What media player software do you use?

Software Video Audio Player

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

I'm pretty sure I've done this topic before, but it has been a while and I've definitely changed my choices since before. What media player software do you use for playing music, videos, and such?

Annoyingly, I have to use four different pieces of software to do everything I want without making compromises. I am picky like that. :(

• MusicBee - MusicBee is a media player that acts a lot like Mediamonkey and iTunes, only it doesn't seem to have the bloat and it's entirely free. I use it for playing most of my music that isn't in more exotic formats. I keep flipping between this and AIMP as my primary music player, but MusicBee seems to be better for managing larger libraries of music.
  • MPC-BE - I use MPC-BE (not to be confused with the more popular fork called MPC-HC) for all of my offline video playing. I also use it to play Youtube videos directly from the URLs sometimes, but it's not as good as a different player I use entirely for that purpose.
  • foobar2000 - I primarily use this for playing MIDIs, trackers, or emulator music. I really wish I could use this as my primary media player since I did use it for a good while, but it gets really sluggish with my enormous music collection.
  • SMPlayer with MPlayer - Flash doesn't like my computer that well and is prone to heating it up really quickly, so I use SMPlayer to play most Youtube videos I come across. As an added bonus, I save custom playlists of video urls for LPs so I can watch them in marathons without having to worry about whether the LPer made their own playlist or not. I used to use SMPlayer as my primary video player with MPlayer2, but the only two Windows builds of MPlayer2 I've come across are a bit out of date now and don't support some of the recent video encodes I watch. :shrug:

So what software do you all use? Hopefully it isn't so much stuff since I admit I'm a little ridiculous here. :(

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Nonsense. If you're able to sense specialization from what isn't even that common-place, my hat is off to you sir. Before my midi folder vanished somewhere to the depths of eternity, I used MPlayer2 for Midis and MP3s, VCL Lite for almost anything else, and Windows Media Player for those MP3s that wouldn't seem to work in either of the other two for whatever dark and unholy reason. ModPlug plays sm3 and IT files, and I didn't have any other needs besides that. Hell, I still don't. WMP covers just about everything.

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

I use VLC. For everything. Except music, then I use iTunes. VLC is for all video files.

#4 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

Video's VLC
Music Winamp
             ^
    I recommend

Edited by LTTP, 20 June 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#5 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

I use the following-

Windows Media Player - Just for music.

VLC - For all my videos and some music types I can't play.

And on Linux Mint I use -

Banshee - Same as WMP.

VLC -  Same as VLC on Windows.

I try to keep it simple. :P

#6 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Though Windows Media Player gets a bad reputation, I always find myself going back to it, that is however with the K-Lite codec package though, it's absolutely useless without it. 

#7 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

I am shocked no one uses Winamp o.0

• TheLegend_njf likes this

#8 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

I use multiple players for different things.

MP3s: Windows Media Player.  It does what I need it to do, though I wish it would adjust the volume with the scroll wheel.

Videos: Media Player Classic.  I watch a lot of anime, and MPC is lightyears better than VLC for that.  Plus I like clicking on the video to pause it.

Online Radio: Winamp.  It's got a lot of annoying quirks, and that sort of keeps me from using it as my main audio player.

Other stuff: VLC, since it can play almost anything.

#9 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:25 AM

iTunes.

Because it's not slow on OS X, even on fairly weak hardware, since it doesn't also have to separately load a lot of UI stuff, and my Windows box is really fast and doesn't have a problem with it in spite of the bloat. I have (deprecated, but still functional) plugins to add support for file types such as OGG.

Also I like being able to sync my iOS devices without any hassle.

#10 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:38 AM

Media Player Classic - Home Cinema: This is used for playing back video files as it is the only media player that I know of to feature a Direct3D fullscreen display mode that avoids the stutter fest that Vsync+DWM causes (DWM is functionality exclusively found within Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 and isn't a part of MPC-HC).

Winamp: Is used for all my music plugin needs.

I don't think I use any other media players...

#11 Hoff123

Hoff123

The Hoff :)

• Members

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

WINDOWS

Windows Media Player: You all know what this is, lol. I've never had a problem with it.

* VLC: Come on, it's the best free open source media player ever :).

LINUX

Clementine: Clementine is freaking awesome! It's like a simpler(but still has a lot of features) version of Amarok(google it).

* VLC: If you use Linux, not using free open source software would be pretty weird haha. And as I said, what better free open source media player is there, then VLC?

Edited by Hoff123, 21 June 2013 - 07:31 AM.

• grayswandir likes this

#12 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Oh wow, Clementine looks nice.

#13 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

I still use Winamp on Windows; I love the "right click -> enqueue" feature. Though if a video is being a pain in the ass I'll just open it in Windows Media Player and it's usually fine. On Fedora I usually just use VLC Player

#14 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

My friends give me a lot of crap about it, but I tend to use Windows Media Player. I use VLC for the occasional video that WMP can't run, but honestly, I don't see anything bad about Media Player. It does what it's supposed to, very quickly and very simply. :shrug:

#15 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

Winamp is my media player of choice. I've got several plug ins for old game music formats, so I can listen to a bunch in one player. Though for some videos, I'll run it through VLC instead.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Software, Video, Audio, Player

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users