Item-2: Shovel

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:30 PM

Heh. I thought listing the number of the item I've completed would be a good idea.... especially considering this is my SECOND Item Script.

I want you guys to know this now- This is a demonstration of what my Cane of Somaria script can REALLY do. After all, this Shovel script was made from the Cane of Somaria script itself! :O Seriously! So, don't think of this as a new item, think of it more as an extreme modification of the Cane of Somaria. icon_wink.gif

Okay. First off, you're gonna have to edit the values yourself. Don't mess with ComboX and ComboY, though. icon_glare.gif ComboDug is what the combo turns into when dug. Combo1-Combo5 are 5 WALKABLE combos you CAN'T dig in. ComboS1-S3 are Solid combos that you CAN dig in (I make all Solid combos no-dig normally, to save space. Only these combos defy that rule.). ComboSDug is what the Solid diggable combos are SUPPOSED to turn into when you dig them, but something's wrong, and it instead makes them use ComboDug instead. >_< But don't worry! Koopa is helping me, and soon, I will have a revised code that works no matter what. Now.... Due to the size of the file, I can't post it here. However, I've taken the liberty to put it on some of my own webspace. Specifically, Geocities. So, here's the link to it:

Shovel Script- Open in Notepad or anything like that and save it as a .z file!!!

Ask me any questions you have about it. And yes, change the values that are already defined as something other than 0 (For the variables before void run()). Those were left over from a test. icon_wink.gif Good luck using this....

Edit: MAN, THAT WAS FAST! The script has been finished and is perfected. Maybe later, I will make a Level 2 Shovel, which would work like the one in FSA. I'd need to make a Global Script for that, though.... So, have fun with Version 2.0 of the Shovel, the final version. icon_biggrin.gif Beta Link, I did this for you. Use it well. You too, Moonwhisper. icon_wink.gif

Edited by Matthew, 09 February 2007 - 02:48 PM.

#2 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

Thankyou for going through so much trouble for this. It will definately be used in my quest. No ifs ands or buts. I think you deserve a break now. icon_smile.gif

#3 Nimono

Nimono

• Members

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(Beta Link @ Feb 9 2007, 03:42 PM) View Post

Thankyou for going through so much trouble for this. It will definately be used in my quest. No ifs ands or buts. I think you deserve a break now. icon_smile.gif

Oh no, I'm not stopping.

Guys, if you have an item you'd like me to script, send me a PM containing your request. Just... If you don't want me releasing it to the world, let me know in the PM, too. By the way, check my sig for a link, in case you're THAT lazy. icon_lol.gif

So, requests MUST be sent to my PM box, okay? icon_biggrin.gif

#4 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:45 PM

Hmm. Something that bothers me about this script. Why doesn't it use the "Unused" combos as the diggables instead of assigning specific ones?

#5 Nimono

Nimono

• Members

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Feb 9 2007, 08:45 PM) View Post

Hmm. Something that bothers me about this script. Why doesn't it use the "Unused" combos as the diggables instead of assigning specific ones?

-_- Not combo TYPES, silly. Combo NUMBERS. You decide which combos are diggable/not diggable, and what combo appears when you dig. Got a problem with that? Besides, those unused combos will either be used or removed by 2.5. You REALLY want to use a TEMPORARY combo type to decide whether something is diggable or not?

#6 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:02 PM

I knew they were combo numbers, but only 5 combos that you can't dig is extremely limiting. From what I understand, the "Unused" combo type was meant to be used with Item scripts.

#7 Nimono

Nimono

• Members

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:20 PM

According to jman, the Unused combos AREN'T for that purpose. So you lose. icon_razz.gif But seriously, I'm sticking with combo numbers. Don't like it? You can easily modify the script to make it Combo TYPES instead.... if you know how. See, I find combo NUMBERS to be more versatile. Combo types save space, but combo numbers allow scripts to access a wide variety of combo types, thus you can do more things. On the other hand, though, types are more efficient at saving space, and they give you access to more combos at one time. In other words, neither is the better choice, from my point of view. icon_unsettled.gif So it's all good in the end. No matter which you choose, numbers of types, you'll still get the same result. Besides, not very many tilesets are going to have diggable ground you don't want dug up, and there will be very few solid combos you can dig up....

Edited by Matthew, 09 February 2007 - 10:33 PM.

#8 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:21 AM

Yeah, at first, I thought it used combo types. But then I realised that it was combo numbers. icon_razz.gif They are much more versatile.

Edited by Beta Link, 10 February 2007 - 11:22 AM.

#9 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:05 PM

I tried this Item script!

