8 replies to this topic

#1 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:07 PM

I am using ZC 2.53 on a 2.5.2 quest on Windows 10
 unknown.png
For some reason, the map on the ZQuest editor fails to show the screens I have made, making it extremely awkward to work with.
Is there a way to fix this?

#2 Tabletpillow

Tabletpillow

Hi

• Members

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:50 PM

Seems like the default map color is black.

Maybe change the invalid data to static in the options.

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:28 PM

What happens if, on any screen, you press any of the number keys? 1 through 0? Do the boxes change color?

In the quest I'm working on, I differentiate between screens that are just layers in one color and the playable screens in whatever other color they're on. If black is your default color, looks like you can only go up from there.

Plus, what's your main pallet like? Is it from any other tileset we're familiar with, like DoR or EZGBA?

#4 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:08 AM

Seems like the default map color is black.

Maybe change the invalid data to static in the options.

It does fix itself when I choose static mode, but the static is (imo) hard to look at - so I prefer to not use that setting.

What happens if, on any screen, you press any of the number keys? 1 through 0? Do the boxes change color?

In the quest I'm working on, I differentiate between screens that are just layers in one color and the playable screens in whatever other color they're on. If black is your default color, looks like you can only go up from there.

Plus, what's your main pallet like? Is it from any other tileset we're familiar with, like DoR or EZGBA?

I'm using the Dull Caves palette for the VD tileset - I know see the cause of this issue. But I suppose the point now could be that this is quite inconvenient since the only two options for invalid data is either pitch black or static. Maybe a third option could help?

• Jared likes this

#5 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:20 AM

The first few palettes on any list are fine. They tend to select the first two colours of the palette (only one colour for the first palette on the list) but as you go down, they decide to go with a strong purple or black. It is not hugely problematic, but it is a bit jarring to work with at times, especially with the black boxes. Was there a palette list expansion at some point during Zelda Classic development and the coloured boxes were just not considered any longer? Referencing the Classic tileset, it seems the boxes kind of go to said purple or black after the Night (00C) palette.

This isn't a must fix, but it would be a nice one. Even just being able to differentiate areas with different palettes on the map menu would be an improvement to quest development. Static is an option, sure, but that doesn't fix the issue, that's just avoiding the problem.

I don't know how hard it would be for such a small issue, but either make the little boxes consistent with all palettes or maybe make the invalid data for non-static have something else? Dunno, just shooting ideas at this point.

• ShadowTiger, Jared and Joelmacool like this

#6 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:13 AM

Food for thought - Right-clicking anywhere within the minimap in ZQuest does absolutely nothing.  I wouldn't be the person to ask as to how difficult it would be to make that right-clickable or configure options for the minimap screens, but that seems like the place to put a way to configure what color each square would be as an override. :shrug: ... assuming people wanted an override.

Anyway, small potatoes, yes. 

• Jared and Joelmacool like this

#7 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 September 2019 - 03:10 AM

Ok, I figured it out. Palette 050 (Dull Caverns in VD) uses colour 2,2 in the Main palette (also 2,2 in palette 000) for both its primary and secondary (the dot in the middle) colour. Set that to something non-black and you'll be able to see your progress.

EDIT: And just for those that are interested, ZQuest generates the map palette data by taking 2,2 (primary) and 3,1 (secondary) from palettes 000 to 00F and stores them in csets 12 and 13 respectively. Once you get to palette 010 the pattern repeats, so you can only have 16 unique identifiers.

One exception, however, is palettes that end in 0 (including Dull Caverns in VD). As this was originally the overworld palette, ZQuest only shows the primary colour (2,2) and not the secondary.

So, for any tileset creator that cares about this:

1) Put your overworld palettes in slots that end in 0.

2) Put the signature dungeon colour in slot 2,2 of its palette.

3) Put the dungeon water/lava colour in slot 3,1 of its palette.

Edited by NoeL, 29 September 2019 - 03:26 AM.

• ShadowTiger and Twilight Knight like this

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:22 AM

I made a modified build to display a grid on overworld ranked palettes.

I'd appreciate it if people would open a number of quests in this, and tell me if it is effective and not a problem:

http://timelord.inso...ours/zquest.exe

This is a 2.53.0 build.

