Photo

Zelda Classic not working on Mac Sierra?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:09 AM

Wasn't sure where to post this. So I wanted to run ZC on my mac, but because of Sierra, ZQuest just gives me an error and ZC just goes black when I go to the selection screen. Is there anyway to fix this problem? I really want to get back to ZC.

#2 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

There's a security feature in the OS that stops ZC from loading its data files. You should be able to disable it simply by moving the application to another directory and back in Finder. It has to be done in Finder; moving it another way won't work.

#3 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:56 PM

Do you know what security feature it is?

#4 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:43 PM

Gatekeeper Path Randomization, also known as app translocation. Applications not downloaded from the App Store run from randomized, read-only directories.

#5 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

Where do I find this?

#6 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

It's not something you can disable globally. A flag is set on the applications, and the way to clear it is by moving them in Finder.

#7 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:14 PM

It worked! Thanks so much.

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:04 AM

Whatever next build has a Mac version, I plan to fix this by using a packaging utility to generate an 'installer', for OSX > 10.10. I posted the information on the utility on AGN a while ago, but I have forgotten the thread title, and the name of the programme. It has been a low priority as I have yet to procure a Mac laptop to use for building ZC.

I obviously need to rectify that for 2.53 Gammas, which I will need to compile for Linux and OSX. One of my mates was going to give me a half-0broken MacBook to use, but he has been unable to find it. All of my local Mac workstations are G5-based; so if all else fails, I will try doing it on one of the OSX servers that I administrate.

Lazarus also has a Mac build, so I may be able to port ZLaunch to OSX, too.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 18 September 2017 - 08:16 AM.

#9 Wolfman2000

Wolfman2000

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:20 PM

It's been awhile since I've been here, but I ran into this issue myself wanting to reply the latest version of Randomizer Alpha. I had a different situation since I tried to manually upgrade from one version to...well, apparently a non supported version, but here's what ended up working for me.

• Delete the folder containing Zelda Classic and ZQuest. In my case, this was /Applications/Zelda Classic.
  • Download the correct version of Zelda Classic. In this case, it was 2.50.2. (I am still waiting for 2.53 to be available natively for Mac.)
  • Extract the archive file in my Downloads folder.
  • Manually create the Zelda Classic folder in /Applications again. (If you do not have access to the global Applications folder, your local applications folder should still work for this purpose.)
  • Drag the Zelda Classic and ZQuest apps into your newly created folder. DO NOT move the folder containing the apps over!

That should help those that are still stuck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users