Changes- What, Where, When, Why and How

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:30 AM

I'm so close to the end of development of Passage Through Time that I can practically smell it.Only bug-testing by me and others and enemy placement is left to go. So, I thought I'd ask for some opinions on an important topic in part 3 of my ongoing series. Here's a breakdown of what I'm talking about.

In the original Oracle of Ages, the map was 14 by 14. I'm not even going to begin to try to copy that world as it was then, since one of the guiding principles behind my game is that things have changed from the Labrynna we've been to before. Another important fact is the existence of the Mirror World. Think of this as an analogue to the Dark World or Twilight Realm. It is a bleak place, almost devoid of hope.

Each dungeon in that world requires you to beat a corresponding dungeon in Labrynna to access it. So I could have up to 16 dungeons if I had 8 in each world. As you advance, you'll effect changes upon the landscape of Labrynna, allowing you to reach things which you couldn't before. Items available in Labrynna won't be accessible in the Mirror World, though I haven't decided which realm will hold which items yet.

These are the points I'd like some help deciding on.

1. What to change between the worlds and where those changes will occur- For example, a sea could be dried up in the Mirror World, a forest that had withered in the normal world could be restored in the other and so on. The original game had a large mountainous area in the northwest with a river running through it, a cemetery on the east side, an island in the southwest and the city in the center. What about the Mirror World? Perhaps these landmarks are something entirely different there.

2. When changes take place- Each section would be accessible when you beat certain dungeons or got certain items. So which part would you be able to reach at what point in the game?

3. Why would some things change- If the forest is withered, how do we save it? If the bridge is broken, how is it fixed? Depending on what's wrong in Labrynna, a way to alter things would need to exist and it should make sense in relation to what is being altered.

4. How things have changed- This is more of an overall question. One obvious thing Link will notice upon arrival is that in the normal world, despite Nayru's proclamation of imminent doom; Veran is nowhere to be found and the people seem unaware of any danger. The only real discontinuity is that someone who should be there is absent and you're quickly given a hint as to who is behind that. So, what other things are different about the world? Is there still a Black Tower? Has something happened to the Zoras or Gorons? What ails the inhabitants of the town?

Here's a map of the original Labrynna, as seen at zelda.wikia.com. (Link provided due to image size.)

http://vignette2.wik...=20100430230607

I will take all suggestions under consideration.

#2 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:28 PM

Just thought I'd let people know that I've finished work on Northern Labrynna for this quest, including all layers. (The ability to edit layers on the same screen really cuts down on the amount of time it takes me to make an area.)

I haven't decided where all of the dungeons will be yet, but I have definite locations for three and potentials for one more. The first will be where the ember tree was, although it might not be a full-length dungeon. Your objective there will be to retrieve the Ember Fruit(Candle, Level 2).

One of the mechanics I'll probably be using is to make it where each dungeon you complete will open up the possibility of visiting a new area/dungeon in both worlds. Your choice as to what you do next will then determine where you will be able to go. Obstacles to your progress so far include a pit of lava that has opened near the graveyard east of the main town, a bridge out in town and a pillar that is blocking a staircase to the northwest.

Another location I'm definitely be using for a dungeon is the Black Tower. This will probably be fairly early in the game, maybe the second or third one you visit. I haven't decided what item you'll get here.

The third location is in a small lake on the northwestern mountaintop. You'll pass through Asymmetry City on the way. (Yes, you read that correctly. This isn't the Labrynna you know.) You'll have to have the Hookshot and Flippers before you can even get inside, so this is likely to come late in the game.

A fourth potential dungeon will be the former location of the Moblin Fortress. No ideas on the items for here, on the previous one.

I've already placed a few Heart Pieces and decided to revive the Locked Treasure chests. There are a number of small changes to the overworld, but it is mostly recognizable. Once I'm done with the southern map, I'll post both here; then start on the Mirror Realm.

I've decided that for the Mirror Realm, the other side isn't going to be either an exact copy or a reverse image of Labrynna. Instead, it is going to be its own unique landscape. The warps in each world will probably be scripted, though I'll likely use built-in Autowarp functionality to simplify matters.

One of the reasons that I'm holding off on designing it is due to the fact that I won't know precisely where I can (or should) place warps until Labrynna is done. I do have a starting area, the Forest of Forgetfulness; where you'll first arrive when entering this realm. You will be required to beat the first dungeon there before gaining the ability to return to Labyrnna.