Yes, I learned how to squeeze scripts into items. I did put it into slot 50, then assigned "script 50" to the hammer. Funny result: the item was the hammer and the shower together. It made the hammer sound and the chosen shovel sound together.

However!
This script digs up everything walkable by default? This way the questmaker cannot use this item in the quest, unless there won't be too much walkable combo. Imagine when there is more than 5 type of warp in a quest... it's evil, but the player will dig up some, thus causing plot stops (unless the player can quit/reenter the screen, so everything goes back to normal).
So, can you modify the script so that it digs ONLY a certain selected combos? Not like I couldn't live with the current way, just that would make more sense... I think...

By all means... You are great!
(now onto the somaria script)

#10 Nimono

Nimono

• Members

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Feb 10 2007, 12:05 PM) View Post

I tried this Item script!

Yes, I learned how to squeeze scripts into items. I did put it into slot 50, then assigned "script 50" to the hammer. Funny result: the item was the hammer and the shower together. It made the hammer sound and the chosen shovel sound together.

However!
This script digs up everything walkable by default? This way the questmaker cannot use this item in the quest, unless there won't be too much walkable combo. Imagine when there is more than 5 type of warp in a quest... it's evil, but the player will dig up some, thus causing plot stops (unless the player can quit/reenter the screen, so everything goes back to normal).
So, can you modify the script so that it digs ONLY a certain selected combos? Not like I couldn't live with the current way, just that would make more sense... I think...

By all means... You are great!
(now onto the somaria script)

I told you to modify those variables. That's why it digs up everything walkable.... except one combo.... I'm not going to pre-define the variables because the combos will be different for each quest. So that destroys the script. People, don't give me that "Well, I don't know ZScript" stuff. MODIFYING NUMBERS IS NOT SCRIPTING! How hard is it to find the number of a combo on a list and replace a 0 with that number?

#11 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:19 PM

No, you don't understand as I see... I can specify only 5 walkable combo whiches can't be dug. This isn't enough. Or I can make it by rewriting numbers to be the "can't dig" be default, so from there I specify the exceptions (the able-to-digs)? Just because as I saw, you said that every walkable combo will "dig" and I can specify 5 whiches won't "dig". Looking at the script I don't know which part I need to rewrite to be "not dig" the default.

I know that rewriting some numbers (or by all means, some lines) isn't scripting.

Re-reading this thread you say that 5 non-dig walkable combos are enough. But think at least for dungeon floors... There more than 5 and even if you choose 5 non-dig dungeon floor then you won't have place for grass, ice, etc etc... Should we place everything on layer 1 and 2? Or maybe shovel will be disabled in DMaps whiches are dungeons, temples, palaces, houses... due to the item disabling option.

#12 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:23 PM

Why use not solidity checks, like the Cane of Somaria for more flexibility?

Edited by Fire Wizzrobe, 10 February 2007 - 01:24 PM.

#13 Nimono

Nimono

• Members

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(Fire Wizzrobe @ Feb 10 2007, 01:23 PM) View Post

Why use not solidity checks, like the Cane of Somaria for more flexibility?

I DID use a solidity check. I told you guys before, this script is made from the exact same code the Cane of Somaria used.

Now.... As for more variables.... No.

If you want to have Combo1-Combo5 be the dig combos, change any mention of "Screen->ComboD [BlockPosition] == ComboX" (Where X is any number from 1-5) and "!= ComboX" (Same thing as before) to their opposites. Remember this: == is "equals", while "!=" is "does not equal". Change any instance of "equals ComboX" to "does not equal ComboX" and change any other "does not equal ComboX" to "equals ComboX". Essentially, you reverse them. Too complicated? Okay. Let me change it up for you. But remember this: You only get 5 Combos to dig in, and most tilesets will have MANY more than that. Sigh... THIS is where Combo TYPES come in handy, but....

You know, that's just what we need- Combos that do nothing, but can be used by item scripts. I'll go make the suggestion. icon_biggrin.gif

#14 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:45 PM

My bad. I hadn't been doing C for weeks, forget how it worked, and I didn't look at your script very well. icon_blink.gif

Edited by Fire Wizzrobe, 10 February 2007 - 02:55 PM.

#15 Nimono

Nimono

• Members

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(Fire Wizzrobe @ Feb 10 2007, 02:45 PM) View Post

I mean definite solidity checks, where instead of checking if link can move into the tiles in front of him, you use ComboS to check for any tile. The flexibilty issues seem to be very weird.

See, that's a problem. If I do that, ANY solid combo becomes a no-dig combo, even the ones you CAN dig in! Sorry, but you guys are going to have to live with the script like this. If you need more varaibles, add more before void run() and put them in the right spots, okay?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users