Photo

Screenshot of the Week 308

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (47 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

cremeens1000
IPB Image
Scene in the meadow.

ZeeLiam
IPB Image
No open corners? What's gotten into you, Liam?

Orin XD
IPB Image
An advanced shot of Diamond Quest. This screen exudes a real creepy atmosphere.

#2 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:50 PM

Wow, a 3-way tie!

I voted for cremeens1000, but gameplay-wise it's not a good idea to put that tree next to that bridge.

#3 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:37 AM

Ya know, I submitted a shot to get this contest on. I null'd due to entering.

Creemens1000: Using a MC-styled tileset, it looks nicley done. I would have voted for you if I hadn't entered. 8/10.

ZeeLiam: Yet another winter shot, it doesn't look too bad, except the open corner in the bottom left. 7/10.

Myself: This is a test shot of an overworld in Diamond quest. I plan on not letting you access the Serfasco Contient until after you have you have completed L6 and after you complete a very importaint event in the storyline. I am also experimenting with something that Scwha suggested: overlapping heart and magic tiles in the subscreen. I hope you like it icon_wink.gif

#4 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:47 AM

Oh my god, I can't wait to play your games, the shots are amazing! icon_biggrin.gif

cremeens1000 - 9/10
Yeah, that's minish-cap-feeling, I love it. Great shot!

ZeeLiam - 8/10
Another very good winter-GB-style-shot, good work.

Orin XD - 6/10
That atmosphere really feels creepy. But I personaly don't really like color-less shots. But it's nevertheless a very good shot.
(And just because I'm interested: What are the X- and Y- buttons for?)

#5 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

All very impressive...but Orin XD took my breath away...good job one and all.

#6 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:08 AM

PSP = Shorthand.

Cremeens - Love it, voted.
Zee - Open corner (assuming this was on purpose from the caption?), and tile error beside the cave.
Orin - Great.

#7 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

cremeens1000:
Once again, you shouldn't squish your screen down. Just take it in ZC or in Small Mode. It ruins the picture. Now, for the screen itself, it looks good. Perhaps a little cluttered, but it's fairly good. Like mentioned, the tree at the bridge is a hindrance. I'd remove it to open it up, and it may even help with the clutteredness. (It'll be a word one day) Also, on there's a problem on the left side; when the player enters the screen, they'll be immediately blocked by the water/bridge. You want to leave them at least 2 tiles of walking space when the immediately enter the screen. Great work, though. icon_smile.gif

ZeeLiam:
Nice shot here. The detail is nice, varied and pleasing to the eye. It seems open enough to let the player actually move. I don't mind the open corner myself, since I don't really understand why every corner needs to be covered in every screen. Anyways, one mistake I noticed is the mountain usage. Unless I'm mistaken, the mountain height is inconsistent at the top. On the right, it's two tiles high where the rest is three. Nicely done. icon_smile.gif

Orin XD:
Solid design here. I like the screen itself, but I'm not fond of the colours. It feels too monotonous, so I'd try to get a little more colour in there. They don't need to be bright, cheery colours, but something to break the main colours a bit. I don't know if it's just me, but the grass seems a little odd to me. I can't put my finger on exactly what, though. I also found the diagonal mountain in the bottom left a little odd, as it seems like it's just there to fill the corner. either move it in a little so that a little more is visible and it doesn't come across as odd or replace it with something else. (Not sure how that would effect other screens, though) It's a good shot, though. Nicely done. icon_smile.gif

#8 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

cremeens1000 - 7/10
My vote for this week. Very nice screen. Well detailed, and well thought out. I just hope one day to see some action in them. I agree about the tree being too close to the bridge, although I think it would be good just one tile over.

ZeeLiam - 7/10
Looks more together and meaningful than your previous entry. It flows better, and feels a bit more natural. Still has an open corner though, since ice, although slippery, is walkable. However, not bad enough to lose a point from me. You know I have to give you a hard time, though icon_razz.gif

Orin XD - 6/10
A decent DoR screen. Not bad, but not the best either. I sort of like the color scheme and the set up activity, although I still think it's not quite as interesting as the other two. Duller colors usually don't mix well with bright colors, thus link and the enemies feel a bit inconsistent with the scenery. A more earthtoned link I think would be better, assuming your entire quest has similar scenery. The one advantage over the others though is your subscreen and theirs lacking one.

#9 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

cremeens1000: A pretty solid shot but, you used the wrong tree tops. Those tree tops are supposed to be used with the snow palette. A few solid objects are too close to the edges as well and might make switching screens a bit annoying.

ZeeLiam: The layout of this screen just feels awkward to me for some reason. There seems to be too much solid objects in the centre of the screen and makes it feel... strange. Try putting less solid stuff in the middle and more solid stuff in the corners.

Orin XD: This screen is fairly average, nothing too special. I find the palette really takes away from the shot, it is dull and boring, and everything is the same color.

#10 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

Cremeens: Perfection.
ZeeLiam: Nice, but a bit too open.
Orin: Very nice, but the grass is a bit too repetitive. Try adding some more dirt.

Voted for Cremeens.

#11 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

Cremeens, I would've given you my vote. But the resolution of that screen is terrible. :/ Overall screen design gets 8/10 from me.

Zeeliam, good, but nothing too special. 7/10

Orin XD, 7/10 and votes. Kind of a boring shot, but I like to see new palettes.

#12 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

Cremeens100: I really hate the MC tileset. Not because it's bad, but because it's so good that it's nearly impossible to tell how much effort went into making a screen in it. Trying my best, I'd say this is a 7/10.
ZeeLiam: Hmm. It's a nice shot but ZOMGOPENCORNERREDALERTREDALERT0/10! Ahem...Um...8/10. Had to ding ya for the open corner.
OrinXD: I like. I don't know why I like, but I just do. 9/10.

#13 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE(Evile @ Jan 19 2011, 01:41 PM) View Post

cremeens1000: A pretty solid shot but, you used the wrong tree tops. Those tree tops are supposed to be used with the snow palette. A few solid objects are too close to the edges as well and might make switching screens a bit annoying.

ZeeLiam: The layout of this screen just feels awkward to me for some reason. There seems to be too much solid objects in the centre of the screen and makes it feel... strange. Try putting less solid stuff in the middle and more solid stuff in the corners.

Orin XD: This screen is fairly average, nothing too special. I find the palette really takes away from the shot, it is dull and boring, and everything is the same color.

I didn't know those where supposed to be used in snow palettes. I used them because they looked detailed. oh well, It was just a screen to look pretty and enter into the contest. Not a screen to put in a quest.

#14 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

cremeens1000: Nice, solid shot. No complaints.

ZeeLiam: Tile error in the mountain, but other than that, not a bad shot.

OrinXD: I really dislike the palette, but the design is alright.

Went with cremeens this week.

#15 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

@Everyone who commented on my shot: Thanks for the feedback; I needed it. As this was a test shot, I was a little concerned about the pallete I used. Funny thing is that I used an existing pallete; the OW Dark Wastes, with recoloured grass. As to why I chose this type of pallete, It was supposed to convey a sense of a ruined land filled with ghosts (the Whispies) and the dead (Stalfos, Gidbos, ect...) after the damage that the Whispy Massacares caused. The rest of the overworld areas; the Terrifirma, Blizzard and Volcano Contients are all bright and cheery. Two things I can do is make a new pallete altogether for this area and hang a transaculent veil of darkness over the land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users