For the most part, items from one world will not cross over to the other, though there will be some notable exceptions. Swords and shields will be universal, as will be the Magical Mirror. The Flippers probably will be too. Limiting your inventory this way will mean have to devise new ways of creating areas and puzzles since while you might be able to do some things in Labrynna, the same might not be true in the Mirror Realm.

I'll update again when I have more to report.

#3 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:39 AM

Wait, how the hell did you not know about editing layers on the same screen? Whaaaaaat???

#4 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

New feature for this quest!

The controllable Super Boomerang! (Name subject to change.)

Super Boomerang Example Quest

The script is in the buffer for those who want to use it. It can be set to activate any of the normal boomerang flags and will interact with enemies and combos like the normal boomerang would. I have several different puzzles and at least one boss in mind to use this.

Also, for those who care- 600th post.

#5 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:37 PM

I've got dungeon names and major items, though I haven't necessarily decided where all these will be yet; nor how large they will be. There will be definitely more scripted items in this quest; some of which I'm not sure how to do yet. But by the time I get around to them, i hope to have a better grasp of what I want them to do.

The setup will be after each dungeon in each world is completed, a path will open up. You can then complete a task to change the landscape of the other world to reach a new dungeon there. Each task will require an item from a previously completed dungeon in that world. So while you can do either world's dungeon first, you must do both to proceed.

Labrynna                                                                                

1 Slimy Sewers- Ember Fruit (an ammo based Candle 2.)                                                                           

2. Royal Gallery- Bow and Arrows.                                         

3. Uneven Edifice- Gale Fruit. Warps you in a straight line over small gaps.

4. Ancient Crypt- Switchhook. As seen in Item of the Month # 1. Longer reach than Gale Fruit. Also solves puzzles. 

5. Overgrown Outpost- Master Boomerang. Can be controlled in flight.

6. Derelict Galleon- Mermaid's Suit. (Flippers and dive deep.)

7. Secret Cove- Hammer.

8. Labrynnan Library- Wand, Magic Book.

Mirror World

1. Treetop Terrace- Bombs (before the dungeon), Magical Mirror(inside)

2. Diabolical Factory- A lightning attack...unnamed as of yet. Powers up equipment, shocks enemies.

3. Malevolent MInes- Seed Shooter.

4. Bottomless Canyon- Roc's Feather.

5. Subzero Storehouse- Heart of Ice. As seen in Item of the Month #1.

6. Fiery Peak- Bombos. Attack all enemies, light fires.

7. Ethereal Depths- Ether. Douse all fires? I'll have to think on this one.

8. Terrifying Tunnel- Quake- shake the screen. When used on special spots, changes a room.

The last dungeon in both will be the Black Tower. You'll have to switch back and forth between worlds to complete it. I'll probably begin deciding on the bosses for these next.

Edited by ywkls, 31 December 2015 - 03:40 PM.

#6 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:05 PM

This quest has been on unofficial hiatus for the past three months because I got completely wrapped up in trying to fine-tune my entry for the Winter Expo. But as of today, that hiatus has ended and I'm back to making this quest. Here's a few of the features that you can look forward to.

Sidequests- I've pretty much already decided on one of these which will be a recurring battle against a boss who will look similar to a recurring character from Passage Through Time. You'll meet him in various places and be challenged to a duel. If you agree, you'll fight and if you win; he runs off until the next time. These conflicts will become progressively harder and the reward for the last one will probably be the Golden Arrow.

I'm also including the locked blue chests from Passage, because I really liked them.

I haven't made up my mind on collectibles for this, though I may in fact have two collectible quests; one in each world. The probably reward for completing both is the best sword.

Naturally we'll be having the heart pieces and a trading quest.

Another thing I'll probably do is have more events where you have to perform some sort of task to help a person. Doing this will naturally make you get a better ending, although some events cannot be completed until you have access to certain items.

I still need plenty of ideas for bosses, so feel free to offer suggestions. I will take practically anything under consideration.

I've just about completed the game's intro and have begun working on the mirror world. I may need some suggestions for types of areas to include there along with names for them. So far, I have the Forest of Forgetfulness, an icy valley with some raised platforms and a low-lying plain that's partially covered with lava. Once I have at least half of that overworld done, I'll post a picture.

