Myrule - Discussion and help thread

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

Hey, this is the thread for my quest Myrule which you can find in the database, here: http://www.purezc.ne...e=quests&id=473

q473s1.png q473s3.png

This quest is on the shorter side, I made it in about 3 weeks. It should be pretty difficult to get stuck in it, but you can use this thread for any questions that come up too. You can also discuss the quest here.

In any case, have fun! And don't get frustrated ;D

Edited by Avataro, 16 April 2014 - 04:59 PM.

• David likes this

#2 bti182

bti182

The Cigar Hound

• Members

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

Rules #8 and 9 suck, and not looking forward to the others.  Just got the mirror shield and trying to figure out what to do next without going insane, great game so far!

#3 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

I am having 11 rules by now and just found the hookshot, Really different quest alot of surprises by those rules.

Getting harder and harder. Great job Avataro with this quest :bounce:

#4 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

Ah, now that all the rules are in place, I think it is time I replay this quest once again. :D

#5 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Thanks guys for the interest! You sure should try it now, DaviAwesome, but keep in mind it's much more challenging now ;D. @bti182: I don't even know which rules you are talking about, since they are randomized and a lot of them suck xD

Edited by Avataro, 16 April 2014 - 06:30 PM.

• David likes this

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

So I came in here to complain about the difficulty curve because of the rules, only to see they're randomized... yeah... it's a good idea in theory, but in practice, it just throws the difficulty curve all out of whack. So far the first rule I got has been by far the hardest. And some of them... I have to say, I really don't like the no map rule. Have a map or don't, but don't disable it part-way through. That just encourages people to think "Oh, I'll just check my map to remember where this was later," and then suddenly they can't and they have to explore the overworld all over again. Which just wastes more time and brings on more rules. Which is the next problem I have: I don't really like the concept of the rules being time based. Basically, that means the worse you are to begin with, the harder the game gets, punishing the people who need the most help. And punishing people who like to explore.

Basically so far I'm seeing a lot of spectacular ideas with kinda not-as-great execution.

• ShadowTiger and Epsalon ZX like this

#7 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

Well Russ, I agree with you there, really! The idea was really great in my mind, but then I realised how annoying and difficult it can be, especially if you're unlucky. This is no normal quest. It has no difficulty curve and is unfair, but yet really fun (at least in my opinion).

#8 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

I'm on rule 10, level 2. It's okay I guess, even though the story doesn't make any sense.

#9 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

I really like the idea :)

Though I think it might work better with a quest that's already familiar to the player (like the normal Zelda 1), or maybe you could unrandomize the rules so that the more difficult rules come into play later on. I got the "use your sword every 20 seconds" rule followed by the "no map" rule and I'm feeling like I'd be better off starting from scratch because these rules are lowering my enjoyment.

#10 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

The No Map rule is one of the fixed rules. You can't prevent it from being added.

#11 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

Right, I didn't even know that there were optional rules that you may not get at all, but if you unrandomized at least some of them I think it'd improve the experience. The "no map" rule for example would provide a reasonable challenge when you've had time to explore the map properly; but if you get it before you're at least more or less done exploring the overworld, it moves from "challenge" territory to "aw, goddamn'it" territory. Maybe you could have some less bothersome rules be randomized, and have the more punishing ones planned for specific times.

Edited by Jamian, 16 April 2014 - 07:36 PM.

• Anthus, Russ and Avaro like this

#12 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:36 PM

It seems like no map happens after the first dungeon. So before finishing a dungeon, explore everything->screenshot->problem solved!

I assume other rules are applied as you finish more dungeons, so do the old Z2 trick: don't actually collect the pieces in each dungeon until you finish them all. Then the rules will only apply to level 9.

#13 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

IWon_zpsb59d930d.png

Beat the bonus dungeon. I suppose since the rules were disabled, I could have used potions here and made things much easier...Oops.

• Avaro likes this

#14 JetBox

JetBox

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:30 AM

Well right now I am screwed. First rule I got was the know getting hit while swinging your sword. The second I got was you have to go into the subscreen to switch items. The third was having to swing your sword every 20 seconds. Then I got the one where you can't stay in a dungeon longer for 10 minutes. Wow. All the hard ones first. I am having a lot of fun. 

[/sarcasm]

Okay, I am stuck, where is level three, or the level where you get the hookshot?

Edit:

Spoiler

Edit 2: Never mind, found it.

Edited by JetBox, 17 April 2014 - 01:08 AM.

#15 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:00 AM

Alright, thanks to the staff for processing my update to the quest :)

That bug that you mentioned, JetBox, along many other bugs (that were found by Eppy) are fixed. There are now some extra minutes, that delay the next rule, placed throughout the quest, for those who explore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users