I need users to please test this with a lot of palettes.

mapgridcolour.png

mapgridcolour2.png

White-boxed screens are valid.

-----------------------------------------

This is the code block set that normally governed this: I'm open to other suggestions.

My changes, for the above build, are here.

if(Map.Scr(i)->valid&mVALID)
                {
                    //vc(0)
                    rectfill(menu1,(i&15)*3*BMM+minimap.x+3,(i/16)*3*BMM+minimap.y+12,
                             (i&15)*3*BMM+(is_large?8:2)+minimap.x+3,(i/16)*3*BMM+minimap.y+12+(is_large?8:2), lc1((Map.Scr(i)->color)&15));

if(((Map.Scr(i)->color)&15)>0)
                    {
                        if(!is_large)
                            putpixel(menu1,(i&15)*3*BMM+1+minimap.x+3,(i/16)*3*BMM+minimap.y+12+1,lc2((Map.Scr(i)->color)&15));
                        else
                            rectfill(menu1,(i&15)*3*BMM+2+minimap.x+4,(i/16)*3*BMM+minimap.y+11+4,(i&15)*3*BMM+2+minimap.x+6,(i/16)*3* BMM+minimap.y+11+6, lc2((Map.Scr(i)->color)&15));
                    }
                }
                else
                {
                    if(InvalidStatic)
                    {
                        for(int dy=0; dy<3*BMM; dy++)
                        {
                            for(int dx=0; dx<3*BMM; dx++)
                            {
                                menu1->line[dy+(i/16)*3*BMM+minimap.y+12][dx+(i&15)*3*BMM+minimap.x+3]=vc((((rand()%100)/50)?0:8)+(((rand()%100)/50)?0:7));
                            }
                        }
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        rectfill(menu1, (i&15)*3*BMM+minimap.x+3, (i/16)*3*BMM+minimap.y+12,
                                 (i&15)*3*BMM+minimap.x+3+(1+BMM*BMM), (i/16)*3*BMM+minimap.y+12+(1+BMM*BMM), vc(0));
                    }
                }

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:09 AM

The first few palettes on any list are fine. They tend to select the first two colours of the palette (only one colour for the first palette on the list) but as you go down, they decide to go with a strong purple or black. It is not hugely problematic, but it is a bit jarring to work with at times, especially with the black boxes. Was there a palette list expansion at some point during Zelda Classic development and the coloured boxes were just not considered any longer? Referencing the Classic tileset, it seems the boxes kind of go to said purple or black after the Night (00C) palette.

This isn't a must fix, but it would be a nice one. Even just being able to differentiate areas with different palettes on the map menu would be an improvement to quest development. Static is an option, sure, but that doesn't fix the issue, that's just avoiding the problem.

I don't know how hard it would be for such a small issue, but either make the little boxes consistent with all palettes or maybe make the invalid data for non-static have something else? Dunno, just shooting ideas at this point.

Fixed the issue with 'purple/violet' being pulled for palettes ending in 0x*E or 0x*F.

I also added some hotkeys:

The keys used to change the current CSet (- and =, but let's call them MINUS and PLUS)
now allow changing the Level Palette by +/-1 or +/-16, in addition to working on CSet as before.

• Unmodified Minus: Reduce CSet by One
  • Unmodified Plus: Increase CSet by One
  • Shift Modified Minus: Reduce Level Palette By One
  • Shift Modified Plus: Increase Level Palette By One
  • Control Modified Minus: Reduce Level Palette by 16
  • Control Modified Plus: Increase Level Palette by 16

This allows rotating level palettes in banks.

Example: You are on Palette 1, and want to move to a darker level 1 palette that is three sets away. Press Control-and-+ thrice.

This requires the tileset to use the intended palette system structure where 0x*0 is for overworlds, 0x*1 through 0x*9 are for dungeons, and 0x*A through 0x*F are for extra dungeons (e.g. L10+ or caves/interior).

I also added  hotkey (%) for LPal 15, which was missing: We had hotkeys for palettes 0 through 14. 

• ShadowTiger and Shane like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users