I'm not going to even bother to start scripting anything for this until I have the design down, because I may change my mind about how I want to do certain things later on. But after being inactive on this for so long, I can tell that I'm practically chomping at the bit to get back to work. So we'll just have to wait and see how much I'm able to get done and how quickly.

• Jared likes this

#7 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:40 PM

A little bit of news, because I'm feeling generous.

Part of the Mirror World is done. Check for my latest update in Post Your Maps for a sneak peak.

I've managed to implement the old Ice Block Puzzle script by Colossal. I'm not entirely sure how it works or whether I'll be any good at creating them, but they're definitely going to be implemented.

Another dungeon element I'm going to be including can be seen here.

Dungeon Floor Spinner

I can already tell from the demo quest I made for this that I'm very good at implementing this idea. No clue how much use it's going to see yet, though.

I also believe that I've figured out how to make my large traps work better than they already do. So, I'll probably be putting them into a dungeon or two. 

You can tell I'm getting serious about developing this quest, because I've started scripting stuff I've never done before. That's usually a thing I save until later... unless it is going to be intrinsic to the design of an area. And now that I have these features functioning, they're definitely going into this game.

Unless I'm inspired to make something else, I'll probably get back to work on the actual design of the game's world next week.

Edited by ywkls, 09 April 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#8 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:23 PM

So, I actually started doing some more screens for the Labrynna overworld today... and abruptly discovered something that left me both chagrined and eager to actually keep working on this. That is the fact that the original map of Labrynna was 14 x 14 not 16 x 16. I'll give you a minute to think over what that means...

If your answer was, a smaller overworld means less screens to design and therefore a faster path towards completion of the quest; then that was the correct one! I knew that the map was 14 screens wide, but I failed to also note that it was only 14 screens tall until I was designing one screen and realized its orientation in relation to another screen I had already done wasn't correct. Whenever I compared the 2 on my master map of Labrynna; the error revealed itself.  :augh:  :gonk:  :doh:

That means I have much left to complete in either overworld; which also means that it won't be as long before I can get cracking on my favorite aspect of Zelda Classic; making dungeons and puzzles. Here's a link to a topic discussing a  new item which will be featured in this quest. http://www.purezc.ne...topic=70038&hl=

Part of the reason I stopped work was because I had thought that I was going to be working on a large number of empty sea screens and trying to come up with some way to keep them interesting felt boring. However, the total overall number of screens I have left to do in Labrynna is now significantly reduced. (By a total of 28 screens.)

I haven't done any of the bosses for this yet (nor even significantly decided what I'm going to use where). This topic discusses what enemies I plan to have so far. http://www.purezc.ne...topic=69979&hl=

This also means that what I have left in the Mirror World is reduced, which is also a good thing since I was worrying about what to put in some areas. Now that I know I will need less, I feel that development of this quest will speed up once more. I'll probably keep this topic open until I finish both overworlds, posting periodic updates and maps of them once they're complete.

#9 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 08 May 2016 - 01:49 AM

Having been inspired by the lack of stuff I had left to do, I went ahead and blazed through the 53 remaining screens of Labrynna. Now that section of the overworld is complete!

Here's the map.

Labyrnna Map

It looks like the dungeons will be fairly evenly spaced over the two halves of the overworld and I've got plenty of room left for secrets and things. Now to get to the Mirror World...

Edited by ywkls, 08 May 2016 - 01:50 AM.

• Anthus and Matthew like this

#10 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:17 AM

I'm really looking forward to this game! Keep it up!
  • ywkls likes this

#11 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:44 PM

It's been a while since I've updated this, hasn't it?

Well, the quest isn't dead and I'm hoping to continue the progress that I've made over the last few days in the future.

I just finished designing the top half of the game's Mirror World. Here it is. (Please excuse the cuts in the picture, which were made due to splicing things together.)

Mirror World North

I plan to continue working regularly on this as time goes on, but I thought I'd share since it's been so long since I posted a status update.

• judasrising likes this

#12 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:10 PM

At long last, development of the overworld is done! Hurrah!

The next part is development of caves, houses and things which connect areas. Then I'll probably start work on dungeons, along with anything that I need to create in the way of scripts.

I've got a fairly good idea what I want to have happen so far as the story goes, although there are a few minor details I've yet to work out.

Here's the overworld map for the Mirror World.

Mirror World

I'm probably going to start a brand new topic for this quest, to discuss developments now that this portion is out of the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users