Greatest Custom Boss Ever Made

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hello, all. I haven't played very many quests, but I've been thinking - what's the best Custom Boss ever made? I'd like to see some screenshots of really cool ones from already released quests. I know that Shoelace has some good ones, and LI probably does too. Screenshots please?

~LostInHyru1e

#2 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:28 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yobGUxZ_JTQ

#3 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

Have you tried the sabotage dragoon demo its custom bosses are icon_eek.gif OMG Cool!!i understand pretty much how everything in ZC works but the way he made the pirahnna plant boss is crazy!!

#4 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

• Members

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:32 PM

Majora - that's quite the awesome custom boss. The shear amount of work that went into that...

#5 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:35 PM

Well, LI was built using FFCs, so some of it was a lot easier than it would have been otherwise. Still, it's probably the best custom boss I've ever seen. Granted, I haven't played very many quests... but still.

#6 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:20 AM

I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to insist it should be nominated here, but I was wondering what people think of my Devil Toad boss from DoR demo #2. It's a simple boss with difficulty fitting a level 1 dungeon, but I think it turned out pretty well.

I've been working on other bosses, and finished one of them, but that's the only one that's been released publicly.

#7 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:03 AM

Radien, there was a bug in the demo that threw me to the ending before meeting that boss. But according to the screenshots, your bosses are like the MMX2 bosses: they are not the upgraded versions of normal enemies, but neither look too bossey.

As for the battle with Sigma Dragolich... one of the best custom bosses, but I never felt that I'm fighting the "best custom boss" while fighting it.

The HoD bosses had some great feeling to them (no MMX2-ness) and the final boss of LI is also something must be noted. I have a soft side for the HoD Level 6 boss. No, not the darknut, silly! icon_whap.gif

I wish this thread were made a week later... [/shamed advertising]

#8 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:13 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Oct 12 2007, 12:03 AM) View Post
Radien, there was a bug in the demo that threw me to the ending before meeting that boss. But according to the screenshots, your bosses are like the MMX2 bosses: they are not the upgraded versions of normal enemies, but neither look too bossey.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. Do you think the Devil Toad isn't big enough? Is that it?

If so, I'll keep that in mind, I guess. Some of the boss graphics I've ripped (and plan to use) aren't that big. The unreleased lava dragon boss I finished is pretty big, though. And it spits a stream of fire that extends all the way across the screen. icon_thumbsup.gif

EDIT:

By the way, I had a question:

Was Dragolich's movement accomplished via Freeform combos? I noticed some definite combo cycling being used on some of the grounded obstacles.

#9 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:46 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Oct 12 2007, 11:13 AM) View Post

By the way, I had a question:

Was Dragolich's movement accomplished via Freeform combos? I noticed some definite combo cycling being used on some of the grounded obstacles.

Yeah, freeform combos. There's not much combo cycling used to make the bosses in Lost Isle because ff combos are just that awesome.
Someone already hinted that "oh but with ff combos custom boss making is so easy that it doesn't count". Well it's not easy at all I can tell you. You can get much smoother custom boss fights with ff combos, but I don't know if it makes custom boss making any easier. Faster? Yes, but not that much easier.

I'm glad people like the Dragolich, though the final boss of LI is the best custom creature I've ever done in my opinion. It may be a bit easy for the final boss, but at least it is a lenghty and cool battle.

Anyhoo, C-Dawg is still the custom boss master, nothing beats his ZQuest stuff. Though Radien's ZC knowledge is pretty awesome as well. DoR might be a pretty amazing quest if it ever gets finished.

#10 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:51 AM

I think we all know the answer to this... icon_deformed.gif

Botha v2.0!!!!
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#11 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

• Members

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:27 PM

Nice boss, Noel. Did you make that one?

And making a boss from Freeform Combos doesn't sound any easier to me. Perhaps faster, and definitely more effective, but not any easier. I definitely wouldn't consider it "cheating".

Edited by LostInHyru1e, 12 October 2007 - 05:27 PM.

#12 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:19 AM

^ Yes, I did make that one.

And yes, I WILL use FFCs for any upcoming bosses I may or may not make.

#13 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:41 AM

I'm partway through that quest NoeL. Interesting stuff. icon_razz.gif

As for my opinion, it's definitely NOT my custom boss. That guy sucked. Just a wolf head and you had to shoot arrows at it. I did like Shoelace's custom boss for Level 1 though in HoD. That was clever.

#14 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:11 AM

^ cool. I should mention that there's a tree with infinite bombs at the top of the temple... I should have changed it to magic when I changed the boss icon_doh.gif You'll see why.

#15 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:14 AM

I'll possibly notice. I did see the bomb tree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users