Bizarre Blinking Compulsion

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

Alright. So for a few years, now, I've had this weird blinking compulsion. I call it that only because that's the best way I can describe it, really. Sometimes I can keep it under control, but I've noticed that in times of emotional distress, or just plain stressful situations, it becomes difficult to handle, and, strangely, causes discomfort if I try too hard to stop myself.

Anyway, it basically just consists of squeezing my eyes shut as hard as I can. It bears a similar effect to cracking one's fingers. I can't really explain it all that well...Anywho, it's been really bad as of late, and I've been having to spend a lot of time in public around large groups of people, so I finally decided to Google it to see if I couldn't find anything about any conditions relating to it. No dice. The closest thing I found was people who are self-conscious about how often they blink. Not exactly helpful. I read something about a symptom of Tourette Syndrome being "repeatedly blinking," but I don't think it's really the same thing, and I have serious doubts about having it.

The point is, I don't know if something is wrong with me or not, and I've never heard or met anyone who had a similar problem...I'm hoping that somebody might be able to shed some light on this situation? >_>

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

I think it's just one of the many ways people handle stress. Different people have different reactions when in stressful situations. It doesn't seem like it's at all harming you, so I wouldn't worry about it. Think of it as a strange habit, like biting ones nails when nervous.

#3 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

If it is indeed comparable to cracking ones fingers, then I'd say you are fine.

It could be one of those things that you only do when you think about doing it. For me, I only crack my fingers if I've though about it first. The more I think about it, the more I feel I have to. I used to be the same with cracking my neck, obviously not a good idea. However, every time I thought about it I'd just try my best to forget, and eventually it stopped bugging me even if I did think about it. I don't know if that helps, but I hope it does. icon_smile.gif

#4 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:45 PM

Don't worry, I definitely have the blinking thing too. They used to call me Blinky in eighth grade. ... Before then as well, come to think about it. icon_blink.gif (No emoticon pun intended. icon_blah.gif )

Do your eyes get a bit drier than you think other peoples' eyes get? Or maybe you (we?) just don't notice other peoples' eyes enough to really get an adequate chance to answer this question.

#5 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Feb 25 2011, 08:45 PM) View Post

Don't worry, I definitely have the blinking thing too. They used to call me Blinky in eighth grade. ... Before then as well, come to think about it. icon_blink.gif (No emoticon pun intended. icon_blah.gif )

Do your eyes get a bit drier than you think other peoples' eyes get? Or maybe you (we?) just don't notice other peoples' eyes enough to really get an adequate chance to answer this question.

Ah, somebody who not only knows what I'm talking about, but actually has the same issue! ...Habit! ...Problem! ...THING! (What word am I supposed to put here?)

It's definitely reassuring to know somebody deals with the same thing. Do you have anything you do to curb the urge or something? I tend to just go with it until I find myself at ease for awhile. (If that makes sense...)

#6 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

is this why you are called Rem?

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE(trudatman @ Feb 25 2011, 09:12 PM) View Post
is this why you are called Rem?
... ... what the fu

I actually take a mental step back, compose myself, and smile. It puts a different type of action onto your eye muscles, as well as the muscles on the lower ridge of your eye, so it puts the whole area into a different "mood" .. for lack of a better word. It's about introducing a new environment in which you're not having to move the eyelids so much.

I guess it's related to restless leg syndrome, in a way. Its distant cousin. icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users