release it under a Creative Comons licence (basically gives me a couple rights, like for example saying whether anyone can use it for money-making purposes), where, obviously, I would allow anyone using ZC to use the soundtrack. T
Of course, there are a good few CC licences, so it could be discussed.

Sure. If you upload them as a ZIP and send a link, I'll review them.

#4 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

I've sent you it in a pm, so you should have it now.

Not quite related question, but is there going to have to be a new 1st and 2nd quests? Because I'm not sure about copyright laws and such, but a plain reskin of a game with the same functionality seems to me like it may be a breach. I may be wrong.

#5 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

I support this project and I think we should do all that we can to move ZC in this direction. Fangames are cool and all, but they're a huge legal pitfall. Distancing ourselves from our "fangame engine" status would be a huge boon to the game dev community.

I'll see what I can do for spritework. I might be able to base enemies off existing Zelda sprites... ish. More like matching style by combining and tweaking. I'm a decent spriter and could probably swing some decent sprites.

Edited by Beefster, 09 December 2017 - 12:49 PM.

#6 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:10 PM

Feel free to take anything you like from Linked Seasons. It's all original art.

#7 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:13 PM

Really good idea. I'll try to whip up some NPC tiles. I don't have any experience with ZC so someone may need to port them to the actual ZQuest format. Here are my questions:

1. What style it is? (3-color or 15-color) (NES or SNES)

2. It will use unused enemies? (Such as ice wizzrobe, lv2 aquamentus, whistle pol, etc.)

3. I have free rein over which replacements to choose or there is a predetermined list of what to draw?

If I have free rein...

4. I can replace some sprites that are "generic" (such as candle, recorder, etc.) with more original ideas (such as instead of a recorder that makes a loud noise it's a remote control that can trigger some electric-based secrets and make robot enemies haywire) but acting the same under the hood? This way it resembles Zelda ripoff less.

#8 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:47 PM

Also, what open-source tilesets can we use that are on PureZC?

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:05 AM

Also, what open-source tilesets can we use that are on PureZC?

There are two:

Licensed under the CC-BY-SA-4.0 license.
https://www.purezc.n...=tilesets&id=87

A derivative, and thus, the licence carries over:

https://www.purezc.n...=tilesets&id=95

These need to be sanitised, removing some specific references, and reskinning enemies/Link, before they are truly usable for us, so, if you are looking for a winter project, have at it. ;)

There are some WIP tilesets that may be open to us in the future, but I have no way to know if/when they will ever be completed.

We're also working on a Z3-style module, which would of course not qualify for our 'open assets' needs, but we'll make it available as a separate download.

You should probably read the Open Assets Competition contest information thread, and continue any responses in that topic.

I'm not sure that this thread needs to continue existing, as all discussion on open ZC assets should occur there, and be in one place.

• P-Tux7 likes this

#10 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:05 AM

Thanks. Actually, the Z3 module is not illegal at all if you don't use the Z3 graphics or characters.

Sorry, but I'm not that good at tiles, just characters. I was just asking to see which style to use for my character submission.

Also, how do I edit the graphics outside of Zelda Classic? Also, is there a download for all default graphics (so I can reskin the enemies, items, and the default 3 sizes of Link)?

#11 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:19 AM

Also, how do I edit the graphics outside of Zelda Classic?

Graphics Gale. Best option for editing ZC graphics IMO. There are a few little tutorials in my sig.
  • P-Tux7 likes this

#12 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:44 AM

Graphics Gale. Best option for editing ZC graphics IMO. There are a few little tutorials in my sig.

Thanks! Is there an image of the ZC default graphics (both NES Animation and New Animation, as well as consisting of 1616, 16x24, and 32x32 Link sizes)? ZC crashes on my computer except for 2.10 and since I'm not interested in quest making anyways all I need are the graphcs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users